This is probably one of my favorite ways to make mashed potatoes and it’s so simple using a spice blend like Spiceology Rosemary Dijon to add depth of flavor. Let’s welcome Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Red Potatoes to the holiday side dish rotation.
Everyone’s gearing up for the upcoming holiday season and making that dinner menu list! Add this easy recipe for a rustic Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Red Potatoes to yours.
The humble side dish is never the star of the show. No one is making grand jestures serving you mashed potatoes at the Thanksgiving table they way they are with carving the perfect bird or adding just the right dollop of whipped cream to the perfectly creamy pumpkin pie, but we could change that with this recipe. They are garlicky with hints of rosemary and dijon that pair perfectly with the rustic red potatoes and of course, lots of butter.
Why You’ll Love These Easy Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Red Potatoes
- Easy to make ahead. Boil the potatoes and chill overnight
- Using a spice blend makes life simple because you don’t have to buy a bunch of ingredients
- Recipe is easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd. The recipe below has a simple multiplier for convenience.
- Base recipe is versatile so you could add any type of spices to change it up like Tandoori for an Indian flare, Chile Lime for a Southwestern themed dinner, or just add fresh chopped herbs of choice.
Ingredients & Instructions
The ingredients for this recipe are readily available. You’ll need:
- Red Potatoes: will hold up to being mashed with the skins on. Yukon Gold would also do just as well.
- Spices & Herbs: we used Spiceology Rosemary Dijon in this recipe. Substitute more fresh rosemary, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard and season with salt & pepper.
- Dairy: Heavy cream and butter make this mashed potato recipe super creamy and delicious.
- Garlic: garlic confit is extremely simple to make and really adds depth of flavor from the slow roasting of the cloves. Add fresh garlic to substitute.
Overview: How to Make Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil and add some salt. Wash and cube the red potatoes and boil until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your cubes. Drain well and add to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mash them to your desired consistency. Add a little extra cream if they potatoes are asking for it. Stir one last time and serve immediately.
Find the printable recipe with exact measurements and instructions below.Tips for Storing
More Things to Make with Potatoes
Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Red Potatoes
- 3 lbs red potatoes cleaned and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary Dijon Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic confit or fresh garlic, if preferred
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Salt and add the potatoes. Boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Add the potatoes, butter, cream, spices, garlic, and rosemary to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher making sure to incorporate all of the ingredients. Add more cream if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.