Homemade Hamburger Helper

by FarmgirlGourmet

Homemade Hamburger Helper is one of the most popular recipes on Farmgirl Gourmet! There’s a good reason…it tastes better than the boxed stuff and it’s so incredibly easy!!  See for yourself!

Homemade Hamburger Helper via FarmgirlGourmet.com

I would like to start this post by stating that I have never made or eaten (that I recall) Hamburger Helper.  Ever.  My husband, on the other hand adores his salty boxed 1st love and asks on occasion if I’d make it for him.  We’ve been married for over 12 years and tonight….he got his wish.  Well, sort of.  You know me, I hate boxes and processed food, so I made it from scratch-a-roo.  You know what, it takes just as long to make it from scratch as it does to make it from a processed box?  Yep, true stuff.  Best part….you get to control the amount of salt.  No vats of water will be required after consuming this meal and it will make your box loving husband a very happy boy.  Maybe now that I have him all greased up with his favorite meal, I should slip in the “I want new countertops in the kitchen” plug?  What do you think?  🙂  Ok, you’re probably right…let’s go make some Triple H.

Homemade Hamburger Helper - farmgirlgourmet.com

Start off by adding a small amount of oil to your large hot skillet and add 1 lb of ground beef (see I didn’t say hamburger Nelly).  Brown it and scoop out any excess drippings before continuing.

Homemade Hamburger Helper | farmgirlgourmet.com

Toss in 2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni.

Homemade Hamburger Helper | farmgirlgourmet.com

Add in 2 1/2 cups milk (I used fat free but feel free to fatten it up to your hearts content)

Homemade Hamburger Helper | farmgirlgourmet.com

Also add in 1 1/2 cups hot tap water.

Homemade Hamburger Helper | farmgirlgourmet.com

Mix together the spices.

6-DSC_0615

Add them to the ground beef and noodle mixture and give it a quick stir.

7-DSC_0625

Bring it to a boil then turn down the heat to simmer and cover.  Make sure to watch it to make sure it doesn’t get too dry.  Add a small amount of milk or water if you notice this happening.  Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.

8-DSC_0631

As soon as the pasta is done, toss in 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese.  Give it a good stir and ring the dinner bell.

homemade hamburger helper recipe

Simple – right?  Skip the box and make it from scratch next time.  You’ll be glad you did and the kids will clean the bowls with their fingers.  (yes that happened).

Homemade Hamburger Helper

• 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add the ground beef. Brown until cooked through and no longer pink. Discard any fat. Add the pasta, milk, water, and spices and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Serve immediately.

Courses Main Course

Try these other quick weeknight recipes:

377 comments

Suzy October 23, 2016 - 4:41 pm

my family loved it as is. 🙂

Ann October 13, 2016 - 10:39 am

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes. My family thanks you, too! It’s so kind of you to share all your goodies with all of us. Have an awesome day!

ecka87Amber October 9, 2016 - 8:54 am

Hi there! My husband and I have made this recipe a few times and it is just great! However, I don’t have any elbow macaroni on hand and was wondering if I could substitute for a whole wheat rotini that I’ve been needing to use up. Would I keep the milk amount the same? Thanks for your help!

FarmgirlGourmet October 12, 2016 - 10:04 am

You can definitely sub any type of pasta you want. You may need to adjust times though as some cook faster or slower than others. So glad you love this recipe!!

Denise Stillwell September 1, 2016 - 12:44 pm

I just made this and it was a hit!! So easy and reheats very well. I didn’t have chili powder so I used a package of taco seasoning. Will definitely make again.

Lara August 23, 2016 - 5:11 pm

I’ve been making this for a couple years. I always make 4 or 5 batches of the spices at a time. I set out 4oz condiment cups & assembly line measure the spices/dry ingredients into each, then I pre measure the macaroni into bags, put a spice cup in each & toss them in the cupboard. It makes the weeknight really easy, I know all I need to grab is meat & cheese & I am ready to go. I like that you can adjust salt & spiciness for who’s eating it. I have even given away with instructions to people who need easy meals, but are trying to get away from boxed foods. Thanks for a great recipe.

Katie B August 18, 2016 - 3:38 pm

I have been using your recipe for a few months now and at least once every 2 weeks or so. It is my son’s favorite. I use smoked paprika and add just a bit more (I love very smoky paprika). I also omit the spiciness of it. My son even asked to take the leftovers in his lunch for his first day back to school. Thanks so much for a healthy, quick and very tasty meal!

FarmgirlGourmet August 22, 2016 - 12:10 pm

Hi Katie! That is so awesome!! I LOVE smoked paprika too! Seems I always go through it faster than anything else. Thanks for the comment and tell your son he has great taste in food. 😉

Tara August 2, 2016 - 4:23 pm

can you substitute warm chicken stock for water? Would like to add a little more flavor

FarmgirlGourmet August 4, 2016 - 3:35 pm

Of course! Sounds like a great substitution to me.

Donna July 9, 2016 - 12:22 pm

I’ve made this twice now and the family loves it. I refuse to eat HH from a box because of all the sodium, so this recipe was perfect. Thank you for putting HH back on our table. 🙂

May 2016 Monthly Menu Plan! – Mom Saves Money April 26, 2016 - 7:18 am

[…] Recipes: Homemade Hamburger Helper Honey Garlic Broiled Chicken Thighs Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers Ham & Cheese Crescent Bake […]

Stacy April 14, 2016 - 11:10 am

Made this with ground bison instead of hamburger and used Velveeta as I didn’t have shredded cheese. Delicious recipe! YUM! Will be adding this to the rotation of family meals.

Donna Stringfellow April 4, 2016 - 2:52 pm

This was delicious. I ended up using pepper jack cheese and it gave the hamburger helper a little spice. We will be eating this often. Thank you for this great recipe

T November 16, 2015 - 5:05 pm

What can I substitute sugar with? A bit grossed out by that :-/

FarmgirlGourmet December 6, 2015 - 1:31 pm

If you’re “grossed out by it” then omit it.

Kylie April 1, 2016 - 12:26 pm

What a weird/rude thing to say! I don’t like sweet/savory mixed together, but the sugar solely balances the flavors, not makes the dish sweet in anyway. I followed the directions exactly (just halved because I was cooking for one and only wanted one serving of leftovers) and it came out perfectly! An excellent, non-processed take something that is a secret guilty pleasure! Thanks for sharing!!

Gretchen April 2, 2016 - 1:13 pm

I found this recipe just the other day – looked so delicious that I decided to try it. I have cooked it twice so far (in a few days). Awesome recipe! I stirred a few times like the HH instructions, while simmering for 10 minutes exactly. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jennifer November 13, 2015 - 9:28 am

Continuing to cook the beef in the water and milk with the pasta didn’t turn out for me. The meat was over cooked and rubbery and starchy from the pasta. Grainy from the milk curdling and the flour not being incorporated properly. I think the idea is good but there’s something wrong with the execution. Here’s my idea… I’d omit the flour or cornstarch totally, the texture was almost inedible for me and very dry. The recipe lacked fresh flavor (like fresh onions or fresh garlic). I’d cook the meat with some chopped onion and a clove of fresh garlic and whatever else suits your family, drain and set aside. Then I’d cook the pasta with JUST water per directions. Repeat: Do NOT cook the meat with the pasta water/milk combo and pasta. Then I’d melt the cheese and butter in a saucepan. I’d probably add some cream cheese to make it creamy…mine came out rather dry. THEN I’d combine the three (pasta, meat and sauce) or let each family member combine how they like. My 4 year old hates meat in his pasta, so that is usually what I do. My husband doesn’t like the cheese so he added pasta sauce.

Ann October 13, 2016 - 10:36 am

Instead of complaining about the entire recipe – move on. Apparently you didn’t follow the directions correctly because I’ve been making this for a few years and have NEVER had a problem. So instead of trolling someone who was kind enough to share their recipe with others find another venue to dump your critical nonsense. The recipe is for a homemade version of Hamburger Helper, where you in fact cook ALL the ingredients together, and you NEVER add pasta sauce – that is spaghetti.

86 – Homemade Hamburger Helper with Orecchiette | From James to Jamie October 26, 2015 - 11:02 pm

[…] there, I stumbled across Farmgirl Gourmet’s Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe. Somehow, this worked full circle back to the whole “classic staple” idea. I mean, if […]

kate October 21, 2015 - 9:59 am

I didn’t grow in a “HH”/Boxed meal home so I didn’t have a whole lot to compare it to. However, for a meal that’s quick to throw together and that my 4 year old will gobble up, I’m all for it. This is so good and a staple in our home.

31 Days of Real Food Gluten-Free Meal Plans July 27, 2015 - 11:44 am

[…] 9: Homemade Hamburger Helper (make it gluten free using rice noodles) and a […]

mellie May 1, 2015 - 3:39 pm

Hi there. This was good. Will eat again. Thank you!

Krisha Emanuel June 14, 2015 - 10:38 am

My family loved this recipe. Did not have any cheddar on hand, so I used Velveeta cheese packet. Kinda defeats the processed part but it was yummy! Lol!

FarmgirlGourmet June 15, 2015 - 9:18 pm

Oh believe me…sometimes velveeta makes it into this dish in my house too. So glad your family loved it. Thanks for stopping by!

scott April 27, 2016 - 3:41 pm

Oh i forgot to mention you should never use hot tap water for cooking, you would understand if you seen what builds up in the bottom of a hotwater tank, just heat cold tap water and preferably not city water.

Bailey March 30, 2015 - 6:08 am

Perfect as is. Did not change a thing when making but my husband did add sriracha to it at the table. I am from Texas and I did not think it was spicy just thought it was a perfect blend of spice. Will continue to make recipes as is.

scott April 27, 2016 - 3:37 pm

I don’t use velveeta since they started puting gmo soy in it as well i do not use corn starch,

Nicole Lewis November 19, 2016 - 1:24 pm

I’ve been using organic arrowroot. Give it a try, it’s an even better thickening agent than corn starch!

April Monthly Meal Plan with Calendar & Family-Friendly Recipes! – Mom Saves Money March 27, 2015 - 9:30 am

[…] in this menu plan: Homemade Hamburger Helper Oven Fried Chicken Jambalaya Chicken Alfredo Bake Slow Cooker Ham Ham & Broccoli Strata Taco […]

Wendy March 19, 2015 - 7:01 pm

I love this recipe. I’m from the South and I didn’t find it (that) spicy at all. Btw, paprika isn’t spicy…
I would never have tried to pass this off as HH because that stuff just isn’t that good.

Mara March 14, 2015 - 4:10 pm

I made this for my fiancé and mom tonight and they both loved it! I’m not a cook nor have I ever really made dinner so this was a big deal and a big success! I don’t like spicy ingredients so I left out the paprika, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

Barb March 12, 2015 - 10:34 am

I made this last night, omitting the cayenne and the red pepper flakes, and it was a big hit with family both big and little. This one is definitley a keeper.

