My daughter was standing watch as I prepared dinner tonight. She had this amazing revelation that it would be great to make cornish hens for Thanksgiving instead of turkey. What could be better than having your very own stuffed birdy!? Unfortunately her moment of “aha” was a week too late. So, maybe next year we’ll give it a shot!
This recipe is tried and true….and so unbelievably delicious!! You can thank me later!! :o)
Kicked Up Cornish Game Hens!!
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 tsp honey (divided)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cornish game hens, rinsed and dried
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Toast almonds in a frying pan, or in the oven until golden, chop and set aside.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil, add couscous, apricots and salt. Stir and remove from heat for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add butter, 1 tsp honey, cinnamon, toasted almonds and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff hens with couscous and place in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle hens with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes. Drizzle remaining honey over hens and baste with pan juices. Roast for an additional 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.
Recipe courtesy of www.farmgirlgourmet.com. Reprinting without permission is unethical.