Rosemary Fig Jam

by FarmgirlGourmet

I don’t know about you, but it’s virtually impossible for me to pass by a container of figs at the market and not buy them.  Costco has had them now for the past few weeks.  Well, my Costco at least.  Anyway, you know how Costco is.  Gigantic size everything….including containers of figs.  So, in an effort to not have a pile of furry figs, I decided to make some jam.

I made up some bruschetta by brushing baguette slices with olive oil and rubbing them with fresh garlic and toasting in the oven for about 5 minutes.  Then I smeared some chevre (goat cheese) and a dollop of Rosemary Fig Jam and LOOK OUT!  I had a hard time stopping….it’s that tasty…..and Easy!!  Here’s the recipe….

Rosemay Fig Jam
[print]

5 cups figs, stemmed and cut into 1/2 inch dice
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup Port Wine or Merlot
2 Rosemary sprigs
1 lemon, zested
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
1 In a medium saucepan add the diced figs and sugar.  Allow to macerate for 20 minutes.  Add the wine, rosemary sprigs, lemon zet and salt and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture becomes thick like jam.  Discard the rosemary sprigs

2 Prepare 3 – 1/2 pint canning jars and fill with the hot jam mixture.  Place lids and bands on and process in a water bath for 15 minutes.  Allow to cool on a kitchen towel and check for proper sealing.

Makes 3 – 1/2 pint jars

23 comments

Monica July 24, 2013 - 6:30 pm

I made this tonight and it is fantastic. I want to pick more figs and make it for Christmas gifts. I did add a little bit of pectin because it was not thickening well. Made several other batches with different recipes, and this was by far the best. Thanks!

Sue S. June 18, 2013 - 11:06 am

I am so excited. I have a lovely rosemary bed and two fig trees that never fail to produce! I have been looking for another jam recipe–rhubarb and rosemary is divine–and this is absolutely perfect. Thank you!

Carolyn October 28, 2011 - 3:37 am

Ooo, I bet the rosemary really gives it a whole new flavour!

Megan October 21, 2011 - 6:57 am

I have the same problem with figs! I really need to get a tree of my own to help curb this problem 😉 Beautiful jam!

Diane {Created by Diane} October 20, 2011 - 11:43 am

looks great!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE October 20, 2011 - 6:49 am

Would it be inappropriate if I say… I love you?!?

Eliotseats October 18, 2011 - 6:20 pm

I am envious of anyone who can get fresh figs. I see so many great fig recipes, but alas, I have no fig purveyor! 🙂

Priscilla - She's Cookin' October 18, 2011 - 8:19 am

I’m with Barb – love it all! Always love fig jam, but the rosemary and port/red wine make this doubly delicious.

Ann October 17, 2011 - 11:39 pm

This is amazing! I LOVE rosemary and figs together….I’ve had them in appetizers, but never thought about a jam! Brilliant!

Baker Street October 17, 2011 - 9:27 pm

love the pictures! and love the pairing of figs and rosemary!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen October 17, 2011 - 7:52 pm

I’m the same way, I can’t pass up fresh figs when I see them either.

Cake Duchess October 17, 2011 - 7:40 pm

I just looked in my fridge and thought, time for another fig cake. Now I know what I will make instead. Your jam looks fantastic! I’d love one of your baguette slices right now as a snack:)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen October 17, 2011 - 5:18 pm

Sounds amazing! Do you think it could be made with dried figs? Fresh are pretty hard to come by here.

Terra October 17, 2011 - 4:06 pm

Rosemary and Figs? I love it! I am such a lover of rosemary, such a gorgeous herb:-) Your jam looks wonderful:-) Hugs, Terra

foodie @ Tasting Spot October 17, 2011 - 3:27 pm

i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it’s for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

Barbara | Creative Culinary October 17, 2011 - 2:53 pm

I love everything…the toasts, the jam, the goat cheese and yes, the Costco. 🙂

Fuji Mama October 17, 2011 - 2:52 pm

I am a complete sucker for anything fig, but the fact that you added rosemary into the fix has me drooling!!!

Nelly Rodriguez October 17, 2011 - 2:30 pm

Love this combination of flavors, must try soon! Is it weird I’d totally eat this on scrambled eggs and toast? I like the sweet/savory combination!

EA-The Spicy RD October 17, 2011 - 2:07 pm

I’m not a huge fan of figs, but fig jam, YES!!! Especially with goat cheese. Super yummy! Love your fun Halloween blog theme too! Very fun 🙂

Jeanette October 17, 2011 - 1:31 pm

Yum, this sounds so good – something you would never find in a supermarket. Love the flavor combination.

diabeticFoodie October 17, 2011 - 1:27 pm

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! This sounds amazing! I have been gorging on no-sugar-added fig preserves and goat cheese smeared on melba toast lately. I can’t get enough of it. There are two things that grow with no effort whatsoever where I live – figs and rosemary. Our fig tree was absolutely loaded until Hurricane Irene 🙁

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray October 17, 2011 - 1:11 pm

This sounds delicious!

tori October 17, 2011 - 12:31 pm

Such beautiful photos- and such a gorgeous recipe- perfect for this time of year. Our markets in London (Borough) were full of figs on the weekend. I bought a whole bunch to make a cheesecake with amaretti cookies- but I think this is a much nicer idea. Will try next weekend. Thank you!

Comments are closed.