Melinda March 7, 2015 - 9:44 am

Is this spicy for the kids since younpit in cayenne and crushed red pepper?

Paula November 30, 2016 - 5:06 pm

No it is not spicy at all. As a matter of fact I thought it could use more flavor but my family loved it?

Chris December 6, 2016 - 2:10 pm

My son is 14 and has ADHD & Asperger’s so he doesn’t like spicy anything. He loves it. I would recommend trying it with out the cayenne or crushed red pepper the first time. That’s what we did. We thought is was too bland.

Courtney W. March 2, 2015 - 6:32 pm

I’ve made this a few times now, and we always love it. The last time, my husband said he could “eat nothing but this for the rest of his life and be happy.” I’ve subbed 2 tbsp of flour for the corn starch when I’m out, and smoked paprika for the regular.

As written, I don’t think it’s really spicy at all. My 19 month old loves it, too.

I’ll be sharing this recipe at a from-scratch workshop I have coming up at work (with proper citation, of course!)

Raquel Copeland February 24, 2015 - 3:42 pm

This is a great receipe. Came in handy during the winter storm in NC. Only had ground beef and macroni and of course the spices required in this receipe. Thanks. And BTW my wife is like your husband too all about the box. Today her mind had changed 🙂

Ami February 10, 2015 - 1:36 pm

This is the second time I have made this and it is really good, First time I followed recipe exactly, And this time I used ground pork because it was what I had defrosted and added green peppers, Both were delicious, Thanks for a great recipe

Lucy Lindenmuth February 8, 2015 - 8:25 am

I had to laugh as I read, my husband loves Hamburger Helper and I do NOT for your same reason Salt. He’s been bringing his request for his favorite quick meal many times to no avail…. Until I found this. I can’t wait to try this now since he earned it today. Thank you for sharing!

Trish Martin February 6, 2015 - 2:40 pm

This recipe is great! I did not add paprika I do not like it, so I added the same amount of onion powder, I also did not add the sugar. I was out of cornstarch so I made a rue using warm water and the same amount of all purpose flour. It tasted wonderful! Will most certainly be a stable on our table!!

Sarah February 4, 2015 - 5:42 am

This came out so well! My boyfriend loves HH, so I figured I would give this a go; his response was, “I’ll never need the box again if you keep making this!”. I added a whole jalapeno instead of the cayenne (just what I had on hand), and upped the amount of paprika and chili powder at the end to taste. Definitely a keeper!

Oma February 2, 2015 - 1:57 pm

Very, very good! Used what I had: No elbows, used spirals. Cut the paprika in half because all I have is smoked. A bit more cheese because I had a bit more threaded. Thanks! I served it with cole slaw.

Clint January 31, 2015 - 4:44 pm

I followed the directions except we use venison and added bacon because bacon is awesome. My family could have used a bit more spice. Very good! By the way, I am a “hubby”.

Dana January 30, 2015 - 5:12 pm

We love this! Since my kids don’t like spicy I leave out the cayenne pepper and the red pepper flakes. I have made this with chicken and kielbasa. I haven’t done ground beef yet, but we eat this at least twice a month. I also use whole wheat macaroni.

Cyrin Haggard January 28, 2015 - 4:21 pm

Tried to pawn this off to my kids as the real “Cheeseburger Macaroni” that they love. From the very first bite, they could tell it was different and not a good different. The more they ate the more they complained of how spicy it was. So unfortunately this will not be a recipe that I will be cooking in my home.

Dana January 30, 2015 - 5:09 pm

I make this without the cayenne and red pepper. My kids love it! Not spicy at all.

Trish Martin February 6, 2015 - 2:44 pm

You can change the spice mix around read the spice mix on the back of a box of Hamburger Helper and use that. If they don’t like the spice stick with onion powder, a little garlic powder, and the chilli powder. With a little effort you will have a recipe that your family will love without all the processed goop. Happy Cooking! 🙂

Melinda March 7, 2015 - 10:07 am

Just leave out the spicy

lindsey January 28, 2015 - 10:39 am

very good recipe, I subbed the milk for butter milk which brought out the taste of the cheese and used lean ground turkey instead.

Trish Martin January 27, 2015 - 3:29 pm

I have tried this recipe for the first time tonight. Not sure how it tastes as it is still cooking, but it smells fabulous!

Yvonne January 26, 2015 - 3:42 pm

This has been on rotation at my house for a couple of months now. I follow the instructions exactly every time and it’s always a hit. My son requested this dish for supper tonight, as it was over a week since the last time I made it. Thank you for the great and fast/easy recipe!! 🙂

Mary January 24, 2015 - 1:57 pm

word of the wise for kids no cayenne pepper…to spicy for my kids

Sarah January 22, 2015 - 4:04 pm

What temperatures are you using so the milk doesn’t curdle? I use organic milk and I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Stephanie January 13, 2015 - 5:41 pm

Made this tonight in a pinch for something quick and my husband likes hamburger helper. He didn’t even notice the difference! Came back for seconds! The only change I made was added a splash of red hot because I didn’t have cyanne added black pepper, didn’t have red pepper flakes that’s it. He thought it was from the box hehe fooled him. Definitely keeping this! Thanks for a great recipe that is much healthier, quick, and tasted great!

Ryan Hamelin January 7, 2015 - 2:18 pm

Seriously delish! I even liked it. I halved some of the spicier ingredients and added minced garlic and onion to the browning ground beef as previously suggested. Was terrific. Kids loved it and adults did too. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

Julie K. January 5, 2015 - 3:28 pm

This is so easy and delicious. Better than the box. Thank you for sharing!

Carmen December 30, 2014 - 5:38 pm

Made it and it was great! I’ve decided to pre-mix the spices and put in a small Tupperware container and then pre-measure the pasta into a jar with the spice mix in the jar. I printed instructions and taped to jar. This way it’s ready to go on a night we’re really busy. Just add meat, milk, water and cheese and BAM there’s dinner!

MiddleWorldWitch December 15, 2014 - 9:06 am

I’m a “tweaker,” so here’s what I did:

— 4 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. nutmeg (yes!), 1 tsp. minced dried garlic, 1 tsp. paprika
— Finely chopped a medium onion and browned it with the beef.
— Potato starch worked fine for me instead of cornstarch.
— I used 2 cans evaporated milk (we only rarely keep fresh milk in the house). Using 2 cans kept
things simple, instead of diluting it and having to measure, then having leftover evap. milk.
I increased the water by 1/2 cup (so, total liquid = 2 cups water, 2 cans evap. milk).
— I didn’t use hot water–I stirred the starch into “cold” tap water, then added that mixture
to the skillet. Mixing the starch with unheated water eliminates possibility of starch clumping.
— Added 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar for “brightness.” Lemon juice would do the trick, too, but
add it “to taste,” since I didn’t test that.
— Used one 12-oz bag of Heartland brand gluten-free penne pasta (available at Wal-Mart).
It took a little longer for the pasta to soften up. I simmered for 20 minutes and it was fine.
— 2 tsp. kosher salt seemed just right to us.
— I left out the sugar and we didn’t even notice.

The evaporated milk made the sauce seem rich and creamy, which hubby and I both liked. It seems like the liquid quantities were the hardest part to get right. I’m sure there are endless ways to tweak this recipe so that it suits one’s own personal tastes. Thumbs up!

MissMeliss December 1, 2014 - 6:05 pm

I, too, have used this recipe several times since stumbling across it. I’d planned chili for tonight but wanted something a little quicker. This was perfect. I typically skip the cornstarch. I often toss in a can of diced tomatoes.

mummaL November 23, 2014 - 12:52 pm

Amazing! Have used this recipe quite a few times now, haven’t bought a box of hamburger helper in years. Perfect for a quick meal with few ingringredients.

Lisa November 18, 2014 - 7:02 pm

Just changed the macaroni to gluten free macaroni noodles and its all gluten free too! Woohoo! Also changed to ground chicken breast for lower fat

Emily November 17, 2014 - 4:30 pm

I add some wilted spinach at the end for a boost of nutrition

carla November 17, 2014 - 7:31 am

Oh I think this will be the bomb-diggity after a rainy gross day & running to bowling night with my 2 little ones. Question though, how would this be if I made it before they got home & gave it a quick oven reheat when we get back home in 2 hours from bowling. Thoughts?

Trish Martin February 6, 2015 - 2:50 pm

It reheats wonderfully in the microwave. I wet a paper towel and place it on top of the bowl making sure no edges are on the outside (this will cause a steam effect in the microwave keeping the pasta from getting tough.) Happy Cooking!

fbl100 November 15, 2014 - 9:31 am

Made this a few nights ago after getting a bizarre craving for Hamburger Helper. I used ground venison and it was awesome. Thanks!

ibedave777 November 12, 2014 - 4:55 pm

I followed the recipe as shown and it came out grainy with little flavor. Thoughts?

Judy Howell December 9, 2014 - 2:30 pm

Try sauteing some onions and garlic in the pan first, then add the ground beef. Salt and pepper real good. Not sure why you got the graininess though.

Jennifer January 19, 2015 - 6:31 pm

for me, i wouldn’t necessarily
say grainy, but it does have a different consistency-I’m sure it’s the cornstarch. Next time, I will try with flour instead . It did also lack in flavor, doctored up with assitional pepper, season salt, garlic and onion powder.

Alyssa December 15, 2014 - 10:06 am

add cumin

Betty Doerksen January 13, 2015 - 10:29 am

I understand what you mean by ‘grainy’. I just tried this today, and the texture is a bit strange. Kind of the opposite of creamy. Lol. Not sure what else to call it. I wonder if it’s an issue of adding cornstarch straight to a hot dish, rather than mixing it with water first ?
I’m not sure, but I might have to fix it with more cheese and milk.
What did you do to fix it ?

Sarah March 10, 2015 - 8:01 pm

Milk curdles if boiled, meaning it forms small clumps. When this mixes with everything else, the texture becomes grainy or clumpy. Not desirable! You can either simmer the mixture at a lower temperature or use canned evaporated milk.

Kim Williams (@bratgrr1) January 15, 2015 - 10:59 am

Melted cheese gets grainy if you melt it on too high of heat. Try a lower heat and melt slower.

lindsey January 28, 2015 - 10:41 am

I used butter milk and added a tsp of mustard powder and that really helped with the flavor and try letting the cheese cook into the sauce longer, it should get more velvety if you leave it on there a bit longer

lindsey January 28, 2015 - 10:42 am

I also added a tsp. of hidden valley ranch seasoning and it was really delicious

linds February 27, 2015 - 7:12 pm

Be sure not to add the cornstarch too late, you want the liquid to still be cold when you add it in. Also make sure you don’t have the stove too hot, or add the cheese too early. I’ve had that happen in past cheese sauces.

danielle November 12, 2014 - 10:07 am

This was delicious! I added a bit of Montreal steak seasoning & onion powder to the beef as it was cooking, and it came out great!

Laura October 22, 2014 - 9:32 pm

I used unsweetened almond milk and rice pasta and it turned out great! The rice pasta breaks down a lot more than regular pasta so it turned out really thick and gooey. No cornstarch required. So good!

