Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding

Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding |

One of the great things about being a food blogger is the people you meet along your journey.  I have made fast friends with Lorie Hutson from The Spokesman Review, our local paper and she has graciously added my recipes in the Food section many a time.

Cinnamon Apple Bread Pudding |

I recently had coffee with her to “catch up” and in passing she asked if I had any kind of easy brunch dish that would be perfect for Easter Sunday.  I had just made a Sweet Potato Crusted Quiche, but figured I’d whip something else up that was more breakfast-y.  Is that a word?  Anyway, this recipe comes together quick and can be baked a head and reheated if necessary.

Cinnamon Apple Bread Pudding |

You can kick this bread pudding up a notch by tossing in chunks of diced apples, chocolate chips, raisins or dried cranberries…the possibilities are endless!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  Check out all of the other great recipes that were in the recent food article here:  Simplicity of Brunch.

Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding

Yield: Serves 8-10

Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding

A fast make-ahead Easter brunch dish.

• 2 cups applesauce
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons for the topping
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 8 slices Texas Toast, cubed
  • For the Icing:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl add the applesauce. eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, milk and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add the bread cubes and toss lightly to coat. Allow to sit for a few minutes. Add to prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top. Bake uncovered for 50-55 minutes, or until the center is set and the pudding has puffed. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes.
  3. To a small bowl add the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and stir to combine. Drizzle over the warm bread pudding and serve immediately.

Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding |

December 11, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Its in the oven right now. The applesauce mixture tasted awesome before it went into the oven. I can’t wait. It also is filling the house with incredible smells.

November 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Hi Heather, I’ve been coordinating tailgates/post game meals for my son’s soccer team and found this recipe when I had a couple of dozen sandwich rolls leftover. I substituted the rolls for the texas toast and cooked this in a crockpot to keep warm for a post game dessert treat. the boys and parents loved it! thanks so much for the recipe!

Nelda Cobb
    October 12, 2013 at 9:20 am

I really like bread pudding. Would love to try this..

October 12, 2013 at 5:37 am

Yum, Heather. I would love it you fed this to me for breakfast!

Lisa from Iroquois
    October 6, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Utterly yummy. Used up the end of last years apple sauce for this and now I’ll have to make extra this year just for this recipe.

October 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Texas toast? the garlic stuff? in a dessert? doesn’t sound good unless you just mean the bread they make texas toast out of

October 12, 2013 at 9:04 am

Hi there, I live in England. I have no idea what Texas Toast is. Please can you clarify? Also, if I want to use apples, instead of apple sauce? I assume I just cook about the amount I think will make two cups?
      It looks great. Thanks.

October 13, 2013 at 9:06 am

it’s a really thick cut white bread, like french toast bread. You could also use a challah if that’s more easily accessible. Hope that helps. Yes to the applesauce question as well.

Whole and Heavenly Oven - Over 30 (Time-Saving!) Slow-Cooker Recipes
    September 14, 2013 at 5:43 am

[…] Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding […]

May 21, 2013 at 10:36 am

I adore bread pudding, and this one sounds and looks amazing…can’t wait to make it for brunch next weekend.

Chewy Puffed Brown Rice Bars - Farmgirl Gourmet
    April 5, 2013 at 10:22 am

[…] enough of that third person stuff.  I will do my best to keep the yumminess coming on Farmgirl Gourmet.  I have a lonnnnnng list of recipes on my white board just waiting to be made, photographed and […]

Nutmeg Nanny
    April 4, 2013 at 1:17 pm

This looks beyond delicious!!!!!!

Chung-Ah (@damn_delicious)
    April 1, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Amazing! I’ll have to make this for brunch this weekend!

April 1, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I agree with Kiran! Especially because of the applesauce, yum.

March 31, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Oh my gosh! I need this bread pudding in my life!