Oven-Fried Orange Chicken

One of the best parts of summer is spending extra quality time with the little people around my house.  When we have time together, it really cements our relationships and makes for a happy house and lots of unprovoked hugs.

One of the things I dislike about summer is that I am constantly harassed to “go out” for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Am I alone here?  It can’t just be my kids who are instantly starving (after eating 15 minutes prior) as soon as we hit the car to run errands.  Please say yours do the same?  Please?  Ok, anyway, one of the faves is Panda Express.  My kids would live there if I’d let them.  Orange chicken is all they ever order.  So when I get the request to eat out, the first thing that comes to mind is “I can make that”.  So I do.  Sometimes the kids are stoked with the homemade version and other times…well you get the picture.  One of the main things they love about the Orange Chicken at Panda Express is the crispy fried coating.  Being that I went on a 12 day California adventure and that I came home feeling like I swallowed a watermelon, I have been trying to be good about my food choices and fried breading…not on the list.  So in an effort to please the troops, I breaded the chicken pieces with panko and flour and baked them instead.  Guess what…it was just as good and far less chub-inducing.  Love it.  If you like orange chicken and want a healthier version, give this one a shot.

Oven-Fried Orange Chicken

Yield: Makes 6 Servings

Oven-Fried Orange Chicken

A quick and easy version of orange chicken that is usually fried. Perfect for a weeknight meal and better than take-out!

• 5 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups orange juice, fresh squeezed
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
  • 3 tablespoons Mirin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated fine
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • Toasted Sesame seeds
  • Green Onions, snipped

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Using 2 pie plates, add the beaten eggs to one and toss the panko and flour in the other. Dredge each chicken piece in the egg and then in the panko mixture and add to the prepared baking tray. Repeat with remaining chicken. Bake for 10 minutes and turn the pieces, then continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until chicken is done to your liking.
  3. Meanwhile, add the orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, sriracha, garlic and ginger to a medium saucepan. Bring to a low boil, stir occasionally, turn heat down to low. When the chicken is just about done, add the cornstarch to the orange juice mixture and bring to a boil. Heat until thickened enough to coat a spoon. Remove from the heat.
  4. In a large serving bowl add the cooked chicken and top with the orange sauce, toss lightly to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions and serve with steamed white rice.

Paul H.
    September 30, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Really enjoyed this recipe! I’ve never had much success breading and frying (starts out fine, but I have burnt bits in the oil by the last batch). This baking technique was much easier. And once the sauce is added, it is indistinguishable from restaurant orange chicken. Better, even.

October 12, 2016 at 10:05 am

So glad you enjoyed the recipe Paul. My kids still request this almost weekly! Such an easy way to get restaurant style without the price or deep frying.

Beryl Mullings
    July 27, 2015 at 10:31 am

Thanks for sub for siracha &mirin was a little puzzled,now I can try this dish tonight.Do you have recipe for Jamaican jerk chicken?

Sunny Flowers
    April 10, 2015 at 10:45 am

I realize this is years old now, but I am on the hunt for *the* perfect orange chicken recipe, and though I haven’t tried it yet, this one looks like a contender to me! Just curious, have you ever tried this one with chicken thigh meat instead of breast? I find that it has so much more flavor, and doesn’t tend to dry out in cooking like the breast meat does. And even if all you can find are bone-in, skin-on thighs, it’s really simple to pull off the skin and fat, and flip it over and cut slits along that bone and pull it out of there. The bone-in, skin-on are usually cheaper, too, and you can put the skin and bone in your “soup makings” bag in the freezer. 🙂

April 14, 2015 at 4:46 pm

I haven’t tried it with thigh meat before. Sounds juicy and delish though. Any chicken pieces will work. Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out. ~heather

January 31, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Hi, I made it yesterday and everyone liked it very much. I squeezed about 6 or 8 oranges to get the orange juice I needed – do you think I could buy orange juice and use that just as well?

January 19, 2015 at 11:43 am

Yumm. This is what’s for dinner tonight. Thank you.

