A quick vanilla baked donut piled high with jewel-toned cereal. Don’t miss the giveaway at the bottom!!
Do you remember your mom saying to you “make sure you eat all of your cereal”? Well, now you have a great reason to! Enter Vanilla Baked Fruidoo Donuts. You may be asking, “what the heck is fruidoo”? If you’ve ever been to Portland Oregon, one of the not-to-be-missed breakfast spots is VooDoo Doughnuts. They are famous for their off the wall donut concoctions. My kids begged to go while we were on a vacation and it didn’t disappoint. The case swirls around with every possible combo you can dream up. They even have a voodoo doll doughnut. Kinda creepy to look at, but also quite tasty with it’s jelly filling and chocolate glaze. No voodoo doll is complete without some sort of sharp object sticking it so the donut has a pretzel impalement. Yum.
I knew I had to make a crazy donut for Doughnut week and what’s better than a vanilla cake donut topped with sugary icing and piled high with fruit loops? I’m channeling my inner voodoo!!! I was a little worried that the kids and husband would think I was sipping on the Kahlua from my first donut post, but to my surprise, they enjoyed this one even more than the Kahlua donut! Go figure!
Again I used my trusty donut baking pan. I love how easy it is!! The icing is quick to make and assembly? Just grab a handful of cereal and pour it on until there’s no icing left to grab them. Easy! Healthy? This is doughnut week – there’s nothing healthy about it. Just eat one and go make besties with the elliptical.
Make sure you check out what the rest of the doughnut crew made. Seriously….I die.
- Carrie – Bakeaholic Mama – Coconut Doughnut Holes Filled with Lime Curd
- Brandy – Nutmeg Nanny – Chocolate Orange Baked Doughnuts
- Rachel – Baked By Rachel – Maple Bacon Donuts
- Julie – Table for Two – Sugared Donut
- Gina – Running to the Kitchen – Baked Chocolate Avocado Donuts
- Kita – Pass the Sushi – Bourbon Bacon Doughnuts
- Emily – Jelly Toast Blog – Lemon Berry Doughnut Trifles
- Megan – Country Cleaver – Classic Bismark with Vanilla Creme
Vanilla Baked Fruidoo Donuts
Yield 12 doughnuts
A quick vanilla baked donut with vanilla icing encrusted with fruit ring cereal.
For the Donuts:
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- cooking spray
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (or regular)
- 2 cups Fruit Ring Cereal
For the Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Spray a donut-shaped baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl until combined. Add the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and butter and stir until just combined.
- Fill each cavity of the baking pan 2/3 full and bake 7-9 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
For the Icing:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. You want a semi-thick consistency, so add more sugar to thicken or milk to thin. It should coat the donut thickly. Submerge the top of the donut into the icing and then sprinkle with the fruit ring cereal. Set aside so the icing will set up. Or eat them right away. Either way, they are delish.