Today I’m going to tell you a little story about Heather. I know, you’re stoked, right? And…it’s going to be in third person, which is always fun. Ok, here it goes.
Heather has been working like a crazy lady lately. No, she doesn’t have a book deal (yet) and she never got that second call back for that cool cooking show on NBC either (darn). What Heather does aside from this blog is graphic & web design. She’s not professionally trained, just a girl who likes to make things pretty. Making other peoples blogs pretty takes a lot of time. Time that is usually spent making yummy food for Farmgirl Gourmet. Hence, the reason
my her posts have been so sporadic lately.
Now for some fun news – no, still no book deal. Heather just partnered with a local spice company called SavorX. It’s not your ordinary online spice company, SavorX strives to give you the freshest whole spices and even offers a Spiceologist subscription where you can have spices with a recipe sent to you every month. But wait, there’s more…. (gah Heather loves saying that). The monthly subscription comes with a high quality video of how to make the dish. No more reading through clunky recipes trying to figure it out, spicy chef Pete walks you through it step by step in a fun video. Nice, right? Anyway, Heather is super stoked to be a part of the founding team for this company and she’s going to be hanging up her Blog Beautifying Hat and putting on her Entrepreneurial Let’s Make This The Best Spice Company Around hat. Phew…that’s a mouthful. So bare with
me Heather as she empties one full plate and brings in another that’s heaped twice as a high.
Ok, enough of that third person stuff. I will do my best to keep the yumminess coming on Farmgirl Gourmet. I have a lonnnnnng list of recipes on my white board just waiting to be made, photographed and eaten. Here’s a recipe for a quick bar that is filled with puffed brown rice, oats, sunflower seeds, sweet dried cranberries and dipped in dark chocolate. NOM!
A quick recipe for puffed brown rice bars mixed with oats, seeds and dried cranberries.
- 4 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 5 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the first 4 ingredients (puffed rice through sunflower seeds) to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir to coat with melted butter. When the marshmallows have melted, remove from the heat and pour in the rice and oat mixture. Stir well to combine. Pour in to prepared baking dish and press the mixture firmly using a small piece of waxed paper, parchment paper or the wrapper from the butter. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 18 bars.
- Melt chocolate on top of a double boiler simmering over medium-low heat. When the chocolate has melted completely, remove from the heat and dip the bottom of each bar in the chocolate and place on a piece of parchment paper. Allow chocolate to harden for 30 minutes and then enjoy.