Cheryl Deger
    September 2, 2014 at 10:29 am

I’ll be making this tomorrow for the husband & my lunch… The only changes I’ll be making is using whole wheat pano, whole wheat white flour and Splenda brown sugar blend (only 3 teaspoons) to keep the counts down… Thank you for the base recipe…

August 6, 2014 at 9:08 am

I’m gonna try make this tomorrow. I visited America on holiday and I tried orange chicken at panda express and I really liked the taste. Can’t wait to try this out tomorrow! I’ll post pics of how it went

Orange Chicken | The Little Chef
    July 20, 2014 at 8:07 pm

[…] Recipe: Oven-Fried Orange Chicken […]

Sandi Smith
    May 31, 2014 at 2:00 pm

As a diabetic I have to be keenly aware of both carbs and sodium levels, however I don’t see a link to the nutritional information. Any way to obtain such?

April 28, 2014 at 9:00 am

Will be sriracha make this recipe spicy? My kids love orange chicken but they dont like spicy so I am not sure if its a good idea to add that. However, I am afraid that the flavor might be affected if I eliminate that.

Ashley G
      March 12, 2015 at 9:49 pm

You do not have to add the sriracha sauce. If u just add the smallest dab….it won’t come out spicy though.

April 1, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Just made it! It is delicious!!

March 10, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I’m heading to the grocery tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

February 26, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Do you think I could make extra sauce and refrigerate it?

March 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

you bet. I’m guessing it would last 4-5 days in the fridge. You could also freeze it for ease of use later.

Pat Cody
    February 25, 2014 at 12:19 pm

What did you sub the vinegar for? The mirin? I looked it up and it’s like a sweet wine. The suggestions for subs were a dry sherry or a sweet marsala. Certainly not apple cider vinegar. It was totally change the taste.

David Bock
      May 19, 2014 at 3:47 pm

You really don’t want to sub mirin for anything, to be honest. I do a LOT of asian cooking. It’s very easy to find and will be at most any grocery store in the asian foods section. Look for a yellow bottle. It’s cheap too. 🙂

January 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I used Pink Pino Grigio, because I had it. Turned out great! Clean plates all around!

Bonnie Pacher
    February 9, 2014 at 12:24 pm

What is mirin and sriracha ?

Sharon Olson-Dorgeloh
    February 9, 2014 at 8:28 am

I’ve never heard of Mirin or Sriracha where can I buy it????

David Bock
      May 19, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Mirin is a specific cooking rice wine and most grocery store will have the stuff, even walmart. Look for a yellow bottle in the asian food section. It’s used in a LOT of asian cooking and a staple ingredient as much as soy sauce. You’ll fine sriracha there as well. Red bottle, has a rooster on it. Sriracha is an asian hot sauce that is their version of frank’s red hot. Good stuff. Not SUPER hot, but has a nice kick.

June 6, 2014 at 2:26 pm

January 29, 2014 at 10:20 am

This sounds delish. Making it tonight. Do you have a Crispy lemon chicken recipe ?That’s my fave.

February 1, 2014 at 2:10 pm

No crispy lemon chicken, but you could make it similarly by swapping lemon for the orange juice.

January 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Made this tonight and it is so delicious. I used apple cider vinegar and it was fine. It tastes nothing like Panda Express, it is much much better. Fresh tasting. I had some leftover put it in fridge and can’t leave it alone.

January 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

So glad you liked it. It’s a staple recipe in our house. So easy to make and way better for you than driving to the Panda place. 😉 Thanks for commenting!! ~heather

January 26, 2014 at 11:23 am

This is a very good recipe and will be greeted with high praise from your family and friends.

Arthur in the Garden!
    January 25, 2014 at 11:40 am

OMG! I will have to try this is it is one of my favorite!

Kathleen Wood
    January 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Love the crispy part without frying. Do you have a similar recipe for lemon chicken?

Joella Chudy
    December 21, 2013 at 9:02 am

I will be making this tonight. I have been wanting to make this for a while. Marnely R-Murray is my best friend and she told me all about you. Love your blog! Hope to meet you one day!

Kitchen September 3 2012 — Bonbon Break
    December 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm

[…] ~~::Continue Reading::~~ […]

September 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Made this for dinner tonight – was delicious!! I used apple cider vinegar in place of the Mirin. Next time, I will put less Sriracha. It was too spicy for my 6 year old. Will definitely make again…and again…

May 28, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yuuum!! Made this for dinner and the flavor was delicious!! It was a bit tooo spicy for my lil ones and I had only added 1/2 the sirracha so next time I will add even less but either way it’s yuuuum!

