I am so excited to be a part of the Kitchen PLAY and Knuckle Salad Munch Madness challenge that’s sponsored by US Potatoes – did you see the awesome badge on my sidebar? This challenge is all about potatoes where 8 food bloggers will create healthy, light recipes, perfect for spring and then the fun part begins. Those 8 recipes will go through a “March Madness” type bracketing playoff (see the infographic below) and one foodie will rein supreme.
As soon as spring weather hits, I am all about warm potato salads using my barbecue wok, but since it’s still pretty cold out, I roasted the veggies in the oven instead. I used a bag of mixed fingerling potatoes, acorn squash and spinach & arugula mix. Tossed in some reduced fat feta cheese, fresh herbs, some heart healthy olive oil and a large pinch of red pepper flakes and the end result was a healthy side or lunch salad.
Potatoes have gotten a bad rep over the years as being a good for nothing starch, but did you know that one medium potato has more potassium then bananas, spinach or even broccoli? It’s true! See other great potato facts at http://www.potatogoodness.com/nutrition.
Warm Potato & Acorn Squash Salad
- 1 28 ounce bag mixed fingerling potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ Acorn squash peeled, seeds removed and diced
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves only
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large handful spinach & arugula mix or one or the other
- ¼ cup reduced-fat feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a large baking dish and add the potatoes, squash, rosemary, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and remaining olive oil. Toss lightly to coat. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the potatoes, spinach/arugula mix and feta. Toss lightly to combine. Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This was a sponsored post by Kitchen PLAY & the US Potato Board. All opinions are my own.