Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Apple & Orange

It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving will be here in a little over a week!  I think I’m stuck in Summer Time Zone.  Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely looking forward to having my Dad and wonderful friends over for an all day feast and to the day after Thanksgiving when the only thing that will do are my biggest and baggiest sweat pants and a turkey sandwich.  You know what I’m talking about, right?  Anyway, I am starting my feast a little early in hopes of sharing some ideas with you as to what you could put on your Thanksgiving Table.

Today we’re starting with Cranberry Sauce.  I’m not talking the kind with the permanent rings on the side of the log.  Or the fancy shmancy molded kind like the Turkey Shaped Cranberry Sauce in this months issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine!  (sorry Martha)

No, what I’m talking about is easy to make in 20 minutes, will store for a few days in the fridge so you don’t have to make it the day of.  Tastes fantastic and is not too sweet and not too sour and will make a great accompaniment to your roast Beast!  And don’t forget as a good shmear for your day after sweat pant wearing turkey sandwich eating day.

Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Apple & Orange

1 cup orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
Zest of 1 orange
1 red apple, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 10 oz package fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
pinch of kosher salt

1 In a medium sauce pan over high heat, add all ingredients.  Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium and stir occasionally for 15 minutes, or until the cranberries have burst and the mixture has began to thicken.

2 Remove from heat and let cool before serving.  Can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

Makes Approximately 2 Cups

Previous Post: Sticky Cinnamon Scrolls and a Cookbook Giveaway

Homemade Fresh Cranberry Juice - Farmgirl Gourmet
    October 11, 2015 at 10:19 pm

[…] a bag, which to the naked eye, didn’t even make a dent in its contents.  So I made the cranberry sauce and tossed the rest of the berries back in the fridge.  I really had no idea what I was […]

Farmgirl Gourmet Rosemary Whole Wheat Stuffing with Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms - Farmgirl Gourmet
    November 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

[…] minutes.  Remove and serve immediately.Makes 6-8 ServingsMore Thanksgiving Inspired Recipes….Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Apple & OrangePumpkin Coconut Panna Cotta with Gingered Pecans & Bourbon […]

Denton Den
    November 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Silly question… Just how much is the zest of one orange? 🙂 Yes, I’m new and this is a serious question!

Can’t wait to make it, but don’t want to ruin it!

Johnny Senise
      November 25, 2013 at 9:25 am

im gonna make the spiced cranberry sauce w/ apple n orange, if I want 8 cups do I simply just x4 the ingredients?

November 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Yes. Exactly. Enjoy.

Johnny Senise
          November 26, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thank you so much! Wishing you, family n friends happiness, health n the best of times this holiday season n each n every day that follows! ;^ )))))

Denton Den
    November 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl
    November 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm

MMm… there is all this cranberry going around on the web because of the holiday. I am in virtual lala land. Thank you for offering a part of that experience. 🙂

Feast on the Cheap
    November 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Yum! Reminds me of the cranberry chutney my mom made for years at Thanksgiving. We never appreciated it as kiddos – always clambered for the canned stuff – but now that me and my brothers are all grown up, this is the stuff that runs out. Can’t wait for Turkey Day!

Divya Yadava
    November 15, 2011 at 11:43 am

Sounds lovely! I like the use of spices and the orange to bring out some interesting flavours – delish!

November 15, 2011 at 8:08 am

Mmmm…I can already taste that turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce. And this spiced version sounds even better.

November 15, 2011 at 6:16 am

I have one I make with cranberries and raspberries, but this sounds delicious too. Love the idea of adding cloves and cinnamon.

November 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Oh my….time to get the cranberries out of the fridge…I just can’t wait another week!!!!

November 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Love this easy and simple and delicious sounding sauce. I love the spices you added. (Hey, I am all about those baggy sweatpants and leftover turkey sandwiches!)