Every January we all don our stretchy pants. Not to make extra room for pie or another helping of mashed potatoes, rather to run on treadmills, or lift weights. Two of my favorite foodies, Brandy from Nutmeg Nanny & Carrie from Bakeaholic Mama reached out and asked if I’d like to be a part of Doughnut Week. You read that right, doughnuts in January. When all other foodies are snapping pics of bowls of greens, we are throwing caution to the wind and slapping on the stretchy pants for doughnuts. In January. Outrageous!
What’s more….we are also doing giveaways for fun kitchen gadgets each day! Today is a Keurig – the entry is at the bottom. Don’t miss it!!
I think one of the best inventions is the donut baking pan. I mean, seriously, no frying! Just pipe the donut batter into the greased pan, bake 8 minutes and it’s time to eat donuts! Brilliant!
I have a recipe for a chocolate cake that has Kahlúa and it’s one of my absolute favorites (check it out here) when I need a quick cake with loads of flavor. If we eat cake with Kahlúa then why not a doughnut, right? Who’s with me? It’s only a 1/4 cup, so no worries about giving this to the kiddos.
Are you ready for even more deliciousness? These girls know how to make donuts and even though I may have already eaten 2143 doughnuts today, I’d gladly taste test each one of these. Check it out!
- Carrie – Bakeaholic Mama – Salted Maple Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Brandy – Nutmeg Nanny – Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnuts
- Rachel – Baked By Rachel – Strawberry Cheesecake Donuts
- Julie – Table for Two – Triple Coconut Donut
- Gina – Running to the Kitchen – Chocolate Pumpkin Donut Holes with Amaretto Glaze
- Kita – Pass the Sushi – Irish Cream Filled Doughnuts
- Lauren – Healthy Delicious – Spiced Banana Donut Holes
- Emily – Jelly Toast Blog – Chai Spiced Donut Muffins
- Lauren – Climbing Grier Mountain – Spiced Baked Doughnuts w Nacho Chili Cheese
- Megan – Country Cleaver – Chocolate Stout Maple Bar
If you aren’t drooling, then you might want to check your pulse! Wow. Wait until you see what’s coming up next. “Next”? you say? Yep…it’s Doughnut WEEK, which means we can’t just give you one doughnut and then head back to that pile of kale. We will be posting on Wednesday and Friday too. I’ve seen the list and it’s CRAZY DELISH! Stay tuned. Now for the recipe for these super quick, uber moist, chocolate Kahlúa donuts with an espresso cream cheese icing. Oh baby!
Quick baked Kahlúa and Espresso cream cheese doughnuts.
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Kahlúa
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- cooking spray
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, finely grated or shaved
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Spray a donut baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the sifted flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add the buttermilk, Kahlúa, eggs and butter. Stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared baking pan filling each 2/3 full. Bake 7-9 minutes, or until no longer wet and springs back when touched.
- Remove from baking pan by turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat to blend. Stir in 2 tablespoons milk (or more if desired) to make a spreadable icing. Add the espresso powder and stir to combine.
- Ice each cooled doughnut with about 2-3 teaspoons icing. Sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve.
Now for a fun giveaway!! 1 winner will be chosen and US addresses only.