Secret Recipe Club: Curried Carrot & Apple Soup

When I got my assigned blog for this months Secret Recipe Club, I was elated that my fellow food blogger was across the pond.  A new adventure for me!  My assigned blog, Lavender & Lovage was right up my alley.  Karen is like-minded in that she loves seasonal ingredients and she cooks in her country kitchen in England AND France.  Karen – I can come visit you anytime.  🙂  Anyway, I got lost in her blog.  The possibilities of what to make were endless!  You see, I can make anything I’d like from her recipe repository.

After spending much of the day yesterday clearing out the last harvest in my garden of carrots and beets, I figured I’d better incorporate one of the two into my secret recipe post.  That’s when I stumbled on Karen’s Curried Carrot and Apple Soup.  The gorgeous orange hue of her soup made me long to have a bowl.

This is a quick soup to make, so it would be great for a weeknight meal.  It’s satisfying and delicious and I’m so glad I made it.  I hope you pay Karen a visit!  No passport or airport frisk is needed, just pop over to her blog and savor the gorgeous food and photography!

Curried Carrot & Apple Soup with Fried Shallots

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and diced small
2 lbs carrots, peeled and diced small (about 8 large)
2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup fat-free half and half

1 small shallot, sliced into rings and fried in butter until crispy and golden

1 Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.  Add the onion and stir to coat.  Saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.  Add the garlic, apple, carrots and curry and stir to combine.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Add the stock and salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender when pierced with a fork.

2 Using an immersion blender or jar blender, blend the soup until smooth.  If using a jar blender, you may need to do this in batches.  Never overfill the jar blender with hot soup, or you’ll be cleaning your ceiling!  Stir in the half and half and then ladle into bowls and top with the crispy shallots and serve.

This recipe was adapted from here.  Please take a moment to share the blog love with Karen at Lavender and Lovage.  Thanks for reading!

Mexican Shrimp, Tomato & Chili Wraps | Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 7, 2015 at 8:03 pm

[…] had the pleasure of making one of Karen’s recipes before in a previous SRC post for Curried Carrot and Apple Soup.  Karen has a ton of great recipes on her blog, so don’t miss it! […]

Questions on Vegan Recipes For Kids Your Questions About Vegan Meals On A Budget | Questions on Vegan Recipes For Kids
    January 12, 2013 at 8:25 pm

[…] Chris asks…What Vegan meals freeze well?I'm wondering what types of meals I can cook up on the wee…="dtm-content"> […]

in season: 48 apple recipes | Café Zupas
    October 31, 2012 at 8:01 am

[…] Kitchen Cafe 3 – Bacon, Apple and Applewood Cheddar Grilled Cheese from Sweet Basil 4 – Curried Carrot and Apple Soup from Farmgirl Gourmet 5 – Grilled Chicken Tacos with Green Apple Salsa from Cassie Craves 6 […]

Farmgirl Gourmet SRC: Mexican Shrimp, Tomato & Chili Wraps - Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 22, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Farmgirl Gourmet Spring Salad with Strawberries, Bacon & Blue Cheese - Secret Recipe Club - Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 16, 2012 at 2:10 am

[…]  Being a part of The Secret Recipe Club opens those doors near and far.  You may remember the Curried Carrot & Apple Soup from a fellow food blogger from the UK called Lavender & Lovage. […]

nicole @ I am a honey bee
    December 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love carrot soups. we have 2 rabbits so we always have fresh fruits and veggies around, esp carrots!

November 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Such a lovely soup…mouth is watering right now as I type!

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. I truly have enjoyed my time with you/your blog as my November SRC assignment. The Honey Challah was a HUGE hit! 🙂

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray
    November 29, 2011 at 8:47 am

I love crispy shallots!

Andrew's Mom
    November 29, 2011 at 7:52 am

PS – got the Homemade cookbook yesterday! Thank you for the awesome giveaway.

Andrew's Mom
    November 29, 2011 at 7:52 am

Heather that looks and sounds amazing!

November 29, 2011 at 5:21 am

I like the crispy shallot topping for this soup – the flavors sound fantastic.

November 29, 2011 at 3:46 am

With all those recipes to choose from, it sounds like you picked a real winner!

November 29, 2011 at 2:38 am

Delicious & easy soup. That is what I love most. Craving for a warm bowl myself.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets
    November 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

That sounds like the perfect combination of sweet and a little spicy!

November 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

This looks like a wonderful soup! Beautiful photo too!

Barbara | Creative Culinary
    November 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I’ve been making so many soups this fall; root vegetables are my new faves. I love curry; how could I not love this?! Um um good.

Kate @ Food Babbles
    November 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm

This soup looks delicious and I love the fried shallots!!

November 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I’ve been on a soup kick since the weather started turning chilly, and this looks like a great one to add to my try it list. What a unique combination for a soup. Thanks for dropping by my blog and have a great week. 🙂

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    November 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’d love a warm bowl of soup like that on a chilly night and the fried shallot makes a very elegant topping.

November 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Wow, very different, and very interesting sounding!

November 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I can’t say that I’ve ever tried a soup like this before but that’s not to say that I wouldn’t try it now! What a gorgeous color it is!

November 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I have a newfound love for carrot soup and this one sounds so good with the curry powder. I want a bowl!

November 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Looks perfect for my family, even though the weather here in SoCal is still very warm. And now I have another blog I have to check out:)

November 28, 2011 at 11:52 am

This sounds so heavenly. I’ve made apple and sweet potato soup, as well as curried carrot soup. So combining the carrots and apples sounds perfect!

November 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

I love soups like this. A perfect pick for the SRC!

November 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

This is what I call comfort food, looks so inviting! Perfect for the winter.

Priscilla - She's Cookin'
    November 28, 2011 at 10:27 am

Great flavors here! Love the combination of apples and carrots with curry and that it’s simple to make 🙂

Isabelle @ Crumb
    November 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

What a great pick. I’m in love with those fried shallots. Such an original and tasty topping!
    I’ve made a similar soup with carrots and apples, though not with curry powder, which sounds like a wonderful combination… must try out this recipe the next time I’m craving a bowl of something warm and spicy.

November 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

This soup looks delicious, warm and hearty! Great job! I love your blog, will definitely be back again! 🙂

Cake Duchess
    November 28, 2011 at 8:41 am

Fried shallots. Oh my goodness. I am in love with this comforting and delicious recipe. I hope you had a lovely holiday. xo

Karen S Booth
    November 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

Thanks so much for the lovely write up about me and my blog and THANKS so much for making this soup…..the photos are glorious and it is WONDERFUL to meet you ~ I am off to peruse your blog now!

November 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

It’s pouring outside and this looks like the perfect thing to warm me up!