Remember my trip to Harry & David two weeks ago? Part of me is still there in the beautiful Rogue Valley. While I was in Medford hanging with the sweet folks at H&D and 12 of my favorite bloggers, I went to the Harry & David store. Yep, a whole store dedicated to all things H&Delicious. I wish you could’ve been a fly on the wall as I darted back and forth through the store filling my basket, then unfilling it, then refilling. You get the picture. It was like being 5 in Willy Wonka’s factory. Samples of Rogue Creamery cheese were being handed out with juicy chunks of Rogue Valley pears. Another person passes by with a tray of chocolate covered caramels, to which I bolted to find and place in the basket (these never came back out again). On the other end of the store, 2 gentlemen are offering wine tastings and by tasting I mean a nice portion to carry along as you load up the cart again and again and again.
The variety of products was incredible. Anything and everything a foodie could want all wrapped up in pretty packaging. A few of the items I came home with were Herbed Basil Fettuccine (pictured above & sold in stores), Rogue Creamery Blue Cheese, Chocolate Covered Caramels (only sold in stores). My husband reads my blog from time to time, so I better just leave it at that. :)
A couple days after I returned from Medford my box showed up with my goodies from the store and I was instantly inspired to put the ingredients to use with one of the giant Royal Riviera pears I brought back. This pasta is like the classic salad with pears, blue cheese and walnuts only made entirely better with the addition of caramelized shallots, herby pasta and of course….cream. Cream makes the world a better place.
Ok ok…before I go any further I wanted to tell you that I have a gift basket to give away from Harry & David. They were so sweet to ask if I’d like to share some of the goodies I’ve had the great pleasure of sampling and I was instantly on board. They let me choose which basket to giveaway and I thought the Roxy Ann Classic was a good representation of their deliciousness. Pears, apples, cheese. OH MY! Seriously, it’s a gorgeous basket chock full (really) of the freshest fruit and the tastiest cheese, crackers and relish. I’m so excited to give this basket away! It only takes ONE comment to enter, the other entries are extras. Good luck to you!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Now for an easy and delicious recipe of pasta, sweet pears and pungent blue cheese.
- 8 ounces herbed fettuccine (or plain)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 Royal Riviera pear, cored, cut into bite sized chunks (or other pear variety)
- 5 ounces blue cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup toasted walnut pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt to taste and boil pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and shallots and saute until beginning to lightly brown (don't burn). Add the pear and quickly saute, about 2 minutes. Add the blue cheese, cream and peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn down to low once the cheese has melted in to the sauce. Keep warm until the pasta is done.
- Add 1/3 cup of the pasta water to the pear mixture and then add the pasta. Toss to coat and sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.