April 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

Made this earlier in the week, and oh my goodness, soo good!! So thankful I live alone so I get all the leftovers 🙂
    Great recipe!

April 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm

So happy you enjoyed it Maggie. My kids beg for it…that’s usually how I gauge success. 🙂

Linda Thomas
        January 23, 2014 at 9:57 pm

March 7, 2013 at 7:22 am

We dont buy wine. any other substitute for the mirin?

March 7, 2013 at 7:34 am

You could sub distilled.ehite vinegar, apple vinegar.or even Kombucha. The mirin adds acid, which is what gives the sauce some zing. of the 3 I would definitely try the apple.cider vinegar. Let me know how it goes.

Mona, Kentucky Lady 717
    January 20, 2013 at 11:43 am

This recipe looks so delicious….I will be making this….used to go to Panda Express when I lived in MICH. and now they do not have one here where I live now….

BTW, would you have a recipe for chicken fried rice…..this is my favorite chinese food….I have made it several times, using different recipes and it is just NO good !!!! I am hoping you have a recipe that I can try…..still looking for that special one….sure hope you have it…
    Just found your blog, and already I am loving it….the picture of this Orange Chicken is great and really makes me want to make it, which I will…..thanks for posting this…..

January 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I wish I did Mona!! I love a good chicken fried rice. I will look into creating that recipe. Thanks for popping in and commenting on the Orange Chicken. 🙂

mike klein
      February 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

You can youtube recipies allso, esp for things that are difficult to do like fried rice and eggdrop soup.. i learned how to make pot stickeres on youtube..soso easy!

January 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

We made this dish for my culinary class and everyone loved it.we served it as a tappas.thanks

January 17, 2013 at 11:42 am

Thank you Robin!! So glad everyone enjoyed it. I’ve been craving it lately for sure.

December 28, 2012 at 7:51 pm

This is the second time I have made the dish and it has become a family favorite. My 2 yr old gobbles it up without a fuss! Thanks for a great recipe and I am now a new follower

December 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m so glad you like it Kristina! I need to make it again soon too. My kids love Panda Express orange chicken, so this is a great (healthier) compromise to eating out. Thanks for your comment and making my day!! 🙂 ~Heather

Best Recipes of 2012 - Farmgirl Gourmet
    December 28, 2012 at 3:37 pm

[…] Oven-Fried Orange Chicken – healthy up this Asian favorite by crisping the panko-coated chicken in the oven, rather than frying.  The kids won’t know the difference!  Easy recipe here. […]

Juliana Hardymon
    December 13, 2012 at 6:19 am

This was one of the best meals I’ve made in a while. I made it last night and husband already asked for it again next week. Perfectly spicy (i.e., he didn’t need extra Sriracha for once!) and delicious.

I’d recommend making the splurge and buying Mirin, since I have found that I use it quite frequently now.

December 13, 2012 at 7:34 am

Thank you so much for coming back to leave a review and I’m elated that you enjoyed this recipe. I love hearing successes and appreciate your comment very much. Actually you made my day!! Thank you! Heather

Sue Lambrix
    November 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

The two ingredients below the brown sugar..mirin and sirachan………could something be substituted for those? It’s hard to buy something you rarely use and then it goes bad before you use it again

November 12, 2012 at 9:10 am

you could use white wine and a little white vinegar instead of mirin and for the Sriracha and type of hot sauce like Tabasco would work. I hope that helps. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by. ~Heather

January 24, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Thank you for the suggested substitutions. Had no idea what Sriracha and Mirin were. I’m sure this is delicious!!! Janet

March 25, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I used crushed red pepper instead of Sriaracha and it was perfect! Thank you for a fabulous recipe!!!

zane darlow
      February 10, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Try the siracha you can put it on almost anything especially asian foods or tacos/mexican food before you know it you’ll use it like ketchup

Kitchen September 10 2012 | Bonbon Break
    October 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

[…] OVEN-FRIED ORANGE CHICKEN ::: Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Farmgirl Gourmet Beet Pasta Carbonara with Peas & Bacon - Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 16, 2012 at 2:04 am

[…] it will take to make the carbonara which isn’t terribly long, but this is definitely not a weeknight meal, so plan accordingly.   This meal was created to help Share Our Strength’s No Kid […]