Jerri October 16, 2014 - 3:41 pm

Maybe my herbs were old (tho I think not) but I thought this had little flavor and very similar to when I doctor up my Mac and cheese. I want to try the beef stroganoff version – that looks yummy.

torrs13 October 7, 2014 - 11:04 am

This meal turned out great! My boyfriend downed it pretty quickly – that’s big news since he’s a picky eater!

Kathy October 6, 2014 - 3:15 pm

Man, wish I had known about this when my kids were younger. They loved the CHeeseburger hamb helper.

Lea H. September 24, 2014 - 9:23 pm

I really enjoyed this recipe.

Albertsons » Going from Boxed to Fresh | Guest Post from Darbi Townsend September 16, 2014 - 4:32 pm

[…] Get the recipe: https://www.farmgirlgourmet.com/2012/12/homemade-hamburger-helper.html […]

tyleratvcu September 8, 2014 - 5:47 pm

I would add some fresh ground pepper at the end for some more depth of flavor. (maybe onion and garlic if you’re feeling spunky).

Victoria September 2, 2014 - 3:26 pm

When my daughter was pregnant, I went with her to set up her registry. I noticed the baby bullet because of the cute smiley face, and BAM, decided I would make my grandson’s food. From there, I learned so much about food. Like another comment, I didn’t know much about food when my children were little, and my husband is picky, and I have an eating disorder where I don’t like food (real). I use all organic for my grandson, and working it into the rest of the family’s diet. I made this tonight with everything but chili powder because I don’t have any. My daughter said it was spicy enough with out it, even my 12 month out grandson like it. I did put 2 1/2 cooks of cheese, which I think is too much, because it didn’t look cheesy enough at first, and I did add minced onion and whole milk. I will be making this again. 🙂

angel September 1, 2014 - 5:51 pm

Made this recipe tonight, a spoonful of cream cheese would help with the texture issue, or if you are ok with it velveeta does work. I would also omit the cayanne and red pepper flakes for those sensitive to heat andadd a 1/2 tsp of cumin to add smokiness without heat. Some fresh herbs like parsley at thee end would brighten things up.

Angela Washington August 25, 2014 - 4:47 pm

OMG!!! This is soooo easy! And it fast sooooo much better!!! Thank you. And I love how you give instructions. Thanks again.

Colby August 20, 2014 - 7:16 pm

This literally tastes Nothing like hamburger helper. This is just a bland no flavor recipe? have any of you ever had hamburger helper

Cathy August 20, 2014 - 5:18 am

I made this, last night, and am in agreement- kiss that boxed meal, “buh bye!” I thought it was great. I also agree- adding some onion powder would have matched the box meal taste. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any onion powder, but my family really liked it! My son can be pretty picky, but he said it was good.
Thanks for this one!!

Cristina August 5, 2014 - 3:42 pm

I made this tonight and it was a hit! I used a small chopped onion and 1 fresh minced garlic wth a bit of olive oil and saute until light golden, added ground chicken and added a teaspoon of dried parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano. I cup the galic powder for 1 teaspoon and added 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes. used whole milk and tex mex shredded cheese. I even put a bit of cream cheese and everything else the recipe asked for minus the chili peppers. I had no leftovers. 🙂

Kelley July 29, 2014 - 5:35 pm

I made this tonight and turned out real good. I added some pepper, onion powder, italian seasoning and about 1/2 cup sour cream – for a little more creaminess. Recipe makes a lot of servings, great for lunch tomorrow too! Thank you!

Kelley July 29, 2014 - 5:37 pm

also added some Cumin as I saw the comments on not enough taste. Mine came out good!

Alexander Pilon July 23, 2014 - 5:12 am

This was great, my sauce turned out to be pretty soup so I call it “Hamburger Souper” 😛

Jen July 22, 2014 - 3:53 pm

Love this recipe. I try to make as much as I can from scratch. I altered the recipe a bit.
•used original soy milk
•less chili power and cayenne pepper
•used whole wheat noodles

Turned out perfect! Thanks!

Erin July 18, 2014 - 4:25 pm

Just made this for supper – I have not had Hamburger Helper in FOREVER, and this sounded really good for tonight. It was delicious!!! Much better than I remembered the boxed stuff, that’s for sure. The only changes I made were to just add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (I LOVE garlic, but I could taste a lot of garlic even with just 1 teaspoon) and I also added 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. I only put a pinch of cayenne in though, and left out the red pepper flakes because it would’ve been too spicy for my girls (6 & 4). That being said – both of my girls just cleaned their plates and my 4-year-old asked for seconds. This recipe is definitely a keeper – thanks!! (P.S. I used whole milk and the texture turned out fine. Maybe cornstarch was the problem for the one who commented on the curdled texture? I mixed together the milk, water, cornstarch and all of the spices at one time with a whisk before adding it to the hot skillet).

Ashley Hodge July 18, 2014 - 9:40 am

This dish had a really interesting taste and I cant quite put my finger on the problem. First I would probably suggest using a sharp cheddar cheese vs a regular mild cheese, might give it more depth. Secondly I found the texture to be a little gritty (not sure why). Overall it has a great foundation just have to tweak the cheese n spices to fit your family’s tastes!

Sonja July 17, 2014 - 5:17 pm

Just have to be honest and say I was really disappointed with the finished product. It’s just spicy without any REAL flavor. You’re still chugging gallons of water. If you’ve ever tried original Hamburger Helper, you will not be pleased with the results.

Monika January 29, 2015 - 4:03 pm

Thank you Sonja for acknowledging the extreme spiciness! With so many comments saying it was bland or just right I was confused…they did see that it calls for a whole TABLEspoon of chili powder right? It was too spicy even for my spicy-food-lovers. I am keeping the basic recipe but cutting way way back on the hotness…

Krissy Morris June 17, 2014 - 6:47 pm

Thank you very much for this. I can’t have dairy so i changed the milk to Silk milk and cheese to dairy free cheese. It was the best!!! My kid even loved it and he is picky eater. It was quick and east and best of all yummmmmmy. Thank you again Heather Scholten for having this recipe up.

Jennifer May 28, 2014 - 3:56 pm

Hi Heather, I don’t know if it’s just me, or if others are having the same problem, but I can hardly read the recipe because of the dark background with the black type. I’ve tried on the ipad and also on the computer. Just wanted to let you know. 🙂

Jennifer May 28, 2014 - 3:58 pm

Sorry for any confusion. When I hit submit on the previous comment, it apparently fixed the problem. Now I only have the dark background on the edges. Sorry for taking up your time!

FarmgirlGourmet May 28, 2014 - 4:16 pm

No worries Jennifer. I was playing around with the background last night…didn’t know it would negatively affect the recipes. Glad it was just a little snafu!! Thanks for letting me know.

Taylor May 20, 2014 - 5:09 pm

Our family reall liked it! I added some onion powder as well. I would have to say if you have little guys in the house ( my daughter is 2) you might want to use less cayenne and pepper flakes. My daughter ate it but kept saying ” Hot hot” and chugging water!

Mark May 14, 2014 - 8:59 am

For example http://happyforks.com
I recommend using tool called Recipe Analyzer to copy&paste list of ingredients.

ainemistig May 13, 2014 - 5:44 pm

I have a family full of picky eaters, and THEY LOVED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I shared the recipe, and I’m going to be checking out your other recipes!

Sherry klueber May 6, 2014 - 3:22 pm

We loved it. I added one tsp. of onion powder also.

Barb April 30, 2014 - 1:15 pm

It sounded like it would be really good but it just wasn’t. It was heavy and blah. I used the best ingredients available but this dish is lacking “brightness”… Perhaps a little Italian seasoning and a spritz of lime might liven it up a bit.

Nicole June 16, 2014 - 2:52 am

Seriously lime! You obviously have no clue on how to cook. Pairing lime with a beef and cheese pasta dish. Stay out of the kitchen.

angel September 1, 2014 - 5:11 pm

Lime with beef is really good,and generally the bright note in fajitas. If the lime is added at the very end it will not curdle the milk. Careful who you tell to stay out of the kitchen!

angel September 1, 2014 - 5:36 pm

Or you can use lime zest, all the flavor none of the repercussions

Nicole September 19, 2014 - 10:26 am

Who are you people?! Lime zest, repercussions?! What repercussions? Except that lime and cheese in a pasta dish don’t go together. You’re not making tacos here! Try adding some tomatoes or tomato paste.

MiddleWorldWitch December 15, 2014 - 7:55 am

Lemon juice or vinegar would likely do the trick to brighten the flavor. I would try adding 2 tsps. at first, and then add gradually more “to taste,” if you want. To me, vinegar seems like it would complement the cheese flavor really well. If I was going to assertively spice this up and call it “Mexican-style,” then I would try the lime juice.

Aundrea April 29, 2014 - 1:15 pm

My first time making this I used rotini pasta, added some minced garlic and a handful of english peas and diced carrots, and shredded up 3oz. of Tillamook smoked cheddar, 3oz. of Tillamook medium cheddar, and 3oz. of Tillamook colby jack (gotta keep it local!). It turned out amazing!! The second time I made it while visiting my sister down in Texas and all she had was preshredded mexi-blend cheese and some wide egg noodles. Even though the second version turned out OK, I have to say that using REAL cheese and shredding it up is WAY better than using the preshredded cheese. The texture is smoother and the flavor is richer. Also, egg noodles fall apart too easily in this kind of dish, so pasta is pretty much a necessity. I have added this to the rotation as my husband and picky-eating, 17-month-old daughter devoured it. Thank you!!

Leslie July 29, 2014 - 3:40 am

I used egg noodles and had no problem with them falling apart. perhaps you just cooked them a little too long? I’m with you on the cheese. I used sonoma creamery creamy jack and their 5 year aged cheddar. so good!

Erin April 27, 2014 - 12:41 pm

Awesome recipe!!!! Thanks so much. Kids and hubby love it! I’ve told everyone how easy and tasty this is and directed them to your website! Works great with rice too.

Lupe April 25, 2014 - 10:05 pm

I followed the recipe exactly how it was written and it was great! My kids loved it. Thanks for sharing!

Baddladyleo April 23, 2014 - 10:32 pm

Just made it. So delicious. Great recipe. I had to substitute flour for cornstarch. Added a few extra seasonings. Perfect!

Georgina April 15, 2014 - 11:23 pm

Can you just use all water instead of adding milk?

Torrie April 15, 2014 - 10:22 pm

I read the comments before making this and had high hopes that it would be good. Neither my husband or I liked it. I thought with all the spices it should taste good but it did not have any flavor to it. I won’t be making this again 🙁

Shelby August 20, 2014 - 12:18 pm

Spices can go bad. Make sure your spices are all good and the taste should be also.

Kathy April 14, 2014 - 7:30 pm

This is so good! Make it with ground chicken and skim milk and so awesome! Thanks so much for this recipe!

