Pretzel Slider Buns

Pretzel Slider Rolls via farmgirlgourmet.com

I’m going to confess to you, right here, right now.  There are 2 things that totally freak me out in the kitchen.  1) Gravy;  2) Pretzels.  Crazy right?  Probably the 2 easiest things to make, yet thinking about making either of them freaks my frack.

I needed a slider roll for a recipe that’s coming up tomorrow and thought that making them pretzel-y would be exactly what would kick that recipe up.  Have you ever searched for pretzel slider rolls at the grocery store?  Non-existent in my little town, so I combed the interwebs and landed on a recipe to make.  Yes, I had to get over my fear of pretzel, well, not get over but rather just make it fast and hope I didn’t screw it up.  Well, after today I am a changed girl and am now ready to make pretzel everything!  Seriously, I am in love.  So easy and so delicious.  I can’t wait for summer grilling season and making this recipe for homemade sausage & burgers on the grill.  See how easy they are for yourself.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Fill the sink with about 2 inches of warm tap water and set the mixer bowl in the water.  Add 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1 packet of yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar.  Give it a quick stir and then cover with a clean kitchen towel.  Let the yeast bloom for 5 to 10 minutes, until foamy and starting to swell.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Place the bowl on the mixer and attach the dough hook.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Add 4 1/2 cups bread flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 4 tablespoons of melted salted butter.  Start on low and then increase the speed to medium.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

The dough should be slightly sticky, but pulling cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large bowl and add the dough, turning to coat.  Cover with a towel and place in a draft free warm place.  (I like to preheat my oven for a couple of minutes, then turn it off and flip on the light)

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

After an hour, the dough should have doubled in size.  Punch it down.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Take a ball about the size of a lime and stretch it gently, while tucking back under then pinch the bottom.  Roll the dough around in your palm to semi-flatten and make smooth.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough.  You should have 14 balls of dough.  Cover with the towel and let them rest for 30 more minutes in a warm place.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Preheat the oven now to 425 degrees F.  Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.  Add 1/4 cup baking soda slowly to the boiling water.  If you dump it all in, you will have an overflowing pot, so go slow.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Add 4 buns and let them boil for 30 seconds per side.  Remove to a parchment lined baking sheet and continue with the remaining buns.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Lightly beat 1 egg in a small bowl.  Brush the tops and sides of each bun and sprinkle with grey sea salt.  If your sea salt is in large granules (mine is) then use a mortar and pestle to make it finer.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com

Use a sharp knife and cut an X in the tops.  Bake for 13-17 minutes, or until the buns sound hallow when thumped.  Remove and cool completely before cutting.

Pretzel Slider Buns via farmgirlgourmet.com  Easy, right?  Seriously, they were so easy and so good.  I’m in love.

Pretzel Slider Buns

• 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons grey sea salt

1. Fill the sink with 3 inches warm tap water. Place the bowl of the mixer in the water and add 1 1/2 cups warm tap water, yeast and sugar. Stir to combine then cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to bloom for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Place the mixer bowl on the mixer with the dough hook attachment. Add the flour, salt and melted butter. Start the mixer on the lowest speed and increase to medium, until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
  3. Add the teaspoon of olive oil to a large bowl and add the dough, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm draft-free area for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and cut into 14 equal pieces. Stretch each piece tucking it back into the bottom of the ball. Pinch it closed and roll in your palm to flatten and smooth. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pieces. Allow to rest, covered, for 30 minutes in a warm draft-free place.
  4. Preheat oven to 425. Bring the 2 quarts of water to a boil. Slowly add the baking soda, then add 4 dough balls and allow to boil for 30 seconds per side. Remove to a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Brush all boiled dough with egg wash, slash an X in each top with a sharp knife and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake 13-17 minutes, or until the buns sound hallow when thumped on the bottom. Cool completely.

Notes

Recipe slightly adapted from My Life As A Mrs

Angie
    December 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Would all purpose flour be a no no?

Sara - foodieanonymous.com
    October 26, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I just stumbled across these on pinterest. I always get so excited when we’re out to eat and sliders/burgers are served on a pretzel bun. But at home, I always chicken out and buy pre-made buns for our meals. I am going to have to try these out next time, they look amazing!!

Ger
    September 5, 2014 at 9:06 am

Anyone ever try making the dough in a bread maker?

Jeri
      March 14, 2015 at 7:49 am

I made mine in the bread machine on the dough setting. Followed the recipe exactly. For my first try at pretzels, the turned out well. I’ll try them again.

Chris
    August 4, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I don’t have a mixer with a dough hook attachment. Can you tell me how I might alter the recipe to accommodate this? Thanks!

S2E14 (Team) – Sliders | The Unemployed Foodie
    March 12, 2014 at 11:55 am

[…] create this dish. The first thing I tackled was the pretzel bread slider buns. I used this recipe: Pretzel Slider Buns. The recipe was great and very clear with the step-by-step picture instructions. As a result, the […]

Sarah
    January 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Obsessed!!! I made this last weekend and have another round about to go into the water. I’ve always wanted to try pretzels and now I am no longer afraid. 🙂

Much love!

