Did you see last Wednesday’s Top Chef Seattle’s “Quickfire Challenge”? Iceberg lettuce? Really? I have to admit that I threw my hands in the air in a “what the heck” way when Padma said that was the challenge ingredient. I buy iceberg maybe once or twice a year and the only thing I use it for is making Chinese Lettuce Wraps. So I wasn’t shocked when most of the cheftestants chose to use it for for the same thing….a shell for something else…with flavor.
So as not to copy the cheftestants and their lettuce wrapped deliciousness, I decided to kick up iceberg another way…but putting bacon on it and of course the other ingredients that go into the BLT. I must be on a serious bacon kick lately. Last week was California Roll sushi with bacon and now this! Maybe I’m channeling my inner Joshua and need to run out and buy a Bacon t-shirt pronto!
These BLT bites are super quick to make and are more filling than you’d expect them to be with their compact size. We enjoyed them during Super Bowl, but they would be perfect for a baby shower or your next church gathering. The best part is that it only takes a short time to prepare them.
I used good ole white bread but you could healthy-fy them by using whole grain. With the bacon and mayo, no one would ever know the difference.
Except my daughter, of course. She’s super anti-anything-healthy. It’s almost like she has some sort of super power where she’s able to sniff out whole wheat. Believe me, I’ve tried on many occasions to pull one over on her. Chalk her up as the winner, every time.
So what did you think of this past weeks Top Chef? Did you think Stefan should’ve went home? Were you stoked that Kristen beat him in Last Chance Kitchen? Who will you save in this weeks save a chef?
Now for a little fun. How would you like to win a YEAR of Food & Wine Magazine? Yep, a whole year. Enter the giveaway below for your chance.
Content and/or other value provided by our partner, Bravo.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 2 inch squares
- 4 slices bread, crust removed & cut into 2 inch squares
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 2 inch square pieces
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray a small rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place bread squares on the baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove and cool.
- Crisp bacon in a frying pan over medium-high heat, remove to a paper towel lined plate and cool.
- Spread a small amount of mayonnaise on each bread slice. Top with 3 or 4 pieces of lettuce, then a slice of bacon. Skewer the tomato half with a long toothpick and stick into the bacon, lettuce and bread. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.