Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes

I am so beside myself right now.  Not because of this bowl of creamy dreamy deliciousness, but because it’s only 3 days until my house will be filled with family and close friends, a 20 lb bird in the oven and my living room will be morphed into a cozy dining space filled with candles, painted gourds and dish after dish of great food.  I still feel like it’s Summertime and can’t even believe that we are about ready to give thanks.  I hope I’m not alone on this .  Say you’re with me!

If you’re still on the hunt for a delish mashed potato recipe, this is one for the keeper file.  The only special tool needed is a potato ricer but you can certainly whip them with a hand mixer or even an old fashioned potato masher.  Using a ricer will make the potatoes silky smooth with not a lump in sight.  Lumps or no lumps, mashed potatoes are a GREAT thing.

Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 4-6 Servings

Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are made extra creamy with the edition of sour cream. Make them skinny with skim milk and fat free sour cream or go crazy with whole milk & regular sour cream. Either way, they are easy and delicious.

• 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large rounds
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • salt & pepper, to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and salt, to taste. Boil until fork tender. Drain well in a colander.
  2. Return the pot to the stove and add the milk and butter and warm over medium-low heat. While the butter and milk are warming, rice the potatoes into the milk mixture. When all potatoes are riced, add the sour cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon and serve immediately.

Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes recipe | farmgirlgourmet.com

Roasted Pumpkin, Gala Apple & Garam Masala Soup - Farmgirl Gourmet
    November 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

[…] is a smoothie for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Β Ok, not really, but I should. Β With all of the mashed potatoes, pies and turkey, I just may have gained 10 lbs from one day of eating. Β We are all feeling it […]

addie | culicurious
    November 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Love mashed potatoes and love sour cream. WIN πŸ™‚

Kristina
    November 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

oh, Heather I AM right there with ya – while I am SOVERYEXCITED for the holidays, I cannot believe they are here. summer went way too fast, and I *REALLY* don’t like that I sound like “a grown up adult” when I say things like that – “time flies…” “the older I get…”

GAAH. these mashed potatoes will help comfort me…

Cindi
    November 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Great idea with the ricer – I’ve used sour cream and also a 1/3 C cream cheese… yummy πŸ™‚

Jane @ EarthAppleJane
    November 20, 2012 at 3:17 pm

This looks absolutely delicious Heather, and I will definitely have to give a ricer a go if it turns out as beautifully as this! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

JulieD
    November 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

Now that looks super amazing!!

November 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Thanks Julie. They were great…and now I’m regretting saying I’d make Potatoes Gratin instead of Mashed for Thanksgiving. πŸ™‚

Jennifer
    November 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

I love this recipe I am Def doing it this year!!

November 20, 2012 at 8:56 am

Thank you Jennifer. It makes the potatoes so creamy and the hint of acid from the sour cream really makes them tasty. Let me know if you decide to make them how you liked them. Happy Thanksgiving week to you!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction
    November 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Love how creamy and buttery these are! Perfect for Thanksgiving!

November 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm

That ricer makes mashed potatoes a dream! Thanks for commenting Jessica! πŸ™‚

Sandra
    November 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

How do I qualify for drawing tomorrow- include me!! Thx for recipe xo

November 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

hi Sandra. come back to farmgirlgourmet.com tomorrow and leave a comment. i will have the rules up tomorrow morning at 3am EST. Sorry to tease. πŸ™‚

Jennifer
        November 20, 2012 at 8:26 am

not sure where I find the rules to win this Fab prize.. πŸ™ hope im not too late

Sandra
    November 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

How do we become eligible for your drawing tmrow?

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen
    November 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Gorgeous mashed potatoes! I had no idea I needed a ricer and now I use the OXO ricer every day! Now I know why you were so excited!

November 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm

The ricer is NECESSARY in the kitchen, IMO. Glad you are getting so much use out of it. I am digging this OXO one for sure.

Matt
    November 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

You know what’s funny? I saw the picture of all the tools and the first thing I thought was, “Her house is only 66 degrees??” My wife would kill me if I let ours get that cold. Your potatoes look amazing and I love the addition of sour cream! I think I’ll do that and also throw in some roasted garlic. Have a great Thanksgiving!

November 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

LOL Matt. We are testing out a new “heating plan” that includes taking the house down to 65 during the day (I have been buying sweaters which are cheaper than energy). So far it’s working out and we are seeing good results on the bill. πŸ™‚ Roasted garlic in those taters would be awesome. Both kids proclaimed them the best mashed potatoes ever. They also said that about my butternut squash mac and cheese until they found out it was butternut squash, so I hope they’re not blowing sunshine. πŸ™‚ Happy Thanksgiving week to you too!!

Heather

ajay
    November 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

lovely recipe,yummy butter
    thanks for giving

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 19, 2012 at 8:27 am

Found these via twitter….they look so creamy and decadent! I bet the addition of sour cream is just fantastic πŸ™‚

November 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

Sour cream definitely kicks up regular mashed potatoes. The potato ricer helps make them silky as well. Thanks for popping by!! Happy Thanksgiving week to you!! πŸ™‚

Carrian@ohsweetbasil
    November 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

Creamy, buttery, I am with Rachel, the butter just makes it even better! Yum!

November 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

Thanks Carrian. Butter makes the world go round, for sure. πŸ™‚ Happy almost Thanksgiving to you!

diabeticFoodie
    November 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

Gorgeous photo, Heather! Happy Thanksgiving week!

November 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

Thank you Miss Shelby!! Happy Thanksgiving week back atcha. Hope it’s a fabulous stress free week for you! xo

Rachel Cooks
    November 19, 2012 at 5:08 am

Love that pool of butter–yum! Have a happy Thanksgiving, Heather!

November 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

I know, right? I wanted to lick it, but I had to serve it to my family for dinner. πŸ™‚ Happy almost Thanksgiving friend. I <3 ya!