Can you believe it’s Week 4 of the California Olive Ranch and Bob’s Red Mill Healthy New Year Challenge? It has been really fun for me to be a part of this fantastic challenge. Here’s a recap of the past 3 weeks.
And here we are…Week 4. So far we’ve had a great meal using California Olive Ranch and Bob’s Red Mill products and now it’s time for some dessert. Today I bring you….(drumroll please)
Week 4 – Butternut Squash Olive Oil Cake with Clementine Glaze
This cake uses Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and Olive Oil and it is spectacular. Do you want to lick the screen? I sure do.
- 1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup butternut squash puree (from a small roasted butternut squash)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/4 cup water or fat free milk
- 1 tablespoon clementine rind, grated
- 1/4 + 2 tablespoons clementine juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking pan or bundt liberally with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves until light and well incorporated. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, add the squash puree, eggs and oil and mix well to combine. Add the sugars and mix to incorporate. Add the spiced flour mixture and mix until the dry ingredients are wet, don't over mix. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 40-50 minutes. Test doneness with a toothpick. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on a wire rack before inverting to cool completely.
- Add all glaze ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle over the cooled cake and serve.
Other cake recipes on Farmgirl Gourmet: