Roasted Butternut Squash & Brie Mac & Cheese with Smoky Bacon

Rich creamy Mac & Cheese is veggie-fied with roasted butternut squash.  I accidentally made one of my butternut’s slip from the vine one day in the garden.  So I brought it in the house and set it on the counter.  That squash has made eye-contact with me about 8,691 times in the past few weeks and today I finally decided to use it.

This recipe is easy to make and if I hadn’t opened my mouth about the addition of the butternut, my kids would’ve never known it was there.  Seriously.  The gorgeous orange color comes from the butternut squash puree.  The addition of brie makes it decadent and rich and the extra sharp cheese adds the bite that any good homemade Mac & Cheese should have.  Make it full fat, make it low fat, either way it will be delicious!

Start by roasting a butternut squash.  This one was about 3 lbs and I only used half of it.  The other half will go to making bread tomorrow.

Drizzle them with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Wrap tightly with aluminum foil.

Roast in a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until tender.

Remove the seeds and discard, then remove the flesh to a bowl.

Puree in a blender and set aside.

For the sauce, you’ll need 2 cups of milk, 4 oz cream cheese, 6 oz Brie and 4 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Add all of the sauce ingredients into a large saucepan or large skillet.  Think: Big enough to dump in the pasta later.

Once the cheeses are melted, add 2 cups of squash puree and whisk to combine.  Add salt and pepper to taste and a 1/8 teaspoon of grated nutmeg.

Looks like Kraft!  Only no preservatives, Yellow #?, or whatever else is added to the box stuff.  Toss in 1 lb of al dente pasta and stir to combine.  Top with crisp bacon pieces and serve.

Note: Do as I say and not as I do.  If you’ll be serving this to children, wait until after they have inhaled it to tell them it has veggies in it.  Just sayin!

Roasted Butternut Squash & Brie Mac & Cheese with Smoky Bacon

4 oz cream cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste

1 lb pasta, cooked
4 bacon slices, diced and fried crispy

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place the quartered squash on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Drizzle with the olive oil and salt a pepper and wrap tightly with more foil.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until fork tender.  Remove the seeds and discard and remove pulp to the blender.  Puree until smooth.  Remove 2 cups and set aside, reserving the remainder for another use.

2 Cook the pasta as directed on the package.  In a large pot or large skillet over medium heat, add the milk, cheeses, nutmeg and salt and pepper.  Whisk until smooth.  Add the 2 cups of squash puree and whisk until smooth.  Add the drained, cooked pasta and toss to coat.  Top with the crisp bacon bits and serve.

Makes 6 Servings

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Donuts with Chocolate Glaze - Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm

[…]  I am just finally able listen (and hear it loud and clear) when my body says “hey, that mac & cheese you just snarfed is making your stomach […]

Christen Pino Ferguson
    August 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Made this today. I am a chef at a homeless shelter and get many items donated. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what to make with what I have. Delicious, and I am happy to sneak in a vegetable!

Farmgirl Gourmet Winter Squash, Sage & Fresh Ricotta Manicotti - Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 16, 2012 at 2:17 am

[…] kids, well, they aren’t thanking you so much.  Even though my daughter proclaimed that my Roasted Butternut Squash Brie Mac & Cheese was “The best mac and cheese I’ve ever eaten”, until she found out it had squash […]

Kristina
    October 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I actually tried this!!! But it didn’t turn out so well. The cheese sauce never totally dissolved, small bits of cheese chunks were all over the place. Not creamy consistency at all. Oh well.

Kristina
    October 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I found your pumpkin spice latte recipe on pinterest, and it caught my eye so I decided to stop over and check out your blog. Everything looks divine! I decided to become a follower because these recipes are actually “doable” if you get what I mean. Question about this particular recipe – I have some edam cheese, could I use that in place of the brie? If not, do you have a recipe that I could use edam in?

Thanks!
    Kristina
    http://www.pearlgateway.com – if you feel like taking a break and checking out some handmade cards and what not! 🙂

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels
    October 6, 2011 at 4:38 am

This recipe sounds incredible!!! (and not to mention looks amazing) I seriously want you to make me breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. 🙂 Your recipes always make me so hungry!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen
    October 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I’m so envious of the things you grow in your garden! This mac and cheese must be to die for veggies or not!

marla {family fresh cooking}
    October 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Such a delicious way to prepare butternut squash!

EA-The Spicy RD
    October 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Absolutely love this! It’s raining here, and this would be perfect comfort food. Glad you didn’t pass the squash for the 8,692 time!

Julia
    October 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

I’d like to bathe in a pot of this! I love how you can hide bn squash in mac & cheese, husbands and kids need their veggies 🙂

Nelly Rodriguez
    October 5, 2011 at 8:56 am

I need this in my life!

Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook
    October 5, 2011 at 8:47 am

I’m a mac and cheese enthusiast. I could totally rock this for lunch.

Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 5, 2011 at 7:38 am

@Thefarmgirlcooks – Any sweet squash or even sweet potatoes would work just fine. You barely taste it, it just adds creamy texture, color and firmness to the sauce.

@Megan – I think everyone’s trying to use up the bounty of butternuts in something more interesting that soup. 🙂 That’s what I was doing…and using up the last of the Brie from Ile de France. DELISH!

groovyfoody
    October 5, 2011 at 7:37 am

Oh my! We are certainly being challenged in the veggies department with our little one. I think I’ll be making this tonight. You rock!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver
    October 5, 2011 at 7:34 am

I have been seeing butternut squash mac n’ cheese everywhere! What’s the deal? Clearly this is something amazing that must be made and investigated… Oh, darn. (hear the sarcasm? Inside I’m saying “SQUIIEEEE”)
    ~Megan

thefarmgirlcooks
    October 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

I’ve been craving mac n cheese for weeks! This isn’t helping ; )

Have you tried buttercup or ambercup squashes? The texture is sweet potato-like and very nutty. Bet it would be a lovely complement to the cheeses and bacon.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray
    October 5, 2011 at 5:33 am

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing, especially with the bacon on top. Yum!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.
    October 5, 2011 at 5:18 am