PATRICIA PRECIADO, SAN JOSE, CA April 14, 2014 - 3:39 pm

Thank you for sharing! I am making this surprise dish for my daughters tonight! We went GF 3 years ago after testing my 3 daughters for gluten allergy, 2 are gluten intolerant, 1 is Celiac. My oldest daughter is intolerant, and she has been suffering from moderate to bad acne since she was 11, she is now about to turn 23. She would have regular breakouts on her face, shoulders and chest, and avoided wearing tanktops or Vnecks due to her acne, and would tend to pull her hair in front of her face to cover her breakouts. I’m happy to report that a couple months after going GF her acne was 100% gone, she never has ANY now unless she strays from her GF diet, which is only the occasional beers with bf and friends and it will trigger a small breakout on her cheeks. She has such obvious symptoms that its very easy for her to keep herself on track and avoid gluten on a daily basis. However, she has had to give up so much spontaneity in her food choices. She was visiting last night and telling me how much she misses hamburger helper, and that she makes it for her BF and it smells so good, reminds her of eating it when she was younger. (I’m ashamed to say I didnt know very much about eating and preparing clean meals for my kids back then, although they were raised on home cooked meals). I work as a tax accountant, and have been working 7 days a week since January, today is my first day off in months…so I decided to look up a GF version. I’m going to meet her at work with this surprise dinner dish! I’m a very good cook and can tell right away that your blend of spices will be just right.. I’ll be substituting with coconut palm sugar and sugar free almond milk. I’ll be back with an update of the girls’ reactions. Thank you again for sharing, there are so many of us who benefit from the blogs and recipes people like you share with us, and it really makes a difference to our daily lives, I look up recipes every couple of days, although I rarely post anywhere. Thank you again!

Tiara May 19, 2014 - 4:04 pm

How was it with almond milk?

Katie April 14, 2014 - 2:07 pm

I am a big helper fan and been craving it for a week so i found your recipe online and thank you so much i will never eat the box stuff again sooooooo yummy

Laura April 13, 2014 - 11:56 am

This is delicious! I’ve been looking for a way to make gluten free hamburger helper but I could never get the spices right, but these are perfect. I left out the corn starch just because I didn’t have any, and simmered it without a lid because I didn’t have one for my pan and it still thickened just fine. I used quinoa elbows for the pasta.

For those of you who don’t like the texture of the cheddar cheese, you can use melted velveeta or one of those new velveeta sauce packets instead.

Nicole April 9, 2014 - 8:02 am

I have celiac disease, and I have made this twice now with gluten free pasta and it was fantastic! It tasted great and I love how simple it is to make. Thank you for this recipe!

emilymariechandler April 8, 2014 - 12:23 pm

This has become a staple because my two-year olds LOVE it… as well as my husband and I. I also toss in a bunch of frozen green peas at the end because my kiddos will eat them that way 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

heather April 7, 2014 - 2:25 pm

so I Wanted To Love This But The Whole Thing Curdled! I Used Whole Milk, That Was The Only Change?

FarmgirlGourmet April 8, 2014 - 7:49 am

Oh no!! I wonder if it was too hot for the whole milk? We make it almost once a week and I’ve never had a curdling incident! If you try again next time and use whole milk, try cutting it in half and adding more water. Again…sorry it was a bust for you.

heather April 8, 2014 - 9:02 am

We still ate it, tasted great, just off a bit on the texture. Will try it again!

Erin April 27, 2014 - 12:43 pm

I make it with whole milk every time and so far no issues… Odd!

Sherry klueber May 6, 2014 - 3:23 pm

Try adding the hot water first then the milk.

dylan April 3, 2014 - 6:23 am

Just made this, although with half extremely sharp cheddar, half american cheese. Had no elbows so I used rigatoni but in the end it came out amazing! thanks!

Bonita March 31, 2014 - 5:20 pm

I just made this for dinner… it was awesome!! Super easy to make and my 3 kids loved it too! It’s a keeper. Thanks for the recipe.

Yvonne March 26, 2014 - 4:23 pm

It’s become part of the weekly meal plan in our family – thank you for posting this awesome recipe 🙂

Naisha March 23, 2014 - 8:10 pm

Made this tonight and all 7 people I cooked for loved it, including my 18 mo old! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly March 20, 2014 - 6:54 pm

My husband and daughter made this for dinner tonight. Yummy! Easy for them to make and had flavor. Really like the kick at the end. This is a recipe you can add to and increase the nutrional value quite easily.

Thanks for sharing!

Azia March 20, 2014 - 6:51 pm

The only thing I tweaked with this recipe is instead of shredded cheese I used velveeta, and almond milk! NEVER will i buy the box again!

M March 19, 2014 - 8:49 am

I am not a fan of hamburger helper but decided to make it homemade and found this recipe. Turned out delicious!

Andre March 18, 2014 - 7:13 pm

Home Run!

Ravenhallow March 12, 2014 - 5:59 pm

Made this and added a little smoked habanero powder (I love spicy!), mushrooms, sweet peas, and kidney beans and it was AWESOME! Thanks so much!

FarmgirlGourmet March 13, 2014 - 9:01 am

YUM….love the addition of smoked habanero powder! You should check out my spice company for more unique spices and salts. Here’s the link: http://www.spiceologist.com Thanks for commenting!

Kim March 11, 2014 - 8:46 pm

I made this tonight and turned out delicious!!

Peggy March 10, 2014 - 12:56 pm

I’m making this tonight for dinner, I already have tri colored rotini pasta cooked, so I’ll add the pasta at the end, but I’m amused at people saying the texture of the finished product is weird. My mom cooked, and I have cooked from scratch meals forever, and that texture is real food!! Ingredients free of binders and emulsifiers!! They could try to make a rue of the cheese, milk, and cornstarch prior to adding it to the rest of the ingredients first if they like to decrease the ‘weird’ texture!! And as far as salt, they could use other herbs to add some flavor!! I guess it’s hard to get used to real food if all you’ve ever know is what comes in a box!

ang October 14, 2014 - 2:28 pm

I agree, when you make cheese sauces from scratch they are going to have a different texture because its not powder. I am allergic to msg and it is in almost every pre made or boxed meal. I love from scratch food.

Rémi March 4, 2014 - 4:58 pm

Thank you ! I really like this recipe, One thing about these “home made hamburger helper” recipes is that theyre perfect if you wanna improvise a little. For example im trying it today with diced red peppers and i also add oregano, cumin, and just use a pinch of cayenne pepper. I also use an onion and garlic to cook the meet. Easy to do, quick and also cheap! I,d say its a cool recipe to get the kids started !

Will March 3, 2014 - 4:04 pm

These were perfect directions! I am actually lactose intolerant so I couldn’t even try it before I served it. Everyone really loved it! Thanks so much! Can’t wait to make it again sometime

Christan Martin March 5, 2014 - 4:05 pm

Hey Will – I made it tonight with “Rice Dream” Rice Drink (milk) – came out amazing. Might be something to try. I substitute it in all my recipes with milk because my son has Aspergers.

Stacey March 2, 2014 - 4:07 pm

Do you think evaporated milk could be used?

FarmgirlGourmet March 4, 2014 - 8:46 am

you could – you may want to thin it with water.

Tricia March 2, 2014 - 1:48 pm

This may sound crazy but any idea on calorie count?

FarmgirlGourmet March 4, 2014 - 8:47 am

No idea Tricia! There are some calorie counters on the web where you can plunk in the recipe. I don’t know it off the top of my head though. Sorry.

Rhiannon March 29, 2014 - 2:48 pm

They have calorie calculators for your own recipes? Amazing!

Sarah Medina April 8, 2014 - 7:06 pm

I used a calorie calculator for this recipe. I use 1% milk and mild cheddar cheese when I make it. This recipe totals about 3,100 calories.

Who doesn’t love hamburger helper… | Lifes Little Adventure March 2, 2014 - 11:21 am

[…] Read more at https://www.farmgirlgourmet.com/2012/12/homemade-hamburger-helper.html#j8QUkArSSLrVgtiw.99 […]

Jasmine Paulina Day Kalfayan February 28, 2014 - 3:14 pm

This was a good recipe. It wasn’t as flavorful as I like it so I added a dash of cumin, pinch more of salt, and a spoonful of cream cheese 😉 Perfect! Thank you for the recipe

Cassie February 28, 2014 - 5:58 am

I’m sorry. We didn’t love it 🙁 It was kind of strange textured because of the cheddar and didn’t have enough flavor for us. Still trying to find a good recipe and get “off the box”.

Jennifer Gardner, MD February 25, 2014 - 12:36 pm

Love this version, making it tonight.
Thanks!
Jennifer Gardner, MD, Founder Healthy KIds Company

Menu Plan Monday #83 | Pa-BLAM! February 24, 2014 - 2:33 pm

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper […]

Jenn February 17, 2014 - 5:22 pm

Eating this now! You would never know it wasn’t a boxed mix! Seasoned perfectly and just a hint of kick! I used ground turkey, omitted the sugar and used whole wheat noodles and it is fantastic! Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Garrison February 25, 2014 - 5:38 pm

Just tried … Awesome. Family said it a keeper! Bye bye betty Crocker

Erin S. February 17, 2014 - 4:39 pm

Made this tonight and it was a hit! My husband went back for seconds! It was a bit salty, so next time I would omit the salt, I think the cheddar we used had enough salt. This is definitely a keeper! Thanks!!

Stephanie February 17, 2014 - 4:36 pm

I make the Rice Oriental flavor, but homemade. I don’t know if HH makes this flavor anymore—it was one of their first flavors when HH was introduced back in the ’70’s.

• RICE ORIENTAL CLONE
1 lb ground beef
1 c white rice (uncooked)
2 1/2 c beef broth (I use soup base to make broth)
3 T. soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t rice wine vinegar
1/4 t red pepper flakes
2 t cornstarch
Brown ground beef and drain fat. Stir in rice and beef broth. Cover, lower heat to med/med low and simmer gently 20 minutes or until rice is done. Meanwhile combine rest of ingredients. Uncover; add remaining ingredients and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.

sarah February 16, 2014 - 1:35 pm

I add a teaspoon of cumin and my family likes that a bit better. This is a great recipe though!

Diana February 15, 2014 - 2:19 pm

I just made this…followed the recipe to a “T”. I have to say, as a fan of H.H., this tasted nothing like the original. To me, it was like a taco-ish casserole. Maybe there was too much spiciness, I don’t really know. It wasn’t bad, it just was not what I was expecting. I probably wont be making this again. Also, I thought there was way too much liquid. Something about it was “off”.

Angie Speer February 9, 2014 - 2:25 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I will be trying this as I am the cheeseburger hamburger helper fan. Thing is I don’t like it much anymore just taste like they changed the flavor. Yours sounds yummy!

rebecca February 9, 2014 - 10:15 am

just made this last night – d’lish!!! thanks for the recipe!

Melissa February 4, 2014 - 2:11 pm

Hi! This recipe is so good!!! Just wondering if I could use a different pasta like penne? How much would I use since it’s a larger pasta?

