This recipe for Warm Potato Salad with Sausage & Cotija sounds like a mouthful, but let me assure you, it will definitely be that…putting big spoonfuls in your mouth. It’s so delicious and is just as great served cold.
Summer is upon us and my garden is busting with vegetables, especially potatoes in red and gold. I recently had some foodie inspiration from the popular food show ABC’s The Chew where Carla prepared a warm potato salad using fresh herbs, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You can watch the snippet below.
I make warm potato salad on my barbecue all summer long, but this recipe was a little different with the tangy dressing. I knew I had to make something similar. I added browned sausage and added a bit of sweetness by caramelizing some onions. Soft tang comes from the Cotija cheese (a Mexican farmers cheese) and it’s all melded with a bunch of fresh herbs snipped from the garden and a quick vinaigrette of balsamic & olive oil. All that’s missing here are forks and hungry mouths. According to my 15 year old, this “needs” to be my new go-to potato salad. Guess what? It’s even better the next day.
Warm Potato Salad with Sausage & Cotija
- 1 ½ pounds red potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ pound ground sausage crumbled1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 ounces Cotija cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- In a medium saute pan brown the sausage until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add butter to saute pan used for sausage and add the onions. Turn down to medium and cook until caramelized and turning light brown. Add to the sausage and add potatoes.
- In a small mason jar add the mayonnaise, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and herbs. Shake to combine. Pour over warm potato mixture and season with salt and pepper. Add the cotija cheese and toss lightly to coat. Serve immediately.
I’m always looking for new ways to spice up my Summer dishes, and ABC’s The Chew serves up everything from grilling and outdoor entertaining to road trips and picnics. Watch weekdays 1e|12p|c on ABC to see what celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Michael Symon, and Carla Hall, lifestyle expert Clinton Kelly and fresh face of healthy living Daphne Oz are dishing out to inspire you this Summer.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of ABC’s The Chew. The opinions and text are all mine.