Homemade Pumpkin Spiced Latte

Being a food blogger is a fun, rewarding and delicious job.  We rarely eat the same meal twice around our house.  With that said, there are those rare recipes that you just can’t help but make over and over again.  Well, this Pumpkin Spiced Latte is just that (here’s the original post).  It’s so easy and doesn’t require starting your car and driving across town to the green colored coffee stand – where you will no doubt, drop $5 or more for a latte.

I made this recipe last Fall and it has since become my highest viewed post ever.  People pin it like crazy every day!  I didn’t want to change up a good thing too much, but I have updated the recipe a tad.

Here’s the ingredients: strong coffee (brewed in the coffee maker, French press or espresso machine), milk (any %), pumpkin puree from a can, sugar or sugar substitute  vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and some whipped cream on top!  You can even make the milk mixture ahead, pop it in the fridge in a sealed container and have it on hand for a quick latte in the morning.

This is what the original photo looked like.  Aside from my most amazing (and totally unavailable anywhere on the interwebs) red mugs, it’s not the best photo.  Coffee…as it turns out, is one of the hardest things to photograph.  If it had a tongue, it would be sticking out right now saying “neener neener, you’ll never take a good photo of me”.   I hope you enjoy this oldie but goodie.

Homemade Pumpkin Spiced Latte

Yield: Make 2 – 10 ounce latte’s

• 2 cups milk (any % you choose)
  • 4 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup strong coffee or espresso
  • canned whipped cream

1. Add the milk, pumpkin, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice to a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring almost to a boil, stirring constantly - if you allow it to boil it will get thick (yuck). Whisk the mixture until it starts to froth, about 1 minute. Divide milk mixture between two mugs. Add the coffee slowly down the side so you don’t disturb the milk froth, add a squirt of whipped cream and a pinch more of the pumpkin pie spice and enjoy.

NOTE: Keep a spoon on hand, because of the thick nature of pumpkin puree, you will want to stir the latte occasionally to keep it from getting thick at the bottom of your mug.

Another Note: To get a good thick froth, you can add COLD pumpkin mixture to a large glass mason jar. Cap and shake vigorously. When you have a good froth, REMOVE CAP and microwave the milk mixture to desired temperature. Never leave the cap on and do not shake a capped jar with hot liquid or you will get injured.

September 25, 2014 at 7:30 am

Should the vanilla extract portion actually be in tablespoons? That seems like quite a bit.

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte that is low calorie and sugar free.hiitsjen.com
    November 27, 2013 at 3:03 pm

[…] actual Pumpkin Spice Syrup Starbucks uses / Farmgirl Gourmet / BrokeAss […]

Tommy Llanes
    November 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

If websites were Gods and Goddesses during the Iron Age, this website would be Zeus.

November 18, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thank you so much, this is delicious! 🙂

Month of the Pumpkin | Yoga Then Chocolate
    November 16, 2013 at 10:46 am

[…] Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte (farmgirlgourmet.com) […]

Recipe & Review: Farm Girl Gourmet’s Pumpkin Spice Latte | BiblioJesso
    November 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm

[…] You can find this recipe here. […]

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte | chocolate & carrots
    November 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

[…] frantically searching the internet for a recipe, I came across Heather’s latte and knew I needed to make one for us. You know, you work quickly when your child only takes one […]

Thirsty Thursday PSL | Jolie Pagaille
    October 31, 2013 at 7:27 am

[…] my own damn PSL. After scouring the Internet and some slight modifications to a recipe that I found here, I created my own single serving recipe to my own liking. Most recipes seem to be made for 2 […]

October 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I’ve started just adding a little pumpkin pie spice mix to my french press in the morning. Super lazy, super delicious and 0 calories!

October 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I just made this with almond milk and lakanto!!! Pretty durn good!! Especially given that using those two ingrediants instead brought 1 cup down from 180 cal to 40!! —(Minus the whip cream on both) 🙂

October 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

WHAT? Oh my – that just made my Sunday!! Definitely going to give it a shot with almond milk. Thanks for the comment. Happy Sunday!