FarmgirlGourmet February 5, 2014 - 8:38 am

Absolutely…we use bow ties and other pasta all of the time. Still use the same quantity, you may need to add a bit more water, watch it as its cooking to make sure it doesn’t get too dry. Penne will suck up more water than egg noodles will. Thanks for commenting!!! 🙂

Edamommmy January 31, 2014 - 6:03 pm

I have been a huge Hamburger helper lover since I was a kid. I don’t like processed products with all the sodium and ingredients you can’t pronounce. Plus recently, I made it and I think I’m allergic, I had a very stomach after. So this was an amazing recipe made from scratch!!! Well done.

Megan Barrow January 30, 2014 - 3:56 pm

So the directions don’t say when to add the cornstarch??

FarmgirlGourmet February 1, 2014 - 2:10 pm

You’re right!! Add at the same time you add the spices. Thanks for the heads up. Will change that.

Terry January 26, 2014 - 7:16 am

This was great! I like because you can control the salt you add; packaged kind is loaded with sodium and things you cannot even pronounce. This is the real thing! Terry

caroline January 20, 2014 - 4:05 pm

Can I cook this and put it in the freezer?

FarmgirlGourmet January 23, 2014 - 11:51 am

I have never tried that so I’m not sure how it would turn out. You can add the dry ingredients (pasta and spices) together and place in a zip top bag to make this easier to make.

caroline January 23, 2014 - 4:36 pm

okay thanks! I made this tonight with the addition of chopped onion and red pepper…I don’t think we’ll have enough to freeze 😉 thanks

Billy Anne Crews January 19, 2014 - 4:11 am

This was a hit!

angela m. January 16, 2014 - 4:12 pm

i just want to say thank you so much for this recipe! my 8 year old asks for it whenever it is his turn to pick dinner and my suddenly VERY picky toddler had two helpings tonight! huge hit and i will share it with EVERYONE!

Caitlin January 15, 2014 - 12:09 pm

I just found your blog because I unfortunately have a hamburger helper addiction…I tried your recipe and it blew me away! I can’t wait to try some of the other stuff you have come up with. Thanks so much!

When the box just ain’t working: homemade Hamburger Helper | write meg! January 14, 2014 - 1:00 am

[…] we turned to our trusty friend: the Internet. A quick search for a homemade version led Spencer here, and what a glorious find it […]

Homemade Hamburger Helper | The Spiffy Cookie January 9, 2014 - 5:01 am

[…] Source: Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Sarah C. January 6, 2014 - 3:53 pm

This was delish! Very filling and the kids loved it! My 15 year old son helped make it!

Wifey0113 January 5, 2014 - 6:15 pm

Wow, you weren’t kidding the kids clean their plate. I am so glad I stumbled across this. My husband loved the packaged kind, I have always hated it. This has become an instant classic. Thank you!!!!!

Chloe January 2, 2014 - 6:26 pm

My son eats almost everything I make, my daughter not so much. She gobbled this up!! I didn’t have enough cheese, so I added some condensed cheese soup, it was so tasty! Thank you.

KP December 28, 2013 - 2:18 pm

I made this with a pound of ground venison and no pepper flakes. My son loved it! This is an excellent recipe!!

FarmgirlGourmet December 30, 2013 - 10:44 am

Yum that sounds great!!

jtelek December 17, 2013 - 7:39 pm

This is REALLY YUMMY! I’m embarrassed to say that Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Mac was a FAVORITE of mine growing up…well, as an adult too, but would NEVER make it for my own family simply because of the sodium content and well, the fact that it comes out of a box with who knows what is coming out of it. I made this tonight and even my husband thought it was amazing! I did add mushrooms and onions when browning the burger and added an extra cup of cheese and it was REALLY GOOD!!!! I will make it again!

Yecenia Atkins December 4, 2013 - 7:55 pm

wow, I was trying to figure out dinner and i kept thinking something with groundbeef, this is an awesome recipe, it smells good(im making it) going by all the comments I am sure its going to come out great!

Catherine December 2, 2013 - 2:42 pm

This is the first time that I’ve come across your page and I have to say, if it can make my sickly housemate come out of hibernation and states that he wants it… that’s saying something! I can’t wait to serve it to my beau and my friend because it’s starting to make my tummy growl. Haven’t made HH in a few months since we’ve been trying to save money and now that we have this recipe, I think we’ll save even more.
Thanks for the recipe and the awesome tips. I can’t wait to browse more of your site!

Menu Plan Monday #73 | Pa-BLAM! December 2, 2013 - 2:27 pm

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper […]

Thanksgiving Weekend 2013 | December 1, 2013 - 6:51 pm

[…] I whipped up a mock-Hamburger Helper without all of the fake stuff that’s in there.  I found this recipe on Pinterest when I was looking for something to make with the ground beef we had thawed.  It […]

Jamie Reynolds November 27, 2013 - 5:09 pm

I HATE hamburger helper. This was so good and I even went back for seconds.

Liz November 18, 2013 - 1:09 pm

I MUST comment! My husband really doesn’t like HH, so we had a competition with a non-English-Speaking guest: his fresh grilled fish vs. my HH. Guess who won? Lol. Only problem was guilt about “the box”. Thank you! 🙂 I can’t wait!

Jeanine November 18, 2013 - 10:08 am

This is the best recipe! Way better than the box

Adam November 13, 2013 - 5:07 pm

Omg this recipe is so good! It’s tastes like the boxed kind buy better. I’m so impressed:)

Shelly Taylor November 12, 2013 - 4:19 pm

Yummy! Boys wiped up what was left on their plates with their garlic bread!!!! I made the recipe exactly as stated and it was perfect & easy! Thank you!

Sheila November 11, 2013 - 12:28 pm

When my Sweet Husband and I married 8 yrs. ago, he told me one of his favorite things was Hamburger Helper. I thought “Ugh! I’ve not made that since I was in college and had no money!” Well, every now and then I’ve made a box, but I’m
SO glad I came across your recipe! It’s bubbling away on the stove right now. He’s gonna love it and I know I will because I can control the salt and the seasonings!
Thank you! Thank you!

Meghan November 2, 2013 - 6:06 pm

I made this tonight for my boyfriend and me and we loved it! And he’s a picky eater, so I would consider that a VERY good compliment! He had never had the boxed stuff, and I hadn’t had it in six years so we weren’t sure how it would turn out. I may cheat a little next time and add some Rotel Tomatoes to it, but it was wonderful on its own! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

chaas82Cass October 30, 2013 - 6:29 pm

I made thise recipe like 4 times this year, we love it!!!

Ruth Velazquez October 30, 2013 - 4:05 pm

Easy peasy. Added mushrooms too. I used to love Hamburger Helper, but it’s too salty so I like this low salt alternative.

Joyce Wells October 27, 2013 - 11:47 am

I had some small zip-loc bags from the craft store. I used these and measured all the dry ingredients in these bags, I made up 10 of these and stored them in my freezer. It made making this recipe even easier. I do this for a lot of home made recipes. I just put them in a larger zip loc, (like a sandwich bag) and label it.

Amy November 21, 2013 - 2:55 pm

What a great idea!!

Candice Hilaire October 26, 2013 - 5:34 pm

Made this for my family tonight and added crumbled maple bacon into it… They loved it!!! Thank you soooo much for this simple recipe!!!

Menu Plan Time! HolleyMommy October 21, 2013 - 2:40 pm

[…] Homemade Cheeseburger Mac & […]

Kathy October 18, 2013 - 4:53 pm

Thanks for sharing this homemade hamburger helper. It looks so easy. I think even I I can handle this one, lol

sisters playing house October 15, 2013 - 2:11 pm

Just wanted to say that we have used this recipe as a base many times – adding our own touches and flavorings. This is one excellent recipe!!!

Chrissie September 30, 2013 - 7:15 pm

Made this tonight for my family, they loved it!!! I changed up the seasoning some to make it less spicy and added in some Italian seasoning. Easy, great recipe.

Garlic Girl September 24, 2013 - 3:38 pm

I am so happy I met you. And not JUST because I learned about this recipe for my favorite childhood recipe. 🙂

FarmgirlGourmet September 24, 2013 - 5:10 pm

It was awesome finally meeting you too Jodi. Thanks for making IFBC so great! I am still drooling over the rag rug…I am saving my pennies and will be ordering one soon!!

Jen @ Savory Simple September 24, 2013 - 10:33 am

I may just have to try this!

Steve September 22, 2013 - 7:45 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I had some leftover hamburger and this was great way to utilize it. I added some sauteed onion, then a quick rue of butter and flour, a little white wine and chicken stock reduced before the macaroni and wet stuff (I can’t leave a good recipe alone), and then added steamed broccoli florets to the mix at the end. It was nice to get some veggies in there, and it came out fantastically delicious. Thanks for the recipe and idea!

MiddleWorldWitch December 15, 2014 - 8:00 am

That sounds outstanding… thanks for sharing! Will have to try.

David September 22, 2013 - 5:39 am

My wife has long term health problems and doesn’t have the strength to cook. We have found that processed food has an effect on her, so as the chief cook, I am always looking for recipes. This one will be serving tonight at chef David ‘s.

Maria September 19, 2013 - 4:45 pm

Looks great but never use hot tap water! Hot water dissolves contaminants, like lead, more easily.

fawn January 10, 2014 - 8:28 am

You could just heat the tap water in the microwave or on the stove before putting it onto the pan. This recipe sounds like something my kids would love!

Cheryl September 11, 2013 - 9:44 am

Delicious recipe. I make a batch and send my son home with half

Nancy September 9, 2013 - 7:18 pm

This was really quite good. I used ground turkey. I think it will taste even better as a leftover!

Richard September 9, 2013 - 4:39 pm

Love to have one for the Helper Lasagna

michelle selinger September 23, 2013 - 4:48 pm

I just made it, I used vegetable juice instead of water 2 cups milk, 2 cups veggie juice a bit more sugar and lots of Italian herb blend, no chili spice. Any tomato juice would do 🙂 It turned out super good!!

Carolyn D. September 9, 2013 - 3:04 pm

I wish my daughters would’ve eaten it! My 5 year old said it was good but then started eating slower and slower and my 2 year old wouldn’t even try one bite. Frustrating! I thought they’d love it! 🙁

E.R. September 1, 2013 - 10:04 am

Made this yesterday. Hope it will freeze well, because it’s a lot of food. Didn’t have the elbow macaroni, so I used Penne. It was delicious. Quick, easy, what more could you ask for? BTW – I used ground round. Good stuff.

audrei September 7, 2013 - 6:16 pm

What a great recipe I just finished cooking it, and it taste better than the box. I actually used cream instead of milk though.

Polaris September 10, 2013 - 9:14 am

I made this for 1. It froze well and tasted delicious. I don’t have all those spices in my pantry so I just used taco seasoning and it tasted amazing.

Dana August 14, 2013 - 4:40 pm

I made this with turkey kielbasa sausage instead of ground beef it is amazing! It is added to rotation of meals.

