Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies

When I think about a really good brownie, I think rich, ooey gooey, butter laden, high calorie, stick to my rear end, kinda brownies.  Don’t you?  Well, you don’t have to stare at the brownie longingly anymore, you can eat it.  These brownies are completely vegan delish even with no eggs, butter or oil.  Yep, I’m serious, not one stick of butter was harmed in the making of these moist brownies.  Don’t they look delish?

You’re probably asking yourself, “Self, how can they look so good and have none of the fattening stuff in them?”  Right?  Well, the secret is that they are made with black beans.  Wait wait wait….don’t leave!!  You can’t taste the black beans at all.  Honest!

I decided that since it’s almost St. Patrick’s Day, that I better kick up the brownies a tad bit with some stout beer.  They were moist, a bit stout flavored and overall quite good considering they contained no eggs or butter.  The kids taste tested them and they received 2 thumbs up!

UPDATE:  It’s been brought to my attention that touting Guinness as vegan would be inaccurate so I headed to the interwebs and Yep, Seth is 100% correct and I’m a little grossed out.  Here’s the info straight from Guinness…

Both beer and wine are sometimes processed using animal by-products including gelatin, casein, glycerin or in the case of Guinness – isinglass. Isingglass is a by-product of the fishing industry.

Guinness’s statement on the matter:All Guinness brands are free from animal matter.However, isinglass, which is a by-product of the fishing industry, is used as a fining agent for settling out suspended matter in the vat. The isinglass is retained in the floor of the vat but it is possible that minute quantities might be carried over into the beer.

I stand corrected!  But the brownies…well they don’t care if they’re vegan, vegetarian or what…they still rock.  My sincerest apologies to the Vegan Community for flaunting the brownies.  You can always substitute water for the beer with great results.  🙂

If you’re looking to lower your calories and fat, you should print this one out.  They don’t disappoint.

Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies
Dark chocolate brownies get a dose of St. Patrick’s Day with the edition of stout beer.  Completely tasty.
[print]

1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and filled with new water
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or all purpose
2 1/4 cups raw sugar
1 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
4 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup of stout beer, such as Guinness (or water)
1 cup nuts or chocolate chips, optional

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Drain a can of black beans and rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.  Return the black beans back to the can and fill with water.  Puree the beans and water.  Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, coffee power, salt and baking powder.  Add the black bean puree, vanilla and stout to the dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated.  Don’t over mix.
  4. Pour batter into a greased 9×13 pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan around halfway through. They should be almost firm in the center.
  5. Let brownies cool completely then cut into 24 squares.
Recipe adapted from NoMeatAthlete.com

natalie
    May 7, 2015 at 11:49 am

Made these 5/7/15 10:30am. Amazing! Don’t be scared, so delish!! Used an Alaskan Pumpkin porter, and (4tsp)fresh coffee ground to espresso grind, giradeli unsweetened cocoa. Can hardly wait for the hubs to get home and have one!!!

Tammy
    October 8, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Sorry. You lost me with the coffee. Upsets my stomach badly.

College, Black Beans, and Brownies | Life as a Fish out of Water
    September 10, 2014 at 8:55 pm

[…] Click here to see the original recipe! […]

102 Best Brownie Recipes Ever | The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen
    June 30, 2014 at 12:03 pm

[…] Farmgirl Gourmet’s Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies […]

Rodenial White
    April 1, 2014 at 7:50 pm

This is a great recipe! I just discovered a Coffee Oatmeal Stout by The Good People Brewing Company that I would like to use in this recipe. Not sure if it’s vegan or not though.

Wait
    November 29, 2013 at 6:53 am

There are plenty of vegan-friendly beer out there. Barnivore.com has an extensive list, including the ever delicious Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout.

Joseph
    November 10, 2013 at 5:48 pm

You can also try Boatswain Chocolate Stout which is vegan-friendly:

I’ve seen Boatswain Chocolate Stout at Trader Joe’s. I’ve also used Young’s Double Chocolate Stout as well with great results though I’m not sure if Young’s is vegan-friendly

Spilling the Beans - Radical Homestead
    October 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

[…] Guinness Black Bean Brownies – yes, that is right – beans, beer, and chocolate. Yes, I know you may be in shock right now. Beans, beer, and chocolate. Together. And it’s bloody delicious. […]

Joseph
    September 23, 2013 at 9:54 am

Brooklyn brand dry irish stout is vegan-friendly, they don’t use isinglass as a fining agent and instead they use a product called Biofine Clear as a fining agent. Only problem is that it seems to be available only seasonally.

Johnny
    July 9, 2013 at 3:11 am

The taste of these are amazing. However, the texture is like a rubbery sponge.

madgaterJoseph
      October 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

I just made them for a potluck and mine came out like rich, gooey, and oh so delicious candy shop fudge….in fact they were so rich I could only eat 2 of them before getting almost full LOL

in my bag ... summer picnic - K Flick Studio
    June 11, 2013 at 2:04 am

[…] bottle | fried chicken | macaroni salad | tote | melon | brownies | cocktail […]

Mick
    February 23, 2013 at 8:08 am

Love these! Have made them 2x and shared recipe w/many choc lovers. I cut the sugar to less than 2 c, but have frosted, with chocolate to get a good chocolate flavor. One of the batches I broke up a bar of Ikea dk choc (surprisingly not bad for the price), spaced them out on ‘fresh from the oven’ brownies, then spread–tooooo ez!

Ashley
    February 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I just made your brownies and I love them. I didn’t have instant coffee, so I substituted a cup of coffee leftover from this morning for the stout. I do want to warn those who might be thinking of making these brownies as a substitute for “regular” brownies: my husband was so excited for brownies the entire time they were in the oven and couldn’t wait for them to be done, then eagerly cut a piece out as soon as they came out, popped it into his mouth, made a disappointed face, and said, “Oh…they’re different….sugar free or something.” Like I said, I love them and they totally satisfy my chocolate craving, but people who aren’t into eating healthy food might not think as highly of them.

Best Recipes of 2012 - Farmgirl Gourmet
    December 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm

[…] Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies – this recipe still makes my mouth water.  It was one of those recipes I thought I’d just toss together and see what happened and the result blew us away.  Get the recipe. […]

Sarah @ Well Dined
    November 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

You are a genius! These were so good – thank you! I posted about them on my blog 🙂

100 Chocolate Recipes — Roxana's Home Baking
    October 28, 2012 at 9:40 am

[…] Dark Chocolate Stout Brownies at Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Elena Vo
    October 26, 2012 at 6:17 pm

MMM this recipe gave me chills! I love the fudgy consistency of black-bean based brownies and the bittersweet taste of Guinness. I am definetely pinning this!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking
    October 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Hi Heather,
    Just stopping by to let you know I’ve included your brownies in my 100 chocolate recipes round-up.

October 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm

That’s awesome!! Thank you so much! I have been meaning to make those brownies lately. 🙂 I’m off to check out your roundup!! Thanks again. xo ~Heather