Peppermint Bark Cups

by FarmgirlGourmet

Peppermint Bark Cups from farmgirlgourmet.com

This, my friends, is one of my all time favorite holiday goodies.  There’s something about the soft minty flavored dark chocolate ganache topped with crunchy bits of candy cane nestled in white chocolate.  I mean, seriously, does it get much better?  I think Santa would approve.  The recipe is super easy to make and these babies will disappear in a snap!

Peppermint Bark Cups

10 ounces dark chocolate chips
7 tbsp whipping cream
1 tsp peppermint extract
10 ounces white chocolate chips
6 candy canes, crushed into small bits (rolling pin and ziploc bag will help tremendously)

1. Place miniature paper liners on rimmed baking sheet.  Set aside.
  2. Heat a small saucepan with 1 inch of water over medium-low heat.  Add the dark chocolate chips, whipping cream & peppermint extract to a small metal bowl and place over the simmering water.  Allow to heat until the chips start to melt without stirring.  Once the chips look melted, remove the bowl from the pan and stir with a rubber spatula until combined.  Using a small hinged scoop, fill small paper baking liners half full with the dark chocolate mixture.  Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to set the chocolate.
  3. Heat the saucepan of water over medium-low heat again and add the white chocolate chips to a clean metal bowl and place over the simmering water.  Allow to melt without stirring.  Once the chips look melted and soft, remove the bowl from the pan and stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.  Using the small hinged scoop, top each of the dark chocolate cups with the white chocolate and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.  Allow to set in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
  4. Enjoy!

46 comments

Post: Yummy Christmas Recipes! August 19, 2015 - 11:11 am

[…] Peppermint Bark Cups by Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Bettina Walton December 22, 2014 - 3:08 pm

Found this recipe on pintrest. Made it in the microwave, and put the mixes into zip top baggies. Mixed them in the bags. Clipped the corner and piped the mix into the cups. When I was done the mess went into trash with very little clean up. Came out beautifully.

Tammy December 20, 2014 - 4:59 am

These were very tasty and a big hit for my work party. The only comment I have is that the differences in texture from the white to dark chocolate makes them a little hard to eat. If I make them again, I think I would add a little cream to the white chocolate as well to make it a little softer–like the dark layer. That way you could bite into them without it being SOOO hard.

Bonnie September 5, 2014 - 8:21 pm

Hey, these look divine! I found your recipe on pinterest but on another site with your name cropped out! I thought you should know as they don’t even link to you or give you credit. Not cool! http://recipestcookbook.com/peppermint-bark-cups/

Annette Ferrari December 21, 2013 - 9:24 am

I guess I am the only one with this question, I am confused about the whipping cream. Do I whip the heavy cream and then add it, or just add it as heavy cream?

FarmgirlGourmet December 22, 2013 - 9:48 am

It’s added to the chocolate which makes the chocolate truffle-like. Smooth and soft. Hope that helps.

ap December 14, 2013 - 8:52 pm

How long will these last in the fridge before serving? I am hoping to make them a few days ahead of Christmas time
Has anyone tried freezing them?

FarmgirlGourmet December 14, 2013 - 9:38 pm

They will totally last. Cover tightly or put in a sealed container. Warning: once you eat one you won’t be able to stop! 😉 enjoy!!!

Christmas Cheer in the Form of Noms and PJs | Quests of Quirkiness December 9, 2013 - 3:37 am

[…] 2)  Peppermint Bark Cups […]

Liz December 2, 2013 - 8:51 pm

Do you have an approximate yield per recipe? I’m making these for a holiday treat exchange and need to know how many recipes to make to get the approprate amount. Thanks!

FarmgirlGourmet December 5, 2013 - 1:09 pm

Hi Liz – so sorry for the delay in responding. I am going to have to guess as this recipe was from over a year ago. I am recalling that it made 2 dozen. Hope that’s helpful. They are addictive!!

Mary Lou November 13, 2013 - 4:22 pm

what do you mean by a hinged scoop?

FarmgirlGourmet November 13, 2013 - 9:12 pm

like the old time ice cream scoops where you push the lever to release the ice cream. They make them smaller that work great for measuring cupcake batter, cooking batter or for these peppermint bark cups. Hope that helps.

Maria December 24, 2012 - 6:20 pm

This is such a wonderful recipe! They taste amazinggg 🙂 I also have had trouble with the dark chocolate bottom setting. I’m leaving them in the fridge overnight and hopefully in the morning the bottoms will have set, if not I will toss them in the freezer for just a bit. I think one issue might be different refridgerators and their different temperatures and how much you open and close them… could make a difference?
I know my whole family has been in and out of the fridge with all of our other holiday cooking and whatnot. Dunno if it matters, but it might!

Thanks for an awesome treat! 🙂
Happy Christmas!!

Jena December 23, 2012 - 6:02 pm

My dark chocolate seemed very oily. Is that normal?