Homemade Hamburger Helper | Trial and Error of All Things Domestic August 8, 2013 - 5:01 am

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper (modified from Farmgirl Gourmet) […]

Cain August 6, 2013 - 4:12 pm

My family and I thought this was a fantastic dish. I used egg noodles instead of elbow macaroni. Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes 🙂

Samantha July 30, 2013 - 4:00 pm

I added a bit of onion and my lanta that was amazing!

Menu Plan Monday! | HolleyMommy July 23, 2013 - 1:46 pm

[…] Cheeseburger Macaroni (I used this recipe…my husband loves […]

DZ July 15, 2013 - 12:58 am

Hi there, I come from a country that does not sell the Hamburger Helper mix. But as your recipe is a one-pot (hooray!) macaroni and cheese hybrid with minced beef in it – two of my fave things to eat – I made this last weekend. OMG so good. Thank you so much for sharing 🙂 Love, DZ from Malaysia

Alisha July 13, 2013 - 6:06 pm

Thank you for posting this. My 5 year old
really loved it. I am just learning how to cook from scratch. Once again thank you.

Charlotte July 9, 2013 - 3:44 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe! My family and friends really dig it and it is so easy! As a mom, musician, and all around busy person, this recipe has made my life a lot easier in the kitchen. Plus I have loved all the suggestions on how to change it up a bit.

Jo Thompson June 27, 2013 - 5:56 pm

This was FANTASTIC! Our house went Gluten Free almost 4 years ago, and my family has missed HH soo much. Two thumbs WAY up! Thank you so, so SO much!

FarmgirlGourmet July 2, 2013 - 3:31 pm

Awesome Jo! So glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

Mr. Nick July 8, 2013 - 2:59 pm

Hey!! Mine came out great! I was just a little concerned that it wasn’t as yellow in color as it is when I cook it out the box normally. I used about 2 1/2 cups of shredded American Cheese.

Vicki July 28, 2013 - 10:16 am

We have also gone GF, but before we did, we made this recipe and it was awesome. Tonight I’ll be cooking it with GF pasta. Yippee!!

Joelle June 26, 2013 - 9:03 pm

This was so easy. I made a gluten and dairy free version and it was still easy! Took little more time because I make the milk and the noodles take a little longer, but not much longer. I think next time I may try and cook the noodles a little bit before I add it to the meat and let it finish in the sauce. Maybe they will cook a little more evenly. In the future, if it is okay with you, I would like to add this to my blog and refer it back to you. Not sure when that will be, but I will let you know and in the mean time wait for your “OK” or not =) Thanks!!

FarmgirlGourmet June 27, 2013 - 2:37 pm

Go for it Joelle. Just give credit and please use your own pics. Otherwise, I am stoked that you loved it and want to share. 🙂 ~heather

Joelle June 28, 2013 - 4:33 pm

Thanks! Definitely….Although your’s looks more appetizing than mine! And it still tasted good for leftovers!

shannon June 25, 2013 - 12:29 pm

I have the worlds pickiest eight year old…he asks for this once a week. Thanks so much. Love it

FarmgirlGourmet June 26, 2013 - 11:25 am

so awesome. you made my day!

Diana Rader Shrome June 20, 2013 - 2:02 pm

This is delicious..not sure why people have to be so critical and opinionated when a recipe is not for them. If you don’t like something, just don’t make it again. Easy meal..can be tweaked to anyone’s tastes..will make it again and again when low on groceries!

FarmgirlGourmet June 20, 2013 - 4:38 pm

Thank you Diana! It’s the nature of the beast when you put yourself (or recipes) out there, there’s always going to be someone who will have something not nice to say. Some of my recipes aren’t for everyone – sometimes not even for the mouths in my house. I do appreciate hearing feedback (especially good). 🙂 Thanks for commenting!! xo ~heather

Sherry Banks June 18, 2013 - 4:32 pm

This made a really nice addition to a side salad and homemade biscuits and what I really appreciated was knowing exactly what was in the meal and not having to worry about an allergic reaction as was the case when I used the boxed meal. Thanks … I will definitely make this one again!

FarmgirlGourmet June 18, 2013 - 5:59 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Sherry! It’s definitely a keeper and kid approved. 🙂

Desiree June 17, 2013 - 6:19 pm

I made this with a few changes were a gluten free casein free house so no dairy…
I used bison hamburger, almond milk, corn elbow macaroni… I also minced up some onion
But it turned out awesome thanks

FarmgirlGourmet June 18, 2013 - 11:47 am

sounds fantastic Desiree! Thanks for commenting.

Michyelle June 15, 2013 - 3:29 pm

I absolutely love this I made it tonight and it is so much better than the box my kids loved it. Thank you so very much for sharing

FarmgirlGourmet June 17, 2013 - 8:48 am

Yay – I love hearing this!! So glad it was a hit. Bye bye BOX! 🙂 Happy Monday!

Ana June 11, 2013 - 1:16 am

I loved HH as a kid, but stopped eating it when I later learned what was actually in it lol. I just made this recipe tonight, and it was sooo delicious. I’ll definitely be making it again! I think next time I might add tomatoes as well. Thank you for the amazing recipe! 🙂

OnAQuestt June 6, 2013 - 10:24 pm

I’ve actually been making a version of this for 40 years (raised 5 kids, so often the motivation was quick, cheap, easy, and healthy). I change it up depending on what I have available, but adding broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, and onions are the norm.

Sabiha May 31, 2013 - 5:25 pm

I’m a vegetarian and I made this with protein crumbles and added a can of diced tomatoes. I also used Velveeta. It was delicious!

FarmgirlGourmet June 4, 2013 - 12:26 pm

That is awesome!! I will have to give protein crumbles a shot. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out!!

Linda May 29, 2013 - 7:12 pm

Fantastic! recipe, I added minced garlic and onions and mushrooms. Used whole wheat pasta( barely noticeable as it was flavourful ) I will definitely making this again and again.
Thanks so much for this !

FarmgirlGourmet June 4, 2013 - 12:28 pm

Thanks for commenting – so glad it was a hit at your house. Minced garlic is a great addition for sure. Now I want some HH!

Erin May 26, 2013 - 10:14 am

This is great. I grew up on boxed food. I honestly don’t remember my parents ever making anything from scratch. Then I married a man who was the opposite. His mom made every meal from scratch so boxed food is foreign to him. So over the years, thanks to his good cooking, I haven’t eaten boxed food hardly at all, unless I have a weird craving but I usually end up regretting it. Anyway, seeing these on Pinterest has been fun for me. I can share what I grew up eating without the guilt. Can’t wait to try this!!

Tiffany May 24, 2013 - 6:01 pm

Been making this for a couple of years now as my husband loves his hamburger helper. I almost always add a can of tomatoes and a drained can of green beans or corn. The whole family loves it.

JoAnna May 23, 2013 - 6:20 pm

I have made this recipe three times, tweaking it differently each time.

Try #1 – left out cornstarch (fiancé didn’t want me to use it) and cayenne (didn’t have it). My fiancé and our roommate ate it just fine, but didn’t like a lot of spice to it.

Try #2 – left out cornstarch (again) and cayenne (again) and this time took it down to 2 tsp chili powder. Was still a little too spicy for them.

Try #3 – followed the recipe almost to a T (including the cornstarch and cayenne since I FINALLY found some!) but only did 1 tsp of chili powder. My fiancé didn’t find it to be enough!

Guess I have an excuse to make this a 4th time and do 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, eh? 😉

All in all, a wonderful recipe. Thank you! <3

Karma Chameleon May 22, 2013 - 5:02 pm

My family loved it! I really dislike boxed Hamburger Helper but my family loves it.It always just tastes like salt and noodles to me, no matter what variety you get. This recipe is a great compromise for our family. I added a can of diced tomatoes and some onion, but nixed the cayenne and it was great. Everytime I try a new reipe I ask my husband if I should dump the recipe or keep it, this one was a keeper!

FarmgirlGourmet May 24, 2013 - 2:45 pm

that’s the whole reason I never made it for my husband. Salt and noodles. ICK! Tomatoes sound like a great addition. Thanks for commenting and sharing. ~heather

Andrea May 22, 2013 - 8:45 am

I have made this a couple of times now & my whole family loved it, especially my picky 4 year old. I just leave out the Cayenne since they are sensitive to spice. I put the hot sauce on the table to add on after. Thanks!

flutter May 20, 2013 - 7:13 pm

I had a party and served tacos. I overestimated how much food I needed and had a lot of left over taco meat in my freezer. I was looking for someway to use it up other than chili and more tacos. This worked perfectly. I did not have to add a lot of seasonings because the taco meat was already well seasoned. Thanks for the recipe.

Nicole G May 13, 2013 - 9:08 am

I made this the other day and it was delicious!!!! I did add more paprika and i used smoked paprika instead, we really like the flavor of the smoked kind. Thank you so much for the recipe.

FarmgirlGourmet May 16, 2013 - 10:10 am

Mmmm smoked paprika is delish! Glad you enjoyed it! My family requests it often – next time I’ll be using smoked pap! 🙂 xo ~heather

Angel May 10, 2013 - 3:02 pm

SO GOOD!! My kids are super picky and they loved this! (So did me and my husband). Nice job!

FarmgirlGourmet May 16, 2013 - 10:10 am

I love hearing this Angel! Thank you so much for commenting. You made my day!! xo ~heather

Jamie May 5, 2013 - 7:20 pm

It was delish! Definitely a keeper!

Jamie May 5, 2013 - 1:48 pm

It’s on the stove now… Doubled it for my big family. I’ll let you know how it goes!

asteinour May 2, 2013 - 1:08 pm

I have been making this for a few years now. Not sure where I found the recipe, but my boys won’t even hear of eating the boxed kind anymore. This is really good!

Priscilla April 30, 2013 - 7:22 pm

Just made this for dinner and let me tell you my family loved it!! My husband and kids are very picky eaters and they couldn’t stop eating thanks for the recipe

FarmgirlGourmet May 1, 2013 - 8:45 am

that is awesome Priscilla. Thanks for letting me know you and your family enjoyed it. Hearing comments like this makes my day!! 🙂 xo Heather

Kristen April 30, 2013 - 2:59 pm

Just made this tonight. I was a little concerned during cooking as the aroma just didn’t seem right, but once the cheese was added it all came together! I realized after it was done that the smell I was missing was probably the nasty chemical smell from the box stuff. So, it was a good thing it smelled different! 🙂

FarmgirlGourmet April 30, 2013 - 3:28 pm

Chemical smell should definitely not be in your skillet, only on the floor. 🙂 Glad you liked it. My husband had dinner duty last night and this was his pick. 🙂 ~Heather

Art April 29, 2013 - 1:53 pm

It was great, thank you. Added a bit of adobo and mozzarella and yummy in my tummy. Thanks!

