Two weekends ago I was out in the woods with my little travel trailer and 20 of my best girlfriends with their little tin can cuties. Whenever I go glampin’ I always want to make fun things in the dutch oven or over the fire. The best laid plans don’t always come to fruition, but it was the thought that counted. Anyway, one of the things I was going to make was Monkey Bread. If you’ve never had Monkey Bread it’s little bite sized pieces of biscuit dough that have been rolled in sugar and cinnamon and then stacked into a bundt pan and baked with butter and brown sugar. Think cinnamon roll meets pull apart bread. Only better. The weekend cooking plans got away from me but I still had the ingredients to make this fun breakfast treat. So after a long EARLY walk the other day with my neighbor I figured I’d surprise the family with some hot muffins to start the day.
Line a large muffin tin with papers or conversely you could spray them with cooking spray. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and get out 2 small cans of refrigerated biscuits.
Cut each biscuit in half and roll in a ball.
Roll the balls in the sugar mixture and then place them in the prepared muffin tin.
In a small saucepan melt 1 stick of butter. Yes it’s true, these are not diet food. 🙂
I added about 7 balls to each muffin cup.
Top each with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. See…definitely not diet food. But oh my….tasty!
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of butter over each and then separate the remaining butter between the 6 muffins.
Ready to hit the oven! 350 for about 20-24 minutes. Big muffins take time. If you chose to make smaller muffins, adjust the time accordingly.
Zest 1 orange and chop up coarsely. Add the zest and 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and whisk to combine.
Shhh…I may have had a few spoonfuls of this.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooked muffins. Resist eating them straight from the oven. Ouch!
Monkey Bubble Muffins with Fresh Orange Glaze
A quick take on the classic Monkey Bread only in muffin form. Drizzle with a fresh orange glaze and you have breakfast in no time.
- 2 small cans of biscuits, cut in half and rolled in balls
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 stick of butter
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 orange, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a large muffin tin with papers and set aside.
- Cut the biscuits in half and roll into balls. In a small bowl mix the white sugar and cinnamon together. Toss the biscuit balls in the sugar mixture and layer in the prepared muffin tin. Top each with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and spoon a tablespoon of butter over each muffin.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes. Remove and cool slightly.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together with a whisk and pour over each muffin.
- Tear into them and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of www.farmgirlgourmet.com. Reprinting without permission is unethical.