In the hustle and bustle of life, sometimes it’s all you can do to toss a bottle of ketchup on the table when you’re making burgers, let alone slicing and dicing a bunch of toppings. This recipe is quick and the onions come out sweet and only have heat from the arbol chile pods and the black peppercorns and not from a raw onion. Use them to top a burger, grilled chicken or dice them up to garnish your hot dogs.
Start out with the quick pickling mixture. To a clean jar add in the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, salt and aromatics. Here are some options to choose from, pick one or many:
- Black Peppercorns
- Arbol Chile Pods
- Smashed Fresh Garlic
- Juniper Berries
- Chili Flakes
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fennel Seed
Like other aromatics like thyme, sage, jalapeno? Go crazy and add whatever flips your skirt! Just keep the first 4 ingredients the same and you will have delicious pickled red onions no matter what you do.
Now that it’s loaded with flavors, add in one peeled and sliced red onion and let the spices, cider and onions get to know each other. The acid in the vinegar will mellow the heat of the onion and give them a sweet and spiced flavor that’s amazing on top of a burger or pulled pork sammie.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 20 black peppercorns
- 1 arbol chile pod
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- To a 16 ounce jar, or medium bowl, add the water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, chile and garlic. Stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Add the red onion slices and set aside for 15-20 minutes. Longer, if desired. Serve on your favorite burger.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week if not using right away.