Before I was married and had kids, I lived in San Francisco, CA. There really is nothing like a big city when it comes to eating delicious food. The diversity of restaurants is mind-boggling and whatever you have a craving for is sure to be around the corner at any given moment.
One of my favorites is Mexican food and we would frequent a few taqueria’s in the city that had authentic Mexican food, not the Americanized stuff of the big chains. Without fail there were always large containers of agua fresca on the counter. Strawberry, watermelon and always horchata (a nut and/or rice beverage). Agua fresca is essentially a puree of fresh fruit mixed with water and a sweetener (if needed) and is refreshing and delicious. Think Kool-aid without the red dye #5. It’s a perfect summer sipper and can be mixed with club soda to make a sparkler or even a shot or two of tequila for a delicious margarita.
My son couldn’t drink enough of this agua fresca and has been begging for me to make more. It’s super easy to do and will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days (if it lasts that long).
A super fast recipe for a refreshing mango and orange agua fresca. Perfect for a warm summer day.
- 4 cups mango, peeled, pitted, rough chopped (about 3)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice (about 3)
- juice of half a lime
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- honey or other sweetener, if necessary (I used 1 teaspoon stevia)
- Add the mango, orange juice and lime to a blender and puree until smooth. Pass through a fine meshed sieve set over a bowl. Pour into a pitcher and add the water and sweetener, if desired.
- Pour into an ice filled glass and enjoy.