Creamy Thai Chicken Chowder is a flavorful and easy soup that comes together quickly and is a crowd pleaser.
How to make Thai Chicken Chowder
Today was one of those days where I worked nonstop and didn’t even stop to think about what I was making for dinner. 6 o’clock came quick and it was scramble time to figure out what to put on the table for the hungry troops. Pizza was up first, but I didn’t have time to make my quick dough so that was quickly scrapped. Then the Hubs tossed out Tortilla Soup but I wasn’t in the Mexican frame of mind after 6 days of eating Mexican in Austin. Then it hit me – what about a creamy chicken soup with Thai flavors? Mmm, that sounded just right.
Ingredients in Creamy Thai Chicken Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken – store bought rotisserie chicken makes this recipe simple, but you can also substitute boiled chicken or leftover chicken.
- Coconut Milk – full fat coconut milk will make this soup extra creamy. My favorite coconut milk is Chaokoh Coconut Milk which you can buy on Amazon, most grocery stores or World Market typically has it.
- Corn & Carrots – you could add more veggies to this recipe with great success. Also using frozen vegetables in a pinch will work as well.
- Curry Paste – green curry paste has a nice rich flavor and works well with the creamy coconut milk.
- Rice Stick Noodles – I always have a bag of rice stick noodles (pad thai noodles) in my pantry for quick noodle salads, soups or making Pad Thai.
This is a super fast recipe for a creamy and Thai inspired chicken chowder. It’s on the table in less than 30 minutes and it will have you going back for seconds – if there are any.
Creamy Thai Chicken Chowder
- 1 rotisserie chicken found in the deli at the supermarket
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 13.5 ounce unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup carrots thinly sliced
- 1 cup rice stick noodles broken, Bahn Pho
- 1 ear corn husked, washed, kernels cut from cob (or 1 cup frozen corn)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons green curry paste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Remove and discard skin and bones from the chicken. Tear into bite-sized pieces and place in a large stockpot. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, carrots, rice noodles, corn kernels, soy sauce, green curry paste. kosher salt, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes, or until carrots are starting to turn tender.
- Ladle into bowls and add more cilantro, if desired.