Beef Stroganoff – Hamburger Helper Style

Beef Stroganoff via farmgirlgourmet.com

I took a poll on Facebook asking what you wanted to see for an upcoming post.  It was a evident that you all wanted some homemade Hamburger Helper style Beef Stroganoff.  I’m a giver, so here I am…serving it up!

Hamburger Helper Style Beef Stroganoff from farmgirlgourmet.com

This recipe is so easy to make.  I based if off my recipe for original Hamburger Helper with a few tweaks.  One bite from the Hubs and he was in HH heaven…..again.  That man likes his hamburger helper.

Beef Stroganoff from farmgirlgourmet.com

I tossed in a few mushrooms because I happen to like them.  If you want to keep it original, then just omit them.  I won’t call the Mushroom Council and tattle on you.  Swear.

Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper Style - farmgirlgourmet.com

This collage was swapped…add the beef stock and milk then the spices.  🙂  Someone needs to fire the QA lady.  Or give her more java.

Beef Stroganoff via farmgirlgourmet.com

Cover and let that baby simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is done to your liking.  Last, add in the sour cream and ring the dinner bell.

Beef Stroganoff – Hamburger Helper Style

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 4 Servings

Beef Stroganoff – Hamburger Helper Style

A quick family-pleaser made in one pot. No need to buy the boxed stuff ever again. It's easy to make from scratch!

• 4 large mushrooms
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 8 ounces wide egg noodles
  • 2 cups milk (I used fat free)
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water (or beef stock)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Better than Bouillon Beef Base (omit if using pre made beef stock)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch or flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 2/3 cup sour cream (I used light)

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and brown the mushrooms. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
  2. Add the ground beef and brown. Discard all but 1 teaspoon of fat. Bring back to medium high heat and add the noodles, milk, beef stock, mushrooms, cornstarch, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir to combine and cover. Lower the heat to medium and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked through.
  3. Add the sour cream and simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.

Beef Stroganoff via farmgirlgourmet.com

Homemade Hamburger Helper - Farmgirl Gourmet
    September 14, 2016 at 9:17 pm

[…] Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper Style […]

Virginia
    October 27, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I have to tell you I’ve never had any hamburger helper at all. I was looking for a recipe for ground beef stroganoff that didn’t include canned soup or packaged gravy mixes. I had all the ingredients for your recipe so gave it a whirl. It is delicious! I may halve the recipe next time as I live alone, but I will use all the mushrooms!

Mike
    October 21, 2015 at 7:35 am

This was amazing. I’ll be keeping this delicious recipe.

Dan
    June 8, 2015 at 11:46 am

Can you use beef broth instead of beef stock

Beef Stroganoff Hamburger (Lord)HelpMe Style |
    May 22, 2015 at 4:31 pm

[…] is our homemade Hamburger Helper, inspired by a wonderful recipe that found us while we were hungry at the market. NEVER SHOP […]

Katie
    March 25, 2015 at 8:46 am

I can not find the amount of noodles mentioned without having to split up a bag. Could you help me by guesstimating about how many cups of noodles (uncooked) you would use? I can only buy them in a large bag at my stores. Thank you!

March 25, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Hi Katie, about 2 cups of dry noodles should equal 8 ounces. Hope that helps!! Thanks for stopping by.

Melissa
    March 17, 2015 at 6:32 pm

This was amazing! I did not have sour cream on hand, so I mixed evaporated milk with some vinegar for a substitute. I also added parsley and much more pepper than called for, plus garlic salt. In addition I added dried onion soup to the hamburger while browning it was delicious! Thank you! I don’t know if I’ll buy store bought again!

Camille
    February 24, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I am so making this tonight!! Question though, if you use beef broth instead of BTB, how much do you need to use?

Thanksl!

Libby
    February 12, 2015 at 1:39 am

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I loved HH as a kid but haven’t had it since moving to Europe over 10 years ago. Made this last night (quick and easy, I might add) and was transported back to a happy place!!! How did you ever get this so on the mark?! and with such simple ingredients!?! Can’t wait to have the leftovers tonight!! 🙂

John
    January 31, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Greetings from Japan ! We bought the original Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff in Hawaii last year when on the Big Island and loved it . Not sold here in Japan so I did a Google search and found your recipe . LOVE it . We make it once a month . Thanks so much for sharing !

Cassie
    October 19, 2014 at 10:29 am

Do u cook the noodles before u add them ?

Ashley
    September 22, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I didn’t have sour cream on hand but used herd and garlic cream cheese instead and it tasted amazing!! Will use a bit more flour next time though it was a bit to runny for my liking.

Robin
    September 19, 2014 at 11:25 am

I also grew up eating HH, and my fav was always the stroganoff. As an adult, I discovered I was allergic to dairy so I stopped eating all kinds of tasty things until I learned to be brave and try substituting. I have been using the recipe for a while now and I just wanted to let everyone know that it is just as wonderful made dairy free. I use Almond Milk (unsweetened, plain) in place of milk and I use Tofutti’s Sour Supreme in place of sour cream. It’s still completely delicious and creamy and wonderful. Thanks for the great recipe!