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon: The Prep! | The Whynott BlogThe Whynott Blog
    October 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm

[…] Googled for recipes and came across one that looks pretty good. It’s from the blog Farm Girl Gourmet and looks pretty easy. The recipe is for making two ten ounce lattes (HA!) so I’m going to […]

October 9, 2013 at 10:44 am

Am I the only one who thought the vanilla was way overpowering?? I was so looking forward to this recipe this morning, but I’m sorry, but it is not good! I followed the recipe exactly. Tastes like vanilla extract, not in a good way. What did I do wrong?

October 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Oh no, you’re the only person who’s mentioned this Emily. Maybe the type of vanilla? Not sure what went wrong, but I’m sorry it wasn’t a success for you. Maybe try again with half the vanilla? Thanks for sharing your comment.

Rebecca Moose
      October 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I made it with two teaspoons. Actually last time I made my espresso with mostly espresso but put a small scoop of vanilla coffee instead of extract. It was yummy.

September 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Although I’m a huge fan of pumpkin, in my 42 years I’ve never tried a pumpkin spiced latte, until just now! Just whipped up a cup using Almond Milk, and it was soooooooo good!!! So glad I came across your recipe!

Gingerbread pumpkin bars | Crosby's Molasses And MoreCrosby's Molasses And More
    September 30, 2013 at 10:25 am

[…] combo anyway. Too bad for them they don’t go with a natural sweetener like molasses. Here’s a recipe for a homemade version – just substitute molasses for the white […]

Angela Westra
    September 30, 2013 at 8:50 am

Do you think this would work with Soy Milk too?

September 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hi Angela, I am not very familiar with using soy milk in coffee drinks, so I am unsure how it will froth. Here’s an article on how to do it though: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7493934_can-froth-soy-milk.html Let me know how it works out!

Angela Westra
        September 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks I will let you know-I’m gonna try it out tonight!

Angela Westra
          October 1, 2013 at 6:16 am

Milk was way better. The soy milk definitely doesn’t froth as much and I even shook it. My friend who loves Starbucks (and usually gets the Pumpkin Spice Latte made with soymilk), thought it was great though!

Rebecca Williams
    September 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I had been dreaming of this and went to the store before reading the recipe. Will there be a huge difference is I use Libby’s pumpkin?

September 28, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Libby’s works just fine. Any canned pumpkin purée. Enjoy!!!

September 22, 2013 at 8:49 am

You just made my morning. That. Was. Awesome!!!!

Becca from ItsYummi.com
    September 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

My depths of love for this recipe are ALMOST as deep as the depth of my love for YOUUUUU <3

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte - Miss Sophisticate
    September 12, 2013 at 9:00 am

[…] Ingredients (adapted from Farmgirl Gourmet): […]

Nespresso Capsule System Giveaway - Cooking with Books
    August 11, 2013 at 4:56 am

[…] Pumpkin Spiced Latte by Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Best Recipes of 2012 - Farmgirl Gourmet
    December 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm

[…] Homemade Pumpkin Spiced Latte – so easy to make, I made it twice!  This is by far my most viewed recipe and for a good reason…you will never want to buy them at the latte stand again.  Click here to get the recipe! […]

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    November 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I can see why it’s a popular post, you are certainly giving Starbucks a run for their money with this one. Homemade always wins out!

November 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

I agree Sylvie. Homemade is always best. And adding real pumpkin puree and not the flavored stuff makes it even more decadent. Thanks for stopping by!! xo!

addie | culicurious
    November 4, 2012 at 10:02 am

This sounds so tasty 🙂 Definitely going to be making this!

Alysha @Shesontherun
    November 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I would love to curl up on the couch with this and an US Weekly 🙂

November 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

HA! Sounds like a perfect Sunday morning to me! 🙂

Farmgirl Gourmet Pumpkin Pie Spice - Farmgirl Gourmet
    November 2, 2012 at 12:01 am

[…] help myself but to post this quick recipe for you.  I keep a jar on hand for making a quick Pumpkin Spiced Latte or for a sprinkling into Applesauce Pancakes and of course adding to good ole Pumpkin Pie.  Make […]

Matt mmWine Horbund
    November 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

As always, your work is incredible. This looks delicious, easy to make, and of course, a lot more budget friendly. It leaves more money for wine!

November 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm

HA Matt…I like the way you think! 🙂 Mmmmm WINE.