Rosemary Fig Jam

I don’t know about you, but it’s virtually impossible for me to pass by a container of figs at the market and not buy them.  Costco has had them now for the past few weeks.  Well, my Costco at least.  Anyway, you know how Costco is.  Gigantic size everything….including containers of figs.  So, in an effort to not have a pile of furry figs, I decided to make some jam.

I made up some bruschetta by brushing baguette slices with olive oil and rubbing them with fresh garlic and toasting in the oven for about 5 minutes.  Then I smeared some chevre (goat cheese) and a dollop of Rosemary Fig Jam and LOOK OUT!  I had a hard time stopping….it’s that tasty…..and Easy!!  Here’s the recipe….

Rosemay Fig Jam
[print]

5 cups figs, stemmed and cut into 1/2 inch dice
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup Port Wine or Merlot
2 Rosemary sprigs
1 lemon, zested
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
1 In a medium saucepan add the diced figs and sugar.  Allow to macerate for 20 minutes.  Add the wine, rosemary sprigs, lemon zet and salt and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture becomes thick like jam.  Discard the rosemary sprigs

2 Prepare 3 – 1/2 pint canning jars and fill with the hot jam mixture.  Place lids and bands on and process in a water bath for 15 minutes.  Allow to cool on a kitchen towel and check for proper sealing.

Makes 3 – 1/2 pint jars

Monica
    July 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I made this tonight and it is fantastic. I want to pick more figs and make it for Christmas gifts. I did add a little bit of pectin because it was not thickening well. Made several other batches with different recipes, and this was by far the best. Thanks!

Sue S.
    June 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

I am so excited. I have a lovely rosemary bed and two fig trees that never fail to produce! I have been looking for another jam recipe–rhubarb and rosemary is divine–and this is absolutely perfect. Thank you!

Carolyn
    October 28, 2011 at 3:37 am

Ooo, I bet the rosemary really gives it a whole new flavour!

Megan
    October 21, 2011 at 6:57 am

I have the same problem with figs! I really need to get a tree of my own to help curb this problem 😉 Beautiful jam!

Diane {Created by Diane}
    October 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

looks great!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
    October 20, 2011 at 6:49 am

Would it be inappropriate if I say… I love you?!?

Eliotseats
    October 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I am envious of anyone who can get fresh figs. I see so many great fig recipes, but alas, I have no fig purveyor! 🙂

Priscilla - She's Cookin'
    October 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

I’m with Barb – love it all! Always love fig jam, but the rosemary and port/red wine make this doubly delicious.

Ann
    October 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm

This is amazing! I LOVE rosemary and figs together….I’ve had them in appetizers, but never thought about a jam! Brilliant!

Baker Street
    October 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

love the pictures! and love the pairing of figs and rosemary!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    October 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I’m the same way, I can’t pass up fresh figs when I see them either.

Cake Duchess
    October 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I just looked in my fridge and thought, time for another fig cake. Now I know what I will make instead. Your jam looks fantastic! I’d love one of your baguette slices right now as a snack:)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen
    October 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Sounds amazing! Do you think it could be made with dried figs? Fresh are pretty hard to come by here.

Terra
    October 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Rosemary and Figs? I love it! I am such a lover of rosemary, such a gorgeous herb:-) Your jam looks wonderful:-) Hugs, Terra

foodie @ Tasting Spot
    October 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it’s for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

Barbara | Creative Culinary
    October 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I love everything…the toasts, the jam, the goat cheese and yes, the Costco. 🙂

Fuji Mama
    October 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I am a complete sucker for anything fig, but the fact that you added rosemary into the fix has me drooling!!!

Nelly Rodriguez
    October 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Love this combination of flavors, must try soon! Is it weird I’d totally eat this on scrambled eggs and toast? I like the sweet/savory combination!

EA-The Spicy RD
    October 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’m not a huge fan of figs, but fig jam, YES!!! Especially with goat cheese. Super yummy! Love your fun Halloween blog theme too! Very fun 🙂

Jeanette
    October 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yum, this sounds so good – something you would never find in a supermarket. Love the flavor combination.

diabeticFoodie
    October 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! This sounds amazing! I have been gorging on no-sugar-added fig preserves and goat cheese smeared on melba toast lately. I can’t get enough of it. There are two things that grow with no effort whatsoever where I live – figs and rosemary. Our fig tree was absolutely loaded until Hurricane Irene 🙁

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray
    October 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm

This sounds delicious!

tori
    October 17, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Such beautiful photos- and such a gorgeous recipe- perfect for this time of year. Our markets in London (Borough) were full of figs on the weekend. I bought a whole bunch to make a cheesecake with amaretti cookies- but I think this is a much nicer idea. Will try next weekend. Thank you!