Texas Caviar

Texas Caviar via farmgirlgourmet.com

Super Bowl XLVII is fast approaching and if you’re still looking for some inspiration, this quick and tasty salsa will have your guests camping out on the bowl.  It’s addicting, somewhat healthy and did I mention addicting?  Ya, it’s really addicting.  And it’s calling my name from the fridge as I type.

Texas Caviar -  via farmgirlgourmet.com

This is the first Super Bowl that we are not going to be home enjoying the game from our family room with a giant table full of goodies.  I usually plan for weeks in advance and the kids decorate with drawings and streamers, but this year we are heading across the street to the neighbors.  It’s the second year they invited us to join them and I figured it’s time we spread our Super Bowl wings and live a little outside the Farmgirl Headquarters box.  Just because I won’t be home whipping up a zillion different goodies doesn’t mean I won’t have at least 1 or 3 things in my arms on the trek across the street this Sunday.  One of the things will definitely be this Texas Caviar.  It’s simple to make, it’s loaded with veggies and the best part…you get to eat tortilla chips with it.  Have I mentioned I love tortilla chips?  My favorite kind is Juanita’s from Hood River, OR.  I can’t pass them in the market without tossing in a bag.  What’s your fave?  I’m all ears.

I’m still unsure what else I will be bringing to the party this weekend, but I bet I can find some inspiration from some of my favorite bloggers.  Check out their roundups after this recipe.

Texas Caviar

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 8-12 servings

Texas Caviar

Texas caviar is an easy recipe that's a real crowd pleaser. It makes a fair amount so halve if you don't plan on feeding 8-12 people.

• 3 cups black eyed peas (from rehydrated dry beans or canned that have been rinsed well) or you could use black beans, such as Bush's Black Beans
  • 2 cups corn, fresh or defrosted frozen
  • 2 cups jicama, diced small
  • 1 cup red onion, minced
  • 1 medium red pepper, seeded, stemed and diced small
  • 1 medium plum tomato, cored, diced
  • 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and minced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 3 scallions, sliced thin
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • juice of half a lime

1. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate an hour or more. Serve with lots of corn tortilla chips.

Super Bowl Recipe Roundups from my fave Food Bloggers

Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday!!

Join Aggie’s Kitchen and Real Mom Kitchen and share a family favorite Winter Comfort Food recipe for the Bush’s Beans Recipe Exchange!

Mary Kay Bowe
    January 18, 2015 at 5:29 am

I made your Texas Caviar in my Bean Pot and keep it in the fridge…Just scoop a bowl to go for work! Best with Fiesta Scoops! Yummy…*

Texas Caviar Chicken and Refried Beans | bitesbybrandi
    July 10, 2013 at 8:26 am

[…] I made a Mexican inspired dish with my own play off of Texas caviar. If you aren’t familiar with Texas caviar, you can find the traditional recipe here. […]

Noble Pig - Cathy Pollak
    January 31, 2013 at 10:14 am

I love a dish like this…makes the chips seem less guilty to eat with this in between.

Milisa Armstrong
    January 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm

This looks wonderful! I’m not sure what kind of southerner I really am, I’ve never tried it!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife
    January 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm

This just looks fantastic!

EA Stewart
    January 29, 2013 at 10:15 pm

How did I live in Texas all those years and never try Texas Caviar? Looks delicious and I can totally see this becoming addictive! Thanks so much for sharing my Super Bowl recipe round-up Heather! Since I’m not rooting for any particular team, I hope your team wins 🙂

January 29, 2013 at 2:03 pm

This is one of my all-time favorite dips!! I could eat it by the spoonful!

Christine McCarthy (@OatmealBowl)
    January 29, 2013 at 10:16 am

I so needed to add Texas Caviar to my list! Totally forgot, yet its something I have been wanting to make. Thanks for including me in the round up!

Terri Stanfield
    January 29, 2013 at 8:41 am

I make one that is very similar, but I add a whole cubed avocado . . . yum!

January 29, 2013 at 8:43 am

I contemplated adding avocado too. I bet that’s tasty!

Jeanette's Healthy Living
    January 29, 2013 at 5:23 am

I first had Texas Caviar a few years back when a friend brought it to a party – love it, and so healthy too for Super Bowl! Thanks so much for sharing my Healthy Chili Roundup!

January 29, 2013 at 8:53 am

You’re welcome Jeanette! I was reading through and now I have a serious craving for chili!! 🙂 I am now a huge fan of Texas Caviar too. I saw it at Costco and figured I could recreate it at home. It was my first time eating/making it and I’m hooked. Thanks for commenting!

Barbara Schieving
    January 29, 2013 at 4:42 am

It looks fantastic. Love eating my veggies with a chip. Thanks for including my roundup link.

January 29, 2013 at 9:11 am

It kind of negates the purpose of the veggies….but it was worth every calorie. 🙂 You’re welcome. It’s a fantastic roundup!!