FarmgirlGourmet April 30, 2013 - 2:11 pm

yum, that sounds like a fine addition! Thanks for commenting. ~Heather 🙂

Ashley April 25, 2013 - 10:57 am

This was fantastic! Great recipe! This will def. not be the last time My husband and I use it 🙂

Sarah April 24, 2013 - 7:37 pm

I enjoyed this recipes. The first time I made it I followed the recipe and it came out a bit to starchy and the noddles were a tad mushy for my liking. I made it again tonight but cooked the noddles separately and just added then in the meat mixture. It was awesome. I just reduced the liquid to 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water, a much better alternative to HH

April April 22, 2013 - 4:55 pm

I made this for dinner this evening. It was quick, easy and the family really liked it. Thanks for sharing.

FarmgirlGourmet April 22, 2013 - 4:58 pm

Thank you for the comment April. So glad it was a hit. 🙂

Suzie April 21, 2013 - 11:34 pm

This recipe was a waste of time, effort and money I hate to say. It looked and sounded very good, but I ended up having to throw it away and make something else. Other recipes I’ve tried were good, but this one wasn’t one of them. I know this one won’t stay on here for very long because I think you only keep the ones if people say they liked it. I was very embarrassed!

FarmgirlGourmet April 22, 2013 - 10:14 am

Suzie – I appreciate your comment and don’t exclusively approve positive comments. Everyone has the right to their opinion and I’m sorry this recipe wasn’t for you. With that said, recipe developing is not as easy as it may seem and it’s impossible to appeal to everyone’s tastes when creating what you believe is a good recipe. Thanks for giving it a shot. ~Heather

Kim May 23, 2013 - 2:48 pm

Heather – I wholeheartedly disagree with the above comment. Your recipe is absolutely perfect! The boxed version has always been a favorite of my husbands until I tried your recipe. He loved it! Thanks for sharing with us. Kim

FarmgirlGourmet May 24, 2013 - 2:44 pm

Thanks Kim. I appreciate the comment. Not every recipe is for everyone, but glad this one is for you. 🙂

Dana April 21, 2013 - 6:12 pm

I left out the chili powder, used reduced fat cheddar, and subbed Jennie-O Turkey Kielbasa sausage (hamburger was still frozen). It was AWESOME!

FarmgirlGourmet April 21, 2013 - 11:21 pm

YAY…so glad you liked it. And your subs sound delish!

Homemade Hamburger Helper! | Life Happens When April 12, 2013 - 5:29 am

[…] pulled this recipe from a variety of different recipes including Iowa Girl Eats and Farm Girl Gourmet. It didn’t take any longer than making the kind out of the box and I was so happy knowing he […]

Lynne Travis March 25, 2013 - 6:55 am

I really liked the recipe and everyone loved the flavour. I added a lot of vegetables to mine; shredded carrots, celery, onion, mushroom and red peppers (A mother thing to do).

Sio March 24, 2013 - 5:52 pm

This was delicious. I used velveeta instead as well. I felt as if it was missing something for my taste so I added a bit of tomatoe sauce and it was perfect!

londab March 11, 2013 - 4:11 pm

This was the perfect quick and easy comfort food for a Monday night. I followed the recipe exactly and we loved it. I cut the recipe in half an it was perfect for two with enough left for lunch tomorrow. Sometimes you just need some hamburger helper but the ingred. list freaks me out. Thanks for a better option.

FarmgirlGourmet March 11, 2013 - 5:38 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I agree about sometimes you just need the boxed stuff – but just like you, I cringe when I read what’s in it. Nice to know you’re putting good in when you skip the box. Thanks for commenting…I love hearing that my recipes were a success. 🙂 ~H

Dani March 7, 2013 - 2:06 pm

Only issue I had with this, I didn’t make enough! It flew off the plates. Next time I’ll double the recipe, so delicious and quick.

Karen March 5, 2013 - 3:32 pm

A little salty but pretty good. My husband was thrilled!

kristy March 4, 2013 - 8:27 pm

this was the easiest recipe, came home from a late shift at work and needed something quick and easy for my kids and I. Threw it together in less than 20 min and it was delicious. I dont like hamburger helper, never have. My kids were shocked to see it cuz they love it. then I told them it wasnt actually HH. They were shocked. I substitued ground turkey, added onion and nutmeg and used flour for thickner cuz i didnt have corn startch. I also substituted velveeta cuz we were out of chedder and didnt wanna run to the store. Super easy and very tasty. Thank you for sharing this.

Tamara March 1, 2013 - 9:46 am

Just what I was looking for!! This is great!! I didn’t have garlic powder so I used fresh garlic and added a bit of Philly as well!!! Yum yum!! Thanks so much!

kinneretb February 28, 2013 - 3:16 pm

This was really spicy, despite me cutting the chili powder in half. My kids wouldn’t touch it. 🙁

Becky May 2, 2013 - 11:07 am

I used taco mix instead of the spices as I didn’t have most of those spices. The mix made it not spicy and it still tasted fantastic 🙂 I didn’t use all the taco mix though definitely depends on your preference 🙂

FarmgirlGourmet May 3, 2013 - 9:25 am

I love that!! In a pinch, taco seasoning is a great substitute for sure. Thanks for sharing your success!! ~Heather

JoAnna May 23, 2013 - 6:26 pm

If I may make a suggestion, I made this tonight. Cut the chili powder down to about 1 tsp. I barely noticed the spice in it (of course my fiancé said it wasn’t enough LOL). Good luck!

Megan February 24, 2013 - 4:25 pm

This was so delicious!! The perfect healthy substitute for the packaged product! Everyone loved it, thank you for this creation!

TWG February 23, 2013 - 10:38 am

I started doing this many years ago. I would even add in vegetables to make it a one pot meal. You can also change it up by adding tomato paste or sauce.

Shannon May 18, 2013 - 4:23 pm

Made it tonight, it was fabulous! Loved that I controlled the amount salt :0)

Beef Stroganoff - Hamburger Helper Style - Farmgirl Gourmet February 22, 2013 - 2:46 pm

[…] recipe is so easy to make.  I based if off my recipe for original Hamburger Helper with a few tweaks.  One bite from the Hubs and he was in HH heaven…..again.  That man […]

Anne Koch February 14, 2013 - 4:09 pm

I made it for my family of 5 and they loved it. I snuck in extra veggies and they hardly noticed. I used egg noodles instead of elbow macaroni and then added sliced onions and shredded cabbage. You could hardly tell the veggies apart from the noodles. Very tasty and they ate it right up. Nice job! They asked me to make it again.

FarmgirlGourmet February 15, 2013 - 3:30 pm

I love that you snuck in some good for you ingredients. I need to give the cabbage trick a try. 🙂 Glad you enjoyed the recie. xo ~Heather

Erin February 13, 2013 - 5:52 pm

Hey Heather, made this on a whim tonight and so easy!! You really got the spices right. Tastes just like the box without the MSG headache and and other (unmentionable) side effects that come from eating out of a box. Make it with organic beef, organic pasta, and throw in some frozen veggies. Tons of fun, almost no effort, one dish!

FarmgirlGourmet February 13, 2013 - 7:18 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Erin! My family has been begging for me to make it again…I like the veggie idea! Giving that a shot next time.

Sierra February 12, 2013 - 5:00 pm

This recipe was great! I loved it!

What’s for Dinner « Gourmet or Go Home February 9, 2013 - 6:53 am

[…] Thursday night I tried a recipe for Homemade Hamburger Helper. […]

30 Under 30: Marnely Rodriguez-Murray, Gourmand, Food Writer, and Baker … « Street Food Locator February 7, 2013 - 7:29 pm

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper on Farmgirl Gourmet: love the comforting feel of this recipe, perfect for a cold Vineyard winter!  […]

30 Under 30: Marnely Rodriguez-Murray, Gourmand, Food Writer, and Baker … | Gourmet Cooking Tips February 7, 2013 - 4:14 pm

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper on Farmgirl Gourmet: adore a comforting feel of this recipe, ideal for a cold Vineyard winter!  […]

30 Under 30: Marnely Rodriguez-Murray, Gourmand, Food Writer, and Baker … | CooksChronicles.com February 7, 2013 - 10:02 am

Erica February 6, 2013 - 7:18 pm

Oh, I am SO glad I found your blog!! Was looking for granola bar recipes, and stumbled on the ‘Hamburger Helper’ recipe…I am on a journey to feed my family as little processed food as possible, and boxed hamburger helper is one thing that they absolutely LOVE, much to my dismay 🙂 I will be trying this recipe soon! I am hopeful they will like it, but they still prefer boxed mac-n-cheese to my DELICIOUS homemade version, so we’ll see 🙂

Vicki February 5, 2013 - 8:47 am

Always prefer scratch to those box dinners. This is a family favorite that I don’t feel guilty about serving. Plus there is more pasta in this one! Love our recipes!!! Keep ’emb coming!

Faux- Hamburger Helper | Food Ramblings January 30, 2013 - 2:01 am

[…] when I saw this recipe from Farmgirl Gourmet, I pinned it to make immediately.  And lucky me, I had all the ingredients in my house (or close […]

Allison January 28, 2013 - 5:19 pm

Wow!!!!! A.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y LOVED it!! My husband loved it as much as I did, if not more. Thank you so much for providing a recipe to make it from scratch!! Now to know how to make the other specific kinds like the chili-mac, crunchy taco- mac … lol. 😉 Thanks again!!

FarmgirlGourmet January 28, 2013 - 8:14 pm

Awesome Allison!! I read this comment to my husband and he’s on board with me posting recipes for chili-mac and crunchy taco-mac too. haha Guess I better get on that. 🙂 Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it. Made my day! xo Heather

Jon January 23, 2013 - 6:59 pm

I absolutely loved this recipe. I myself, would possibly cut back on the cayenne and add a little more salt and at least a teaspoon of pepper. But other then that…… amazing. So much better then the boxed recipe.

FarmgirlGourmet January 24, 2013 - 9:40 am

So glad you enjoyed it!! Spice & salt are always a personal preference for sure. Thanks for making it and letting me know what you thought. Made my day!! 🙂 ~Heather

Lazy vegetarian mom January 23, 2013 - 6:42 pm

Wonderful! I used whole wheat pasta and flour (instead of macaroni and cornstarch). I made it vegetarian by using Boca grounds. It was very good even before adding the cheese so this could easily be made vegan … But then I added colby and pepperjack. Mmm. Thank you!

FarmgirlGourmet January 24, 2013 - 9:41 am

How awesome. I will definitely give it a try with Boca grounds. Thanks for the inspiration!! ~Heather

Melissa January 22, 2013 - 8:15 pm

If you look up the Chickens in the Road blog, she has several homemade “helper” recipes. They are really good if you want to try the different types.

Sylvia January 22, 2013 - 12:44 pm

So next will you figure out rice-a-roni?

FarmgirlGourmet January 22, 2013 - 1:00 pm

Ha! Great idea Sylvia. I will look in to that.