January 23, 2014 at 11:50 am

So glad you like them. They are my faves too!! I need to make them again very soon! Thanks for commenting.

Carol
    August 18, 2013 at 10:53 am

When making gravy always remember to use a cold liquid if your roux is hot. If I’m using freshly made stock, I make my roux ahead of time & give it a chance to cool. This will ensure a nice smooth gravy. As soon as roux & your liquid start boiling, STIR, STIR, STIR! Wire wisk is good for that. When preparing a roux also remember that a little goes a long way. Too much roux & you’ll end up w/ enough gravy for the whole neighborhood. Unless thats what you want!! Thanks for pretzle roll recipe. Anxious to try it.

Diane
    May 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Would they freeze well? Thought about making them (a lot) for a party. Thank you.

June 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I believe they would. Sorry for the delay – I was off camping with limited internet access. Let me know how it goes!!

Joni Joyner
    February 2, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Wow!! Just made a batch of these and they are fabulous!!! I have been intimidated by pretzels as well, but this was super easy! We go through tons of pretzel rolls in my house, now i can make them:) Thank you so much!!

Pam
    January 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I made these and they are awesome. But mine stuck really bad to the parchment paper.

January 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I wonder why Pam? How long did you boil the buns for? 30 secs per side? I didn’t have any sticking issues at all. 🙁 Sorry about that.

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    January 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm

These are the cutest buns, they look incredible!

Surf & Turf Sliders - Farmgirl Gourmet
    January 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

[…] they are just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.  Toast some slider buns, like these Pretzel Slider Buns (pictured above) and then give them a good shmear of the clam spread.  Add a lamb patty and a few […]

inkatrinaskitchen
    January 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

I want to reach in and grab one!!

January 16, 2013 at 9:43 am

there are 2 left Katrina…want me to send you one? 🙂

Julia
    January 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

I am right there with you. Making pretzels has intimidated me too! I see so many recipes on Pinterest and love soft, homemade pretzels but just haven’t jumped in and tried them. I Love your step by step directions. These looks so yummy.

Milisa Armstrong
    January 15, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Mercy! Those are some gorgeous buns! Well, gorgeous slider buns! I can’t believe you get freaked by gravy! Being a southern girl, gravy is my middle name.

January 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm

LOL – from now on I shall call you Gravy. 🙂

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife
    January 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

These are calling my name and I can’t wait to see what you made with them.

January 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I can’t wait to share. The post goes live tomorrow. 🙂

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking
    January 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm

These are so beautiful! Seriously. I love how easy this is. I die for pretzel buns, they are so amazing!

January 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Thank you Stefanie. There are 2 left and I am seriously considering hoarding them somewhere no one can find them. 🙂 Although, I did that with chocolate bars on 4th of July and then forgot where I put them….until about a week ago when I located them. Too funny.

Stephanie @ http://noreservations4lunchdinner.blogspot.com
    January 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Completely understand. I have been rather “freaked out” or just plain scared to try pretzels myself too. They sound like they would be so hard to make. But your descriptions and pictures, the way you broke down the steps, make it look easy.Thanks 🙂 Yes summer time will be here a few months and I can’t wait to use this on grilled everything! Actually, these would be perfect for the salsa I just made & slider burgers! 🙂 Kudos to another great recipe blog!

January 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm

thanks for the sweet comment. I think some recipes just need a pictorial – others not so much. Bread always seems to freak people out, so seeing it step by step sure helps. I know it helps me. Thanks for commenting!! ~Heather

bellalimento
    January 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Pretzel buns are my weakness and ps I totally stink at making gravy!

January 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm

That makes me feel better. We should start a Gravy Support Group Paula! 🙂 Thanks for popping in and commenting. We need to catch up soon! xo

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction
    January 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I love pretzel bread and this recipe looks so easy! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet
    January 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I’ve always wanted to make these!! So pretty!

January 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Do it Anna. So much easier than I expected. Now I want to make pretzels…maybe for Superbowl. 🙂

fabiola@notjustbaked
    January 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

I am now craving a pretzel:).

January 15, 2013 at 2:11 pm

they are calling my name from downstairs right now. I had them for lunch & dinner yesterday….so I’m a bit carbed out! 🙂 (I was recipe testing)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie
    January 15, 2013 at 6:46 am

I adore pretzel buns!

January 15, 2013 at 10:09 am

I am now a huge fan too Erin. Who knew they were so great? Not this girl!

diabeticfoodie
    January 15, 2013 at 6:29 am

So glad your frack is no longer freaked. You have some amazing looking buns there, Heather 😉

January 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

lol Shelby, you cheeky monkey. 😉 Thanks for commenting.

steph@stephsbitebybite
    January 15, 2013 at 4:59 am

I could think of 101 things to stuff in these tasty rolls!