These Whole Wheat Zucchini Brownies are not too sweet and perfectly fudgy. Made with freshly grated zucchini, white whole wheat flour and rich chocolate.
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that can be used in a million different ways – sweet or savory it’s perfect. For this recipe, I went full on sweet and it turned out perfectly. The brownies are made with white whole wheat flour and sprinkled with just a little bit of powdered sugar. I’m such a sucker for that sweet little sprinkling on top. If you’re feeling frisky you could even serve it with a big scoop of ice cream.
Don’t worry when you make these brownies if the batter seems a bit dry. Let it rest for just a minute and the zucchini will release enough moisture to make the batter just a little more wet. Trust me, it will look weird at first but totally come together in the end!
The hardest thing about this recipe is letting the brownies cool before you cut into them. But you know the old saying – good things come to those who wait!
Whole Wheat Zucchini Brownies
Yield 8-10 servings
An easy and veggie packed recipe for Whole Wheat Zucchini Brownies. The kids will never know you snuck in something that's good for them.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup freshly grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350º F degrees and spray a 9x9 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add sugar, oil and vanilla bean paste. Stir to combine.
- Add in white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir to combine. The mixture might look a little dry but let it sit for just a few minutes and the zucchini should release some water and make the mixture a bit more moist.
- Add the mixture (it will be thick) to the prepared baking dish, press to the sides and smooth so that the brownies are equally distributed. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the sides are set and the center is just slightly soft. Let cool before slicing and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.