There’s nothing better than the perfectly Creamy Mashed Potatoes as a side dish to your meal. This recipe calls for a potato ricer which is the key to getting them super creamy.
I am so beside myself right now. Not because of this bowl of creamy dreamy deliciousness, but because it’s only 3 days until my house will be filled with family and close friends, a 20 lb bird in the oven and my living room will be morphed into a cozy dining space filled with candles, painted gourds and dish after dish of great food. I still feel like it’s Summertime and can’t even believe that we are about ready to give thanks. I hope I’m not alone on this . Say you’re with me!
Ingredients in Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes – russet potatoes are best in this recipe as they will rice beautifully and make a delicious mashed potato.
- Milk – whole milk will result in a richer mashed potato, but you can use whatever type of milk you’d like. If using nut or seed mylks for mashed potatoes, make sure it’s unflavored.
- Butter – unsalted butter is used and Kosher salt is added to taste.
- Sour Cream – is part of the reason this recipe is rich and creamy. Make sure to use a full fat sour cream for the best taste.
- Kosher Salt – What’s the difference between Kosher salt and table salt? Table salt has a very fine texture and dissolves quickly. It is usually fortified with sodium iodide, which kosher salt is not. The anti-caking additives in table salt can leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth, especially if used in a sweet recipe or baked good. Kosher salt has a coarser-grain and is additive free. Kosher salt does not contain iodine (sodium iodide) or anti-caking agents like smaller-grained table salt.
If you’re still on the hunt for a delish mashed potato recipe, this is one for the keeper file. The only special tool needed is a potato ricer but you can certainly whip them with a hand mixer or even an old fashioned potato masher. Using a ricer will make the potatoes silky smooth with not a lump in sight. Lumps or no lumps, mashed potatoes are a GREAT thing.
Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into large rounds
- Kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and salt, to taste. Boil until fork tender. Drain well in a colander.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the milk and butter and warm over medium-low heat. While the butter and milk are warming, rice the potatoes into the milk mixture. When all potatoes are riced, add the sour cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon and serve immediately.