Copycat Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff | Sweets 'N Supper
    September 13, 2014 at 12:31 pm

[…] *Recipe adapted from Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Ashley
      October 13, 2014 at 10:02 am

I love love love Hamburger Helper Stroganoff but am trying to eat organic and homemade. I was so excited to see this recipe and with the Better than Beef Bouillon Base so I wouldn’t have to adapt the recipe to use this instead of regular bouillon which I tend to not have on hand. This recipe was absolutely perfect even though I used almond milk. I can’t wait to make this for my kids (away at college), they don’t usually like homemade versions of old favorites but I think they’ll like this one!

Ann
    August 15, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Made this tonight. Used sliced mushrooms, some homegrown garlic, chopped, and my canned beef stock Terrific. My husband loved that I came up with a meal in about 40 minutes. Had steamed broccoli and fresh sliced tomatoes. It was a hit. Thanks!

Lexi
    July 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

YES! I have a soft spot for HH beef stroganoff but my husband abhors anything that comes from a box. This was spot on in terms of flavor for me and sans box made it husband friendly. My 2.5 yr old also polished her bowl.

The only thing I did differently was to add a full 14.5oz can of beef broth since I used 12 oz of noodles and not 8 (that’s what I had on hand). I did up the spices too to compensate for the additional liquid. This is definitely going into the recipe rotation – thanks for sharing!

John B
    July 11, 2014 at 1:02 am

Back in March said we were going to try this recipe and we did . Superb ! We make it once a month and tonight is the night ! Thank so ver much for sharing this recipe . Can’t buy Hamburger Helper in Japan , and this is even better anyway ! Domo !

Amber
    May 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Just made this tonight and the whole family loved it! Hubby was hovering over the stove “sampling” it as it was cooking-he’s a big fan!

Bobbie
    May 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I don’t eat beef and have always sustituted ground turkey,.coyld I use chicken broth instead of beef broth?

Sylina
    March 6, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Would it still be good if I didn’t use the sour cream?

John B
    March 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Greets from Japan ! Just yesterday used the last box of HH beef stroganoff that we brought back from a Hawaiian vacation , so searched the web for a similar recipe . Found yours which I will try soon . Thanks for sharing !

Cindy Stellar
    February 24, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Wonderful recipe, Heather! Great balance of ingredients, super flavor and so terrific to be able to make it in one pot. My husband loves it – it’s a keeper/

theresanamehere
    January 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Thank you for this! HH’s beef stroganoff has long been my one boxed-food weakness. I’ve been trying for years to find a good recipe, but nothing ever seemed quite right.

I did make a few additions .. some onion, garlic, worcestershire sauce and ground mustard.

It was delish!

Annette
    December 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Great recipe!!! I just made it and it was delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Krystal
    October 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm

This was delicious! Tastes almost identical to HH. I love that it only has about a third of the sodium that HH does and that is adjustable, depending on if you use stock, water or bouillon. I used Campbell’s “Simply Stock” beef stock. My husband loved this too and he isn’t a big fan of HH. I am the salt box junkie in the house.

This was no more difficult to put together than a box of HH. I put everything together in a big measuring cup (I liquified the cornstarch before adding it) then blended it with my hand mixer for a second to unclump the paprika and pepper.

Thanks for the recipe! Love it!

October 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Krystal. It’s a great go-to-dinner when you’re running short on time. You can also portion out the pasta and spices and put in a ziptop bag and toss in the cupboard to make it even faster. 🙂 Thanks for commenting!!! ~heather

Krystal
        July 7, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I made this again for dinner tonight using chicken broth instead of beef and I added about 1/4 tsp of onion powder… It was even better. The onion powder just gave it that little extra something., Definitely recommend trying it.

I was out of beef broth so I was happy to find that chicken worked just as well.

Bradley Sugg
      April 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

To reduce sodium further, use Herb Ox sodium free broth mix.

Megan
    October 2, 2013 at 9:11 am

In the photo next to the one with the ground beef, is that the Better Than Bouillon Beef mixed with water or something else? Did you add that ingredient plus the beef broth?

October 3, 2013 at 10:21 am

I use better than bouillon to make beef broth. You can use premade beef stock, BTB or whatever type of broth you like. I just like using BTB because I can control the strength. Hope that helps. 🙂

maria
    September 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm

WOW!!!! This is great….quick, easy and delish!!!!! Thank you for this great recipe. I was a little scared to try it at first because I really don’t like HH (due to the fact that it’s all my mother could cook) but I wanted to try a stroganoff dish and this was perfect.

Danielle Parsons
    September 18, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Never had hamburger helper, but made this for a quick dinner tonight which was fast, easy and delicious! The butcher asked what I was doing with the ground beef, so I told him your recipe. He said sounded delicious! And also suggested a can of cream of mushroom soup? I didn’t know who to follow, but I added it for the fun of it, in addition to your ingredients and instructions. Was a big hit! Fast, easy and tastes great during a busy week! Thank you!
    Danielle

Mrs.marez
    September 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Second tme making this recipe my whole family loves it my husband is picky so im glad he liked it 😀

Kristina
    August 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm

What should I use or combined if out of paprika?