Melissa January 22, 2013 - 8:16 pm

There is a recipe for that too on Chickens in the Road

Pam January 18, 2013 - 10:58 am

I actually love hamburger helper but I knew there was a homemade way so thank you!!! I will actually be preparing with some ground venison

FarmgirlGourmet January 21, 2013 - 1:52 pm

Yum Pam!! I love venison. I bet that would be a great sub for hamburger. Enjoy the recipe!!

Taste and Tell Thursdays - Lemon Herb Roasted Potatoes {giveaway} | January 17, 2013 - 3:02 am

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper from Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Deborah January 16, 2013 - 8:03 pm

This is such a great idea!! I think that I had the boxed stuff a few times back in college, but I know this would be a hundred times better!!

FarmgirlGourmet January 17, 2013 - 11:42 am

I’m with you…I may have eaten it a time or 2 as a kid, but I don’t recall. All I know is that this is far too easy, and tasty, to even consider buying a box. Thanks for featuring it today on your blog!! xo

BumbleWee Nursing Wear January 16, 2013 - 4:03 pm

Very fantastic, we all loved it – parents and kids – 5yr, 3yr, 1yr. I swapped chicken broth for the water for added health benefits.

FarmgirlGourmet January 17, 2013 - 11:41 am

Thanks for commenting…glad you all enjoyed it. Such an easy recipe to make.

JoAnna January 16, 2013 - 3:47 pm

I made this for dinner except I left out the cornstarch and the cayenne pepper (boyfriend asked me to skip the cornstarch and we did not have cayenne pepper). Between us and our roommate, there were no leftovers =) Will definitely be making this again!

FarmgirlGourmet January 17, 2013 - 11:40 am

Glad it was a hit!! 🙂

Esther January 15, 2013 - 7:00 pm

Of course, I will definitely link back! When you try the smoked paprika, please let me know what you think!

FarmgirlGourmet January 15, 2013 - 9:11 pm

Awesome. Let me know when you’re live and I will pop over!! 🙂 Thanks for linking up!

Esther January 15, 2013 - 6:08 pm

Just wanted to say, I made this tonight, and oh em gee was it awesome. I subbed radiatore pasta for elbows, and might I also suggest trying it with smoked paprika instead of regular? It really changes the flavor into something awesome! I hope you don’t mind me featuring this on my blog?

FarmgirlGourmet January 15, 2013 - 6:28 pm

Hi Esther. So glad you enjoyed it. A feature is great, please provide a link back to this post. I need to make this again, the fam has been bugging me for a repeat so I will definitely toss in some smoked paprika. Thanks for the tip and glad you enjoyed it!! xo ~Heather

January #PROJECTRECIPE Update | Delicious Potager January 15, 2013 - 8:19 am

[…] orange cheese powder! Not the healthiest thing to eat. I was stoked when I ran across a recipe for Homemade Hamburger Helper on the Farmgirl Gourmet. It was just as easy as the original boxed version, and it tasted even […]

Kate Nicholls Dobson January 14, 2013 - 5:02 pm

this was yummy and easy! I prepared exactly as you described. thanks.

FarmgirlGourmet January 14, 2013 - 5:54 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Kate!! Thanks for popping in and letting me know. Comments like this make my day! xo ~Heather

Ulla January 14, 2013 - 4:46 pm

This is a great, easy recipe. My boyfriend wanted hamburger, noodles and gravy. I found this recipe and it was an instant hit. I couldn’t find cayenne pepper so I left it out. There’s still enough spiciness.

FarmgirlGourmet January 14, 2013 - 5:56 pm

So glad you like it Ulla. It’s perfect comfort food. You can make extra spice mix and measure out the dry noodles into zip top bags and add the spices then store it in the pantry for an easy toss together weeknight meal. Thanks for commenting!!

Homemade Hamburger Helper January 11, 2013 - 2:10 am

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper ever so slightly adapted from Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Terra Baltosiewich (@CafeTerraBlog) January 7, 2013 - 9:08 pm

I have had the salty boxes of hamburger helper, but not for a VERY long time. I dearly love the idea of making our own, so much better, and I bet tasted fantastic! Hugs, Terra

FarmgirlGourmet January 10, 2013 - 1:04 pm

Hugs back Terra!! Happy New Year to you as well. xo!!

the wicked noodle (@thewickednoodle) January 7, 2013 - 10:58 am

I love this, Heather!! I know I’ve eaten HH but can’t for the life of me remember where and when – maybe college when I was poor? Anyway – this looks so incredibly easy and I’m already thinking of variations depending on my mood (like a mexican version with a margarita, perhaps?). LOVE!!

Naomi Hatfield January 6, 2013 - 4:57 pm

I am so NOT a make it from scratch kind of mom,BUT, this was super easy. You’re right. I had to make a couple of substitutions due to what was available in the pantry, but it was GREAT! We didn’t have cheddar on hand so I used colby jack and some velveeta. Because the velveeta is soooo creamy I used a little less milk and water.
Thank you for the easy to follow directions!

FarmgirlGourmet January 7, 2013 - 9:28 am

So glad you enjoyed it Naomi. You made my day with this comment!!! I bet velveeta did add some serious creaminess to it. Thanks again for commenting. I love hearing that a recipe was well received.

Morgan January 3, 2013 - 9:07 pm

How do I make it without the cheese? I’m a big cheese fan; however, my hubby hates it, so we always eat the “beef pasta” kind.. wasn’t sure if I could just leave the cheese out or if I needed to tweak it.

FarmgirlGourmet January 7, 2013 - 9:27 am

Hi Morgan, sorry for the delay in responding. You could omit the cheese or cut it down to 1/2 cup (where he might not notice?).

Pattie Walker January 19, 2013 - 11:16 am

Could you divide the dish at the end and then add cheese to your part? I have done this in the past with some of the meals I have made, depending on the issue. very easy to do.

FarmgirlGourmet January 21, 2013 - 1:50 pm

Pattie – You could totally do that. Thanks for the advice!

McKenzie December 31, 2012 - 8:36 am

Thanks for the recipe. We love hamburger helper but have started to stop eating processed foods for about 8 months or so now. It doesn’t help being pregnant and wanting it. haha So I am excited to make this tonight! Thanks! 🙂

Meatless Monday: Black Bean-Roasted Zucchini-Goat Cheese Enchiladas + Weekly Menu December 31, 2012 - 3:04 am

[…] Thursday: Homemade Hamburger Helper […]

Lara December 29, 2012 - 5:52 am

This looks awesome! I hate HH. Hubby loves it, so I breakdown & make it occasionally. I’m going to try this & not tell him, see what he thinks. I was also thinking of doing this pre-made for my daughter & even me. I think if you are going to measure out the spices, instead of doing one batch, measure out 4-5 batches into small containers, then measure out the macaroni into ziplocks, add your spice packet to each macaroni bag, toss into the cupboard. Measuring the spices/macaroni the day of isn’t a big deal, but if you do it ahead & you know that there is a pack in the cupboard all you have to pick up is beef & cheese. You don’t have to stand in the store & wonder is there 2 cups of macaroni left in the box, did I use all the chili powder last week . . . etc. At least this is the kind of conversations I have with myself in the grocery store. I think my daughter will appreciate it too, I’m not sure her single girl that barely cooks kitchen has all the spices, or if she’d even take the minimal time needed, but if I do it, I know she’ll make it.

FarmgirlGourmet December 29, 2012 - 2:06 pm

That’s a great idea Lara. Having it all prepackaged ahead would make for a stress-free weeknight meal for sure. I hope you’re hubs enjoys it as much as mine did. He’s already asking for it again. 🙂

Best Recipes of 2012 - Farmgirl Gourmet December 28, 2012 - 3:18 pm

[…] Homemade Hamburger Helper – Yes really.  I swore I’d never ever ever ever ever make it.  Well from a box that is.  To my husband’s utter delight, I made it from scratch and he was the happiest he’s been in a while.  Make your box-loving family happy with this easy scratch recipe! […]

jamielifesafeast December 26, 2012 - 11:43 pm

I grew up on Hamburger (and Tuna) Helper – and lucky thing because it was something my mom couldn’t make taste bad. I have never made it for my family because I don’t like the boxed stuff either but your homemade looks out of this world good and something my family would gobble down! Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie December 21, 2012 - 2:06 pm

I haven’t had Hamburger Helper in a very long time. I used to love that stuff!

ohsweetbasil December 19, 2012 - 9:42 pm

Alright, let’s get personal. Well, not THAT personal. But, yes I do detest Hamburger Helper. Yes, my sister loves it. They eat it at least once a week. I just threw up a little. BUT!!! Your’s actually looks so cheesy and delicious, that I’m pinning this for both her and I to try.

FarmgirlGourmet December 19, 2012 - 9:56 pm

I’m with you, but it was great and the kids snarfed it right up. The hubs…he was in comfort food nirvana for hours. lol I hope your sis likes it sans cardboard. 🙂

Hannah R. December 19, 2012 - 1:59 pm

OH MY GOSH!!! that looks amazing. My hubby is a Triple H Fan and he will be super excited when I make this tonight. Thank you SO MUCH for the tutorial! Yummers!

Cassie December 19, 2012 - 12:25 pm

I nearly grew up on hamburger helper and chicken helper but have never bought a box. I would much prefer from-scratch and this looks amazing! (PS – the recipe is missing…only a ZipList box is showing right now.)

Helen December 19, 2012 - 12:20 pm

Also wondering what the spice measurements are….

FarmgirlGourmet December 19, 2012 - 7:54 pm

Sorry my recipe plugin went wonky. I am updating the post now with the measurements. Sorry for the delay – we were out and about all day. 🙂

fabiola@notjustbaked December 19, 2012 - 10:10 am

I just love this! We are meant to be roomies! I am the same when it comes to box stuff and will make it from scratch anytime someone is craving the box. I am so making this when I get back from visiting my mama!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction December 19, 2012 - 9:46 am

This is way better than a box mix!

Keri December 19, 2012 - 9:43 am

definately making this! Can you tell me what the spice measurements are? Thanks!

FarmgirlGourmet December 19, 2012 - 7:55 pm

Hi Keri, updating the post now with measurements. Sorry, my recipe plugin decided to take a vacation day today. Oops. Working on it now. 🙂

inkatrinaskitchen December 19, 2012 - 8:38 am

Comfort food here I come!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 19, 2012 - 8:24 am

yum! love the spice profile!

Cathy @ Noble Pig December 19, 2012 - 8:23 am

I’ve never tried the boxed stuff. But this looks like something my fam would eat!

diabeticfoodie December 19, 2012 - 6:37 am

My nephews would DEVOUR this. Hope you got in at least one hint about new countertops 🙂

Rachel (@rachelcooksblog) December 19, 2012 - 6:13 am

omg I love this!

Marnely Rodriguez-Murray December 19, 2012 - 5:40 am

Bahahahahha! Ground beef for the win! This looks ridiculous and now I want it for breakfast!

Nicole December 19, 2012 - 12:10 am

Isn’t it amazing how easy this stuff is? Why do people pay for the box and all that packaging? Basic macaroni and cheese is the same way.

Comments are closed.