First – Happy New Year!! Are you ready for a fun filled 2012? I sure am! To start things off right, for the month of January the Virtual Potluck crew is working with California Olive Ranch and Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods to bring you some fun and healthy recipes to start your new year right. But wait, there’s more! (I’ve always wanted to say that) Not only will you get 12 great recipes a week from each of the Virtual Potluckers, but you’ll also have a chance to win the flour and olive oil combination used by one of us? How cool is that? It’s OK, I already know your answer.
For the first week, I used Organic Hard White Whole Wheat flour and the Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil to make the luscious Baked Orange Hard Wheat & Olive Oil Donuts pictured above. They were so moist and delicate. Not what you’d expect from using “hard wheat”, but it’s true. The olive oil made them light and airy and added a bit of fruity tang. If you don’t already own one, then I highly recommend hitting your local craft or cake decorating store and pick up a Donut Pan (or 2). They are inexpensive, around $9, and make great baked donuts that you won’t feel too guilty eating. So what do you think? Want to find out how you can score some Bob’s Red Mill Flour and California Olive Ranch Olive Oil? It’s easy – and you won’t need to sign over your first born. Here’s how:
- To enter: You must visit California Olive Ranch Facebook page and retrieve this week’s Virtual Potluck Code Word. Then use that code word in a sentence in the comment section below.
For extra entries do any or all of the below and then come back here and leave a comment for each:
- Follow Bob’s Red Mill on Twitter
- Follow California Olive Ranch on Twitter
- Follow Virtual Potluck on Twitter
- Tweet about the contest: “I just entered to win @Bobs_Red_Mill & @CA_EVOO products from @FarmgirlGourmet & #virtualpotluck. Enter here: http://bit.ly/wXYeGm“ Comment again, letting me know you’ve done so, by providing the link to your tweet.
- More Blogs, More Ways to Win: Get additional entries in each week’s giveaways by visiting our host blog and finding other participating VP bloggers sites to comment on. You have 48 chances to win great products!
- CA Olive Ranch would also like to offer your readers a 10% discount by entering coupon code ‘BLOGFRIENDS’ upon checkout at our online store
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Hard White Wheat Flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 medium orange
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 4 tablespoons California Olive Ranch Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a donut baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl or batter bowl, add the flours, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and orange zest. Mix until fluffy with a whisk. Add the eggs, milk and olive oil and mix until just combined.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until they tops are no longer tacky. Use a large zip top bag and add the confectioners sugar. Add a few donuts and close the top, shake gently to coat with sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.