August 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

You can skip the paprika if you’re out. Let me know what you thought. Heather

Sandy
    August 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

My daughter is a huge Hamburger Helper fan so I made this recipe and it was a hit!!!! Thank you for sharing 🙂

sheri
    August 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm

looks good and smells good cooking right now!!! so simple to make and you can add different things,

Susan
    July 30, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I bought a container of plain greek yogurt by mistake. Do you think I could subsitute it for the sour cream? I have never tried to cook with it before. ???

July 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I bet it would be great. I love using yogurt in place of sour cream. I’d do it if I were you! 🙂 Let me know how it turns out. ~heather

Joy Andrews
    July 12, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The recipe says 4 servings but it’s more like 8! Me and my daughter ate it the night I made it then I took the leftovers to my parents house and the 4 of us ate again and there was still some left! My dad told my mom to be sure she got that recipe…sure sign of a winning recipe!! Very easy and delicious!

Jen
    June 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I just made this tonight for my family and it was a big hit! Even my picky 5 yr. old (who turned up her nose at it at first sight) cleaned her plate after she actually tried it! Now that is HUGE! Thanks for the recipe and this will be my ‘go to’ stroganoff recipe from now on. Love that I can make HH stroganoff from scratch! I’m so glad I found your blog. I can’t wait to try some of your other recipes too!

June 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

5 year old picky eaters are the best compliments EVER! Tell her I said HI. I’m so glad you found me too. Did you check out the HH Original? It’s just as good. My kids beg for all of the time. Thank you for commenting. You totally made my day!

Jen
        June 13, 2013 at 10:53 am

I did find the other HH recipe last night and plan on making it soon! You’re so welcome and glad I made your day 🙂 I’m also going to attempt the pretzel rolls. I’ve never made bread before but I’m going to try. I love to try new recipes and challenge myself in the kitchen.

June 13, 2013 at 11:40 am

That’s awesome. I was just thinking about the Pretzel rolls this morning and how I should make them today. Being a food blogger has it’s challenges…you have to create new content all of the time so revisiting old content is sometimes hard to do! But those pretzel rolls are keepers for the “again and again” file. 🙂 Have a super weekend!!!

• Jen
            June 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

You too! The sun is shining here today (finally) and there’s no rain in the forecast for a few days. It shall be a VERY good weekend :)!

jimenex
    May 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I have been looking for a good stroganoff dish and i have finally found it. Thanks for sharing

May 20, 2013 at 4:15 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Jimenex. It’s my husbands fave for sure! 🙂 Thanks for commenting, I appreciate hearing that my recipes are enjoyed! ~heather

Alana yacus
    March 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I made this tonight and my husband and I loved it. Made us both reflect to our childhood. I added more mushrooms ( we love them ) and used a package mix for beef garlic gravy for steaks, since I did not have any beef base. I did use beef stock rather than water. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

March 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Alana. Funny thing is…I never ever craved the HH stuff…but now I do. Well the homemade version. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it. I love comments like this – makes my day!! xo ~H

Shaina Olmanson (@FoodforMyFamily)
    March 5, 2013 at 10:44 am

I love beef stroganoff, and using hamburger would help me get through the dozens of packages in my freezer from our cow. (I learned we don’t eat a lot of hamburger after we bought a 1/4 cow last year and then still had it when it came time for the next 1/4, so I’m on the lookout for ways I enjoy eating it.)

Katie
    March 5, 2013 at 10:20 am

I didn’t see where to put the milk so I whisked the milk, flour and I used fage instead of sour cream, together.

March 8, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hi Katie, Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I have updated the recipe to reflect my milk omission. Oops. It goes in the same time as the chicken stock. Sorry for taking so long to respond.

xo – Heather

Angela
    March 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I was not sure when to add the 2 cups of milk so I did it behind the broth. Hope this turns out well.

March 8, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hi Angela, I have updated the recipe. Sorry for the confusion. It goes in the same time as the beef stock. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

xo – Heather

Kelly
    March 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Where does the milk come into play that’s written into the ingredient list?

March 8, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi Kelly, the milk goes in at the same time as the beef stock. Sorry for the confusion, I accidentally omitted that portion of the recipe, but it is updated now. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Heather 🙂

Angie
    February 26, 2013 at 10:46 am

Cute idea! I love how easy it is!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles
    February 25, 2013 at 8:00 pm

This has my husband written all over it. And I’d surely help him eat it! Looks delish, Heather!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife
    February 22, 2013 at 4:59 pm

So comforting and I’m sure completely delish!

Milisa Armstrong
    February 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm

This looks so good! I love beef stroganoff and making it with ground beef is right up my alley!

Tara @ Unsophisticook
    February 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm

This looks like the perfect comfort food for this icy day!

Cassie Laemmli (@BakeYourDay)
    February 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I love this, Heather. I grew up on HH and much prefer a homemade version!

February 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm

My husband is in all kinds of happy places because of this and the other HH recipe on my site. Too funny. it’s not like I don’t make him good food, but he sure does love it when I make HH. Men! Thanks for commenting.