Peppermint Bark Cups December 19, 2012 - 5:29 pm

[…] Recipe Credit: Farmgirl Gourmet […]

Kendrea Kelly December 21, 2012 - 11:44 am

I am going to give these away as gifts for Christmas. Do you think they would be okay out of the fridge for a bit once they are made? I will be putting them in goodie boxes. Thanks!!

Dixie December 18, 2012 - 9:24 pm

Do you store them in the fridge or at room temp?

FarmgirlGourmet December 18, 2012 - 10:26 pm

Yes, fridge…until you want to serve then let them come to room temp a bit. The white chocolate is harder than the dark. You might want to add a bit of white choc to the bottoms, then the dark then the rest of the white. Some feedback from others who’ve made them. Hope you enjoy them! Happy Holidays!

Melissa T December 17, 2012 - 9:19 pm

I made these today and they were soooo simple 🙂 I used Chocolate and Vanilla Almond Bark instead of chips and they turned out great! I can not wait to take them to work tomorrow. I tagged you in my pinterest post of mine. Thank you, Merry Christmas!!

FarmgirlGourmet December 17, 2012 - 9:22 pm

Yay…so glad you enjoyed them. I am still sneaking one (or 2) a day. Merry Christmas to you too!!

Melissa December 18, 2012 - 2:20 pm

Mine came out soft on the bottom and hard on the top Im going to freeze them next time I make a batch. but everyone at work loved them!!! I kept them in the fridge over night so only exposure to warmer temps was my car heater on the drive 🙂 but thanks again!! sometimes it takes a few times to get just right. I melted the chocolate on the stovetop

Sara December 15, 2012 - 8:02 am

Do you think you could melt the cholcolate in the microwave?

FarmgirlGourmet December 15, 2012 - 10:59 am

Yes, I think you can definitely do that. Just go slow and not too high on the micro temp. Enjoy!!! 🙂

Sara December 17, 2012 - 6:16 pm

Ok, I made these and they are delicious but the dark chocolate is gooey and the white is set hard. Did I do something wrong?

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet December 17, 2012 - 6:42 pm

Oh no Sara! You did 10 ounces chocolate + 7 tablespoons cream + 1 teaspoon peppermint? I have been making them for years, but the chocolate never comes out gooey. It should be soft like a truffle, but not gooey. 🙁

Sara December 17, 2012 - 6:56 pm

Gooey was the wrong word, it is soft. Was I supposed to add the cream and extract to the white chocolate too? It seems odd that the bottom is soft and the top is hard.

Laura December 17, 2012 - 7:05 pm

I did mine in the microwave too and the dark chocolate came out really soft and the white chocolate hard. I had to leave them in the refrigerator over night to get the dark chocolate to set, and even then it was much softer than the white. They still tasted awesome! Next time i will melt the chocolate on the stove. 🙂

FarmgirlGourmet December 17, 2012 - 7:15 pm

Glad you still enjoyed them Laura. See the recipe here for an alternate way to make them in the future. I have never made them by melting the choc in the micro, so I’m not sure if that changed the consistency for you and Sara. 🙁 Sorry about that.

FarmgirlGourmet December 17, 2012 - 7:14 pm

Its supposed to be like the inside of a truffle. Typically I make them with a layer of white chocolate on the bottom, then the dark choc and a layer on top of white choc. See the recipe here I wonder if the nuker made the chocolate texture different? You can see in the photo that mine are soft, but not too soft and I photographed them shortly after making them. Maybe next time, try a thin layer of white chocolate on the bottom first. No to adding the cream/extract to the white choc.

Cathy @ Noble Pig December 14, 2012 - 9:03 pm

These make me feel like Christmas!

FarmgirlGourmet December 15, 2012 - 10:59 am

They taste like Christmas too. 🙂 xo and happy holidays!

Priscilla R. December 14, 2012 - 1:21 pm

Looks Yummy & Beautiful Heather. So festive for the holidays. FYI-They make Andes peppermint pieces (Red & White) during the holiday so I bought those to try instead of the crushed candy canes. Happy Holidays to you too!!

FarmgirlGourmet December 15, 2012 - 11:00 am

Thank you Priscilla! I love those Andes pieces. so addicting!!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking December 14, 2012 - 10:25 am

Oh baby! Forget Santa, I want these. They are so dangerous. I could eat like 100 of these!!!

Laura December 14, 2012 - 9:59 am

Great recipe! How many cups does one recipe make??

FarmgirlGourmet December 14, 2012 - 11:26 am

hi Laura. about 2 dozen. my recipe plugin wasnt working yesterday and i,forgot all about yield. 🙂

Laura December 14, 2012 - 11:30 am

Thanks. I think I’ll use them for my cookie exchange.

Laurie @ Simply Creating Home December 14, 2012 - 8:46 am

These would be so pretty to take to a Christmas party and I’m sure they’d be a hit! I’ll be pinning them to my Christmas board. 🙂

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 14, 2012 - 7:49 am

love– love mint and chocolate together!

Theresa December 14, 2012 - 6:11 am

These are so cute! I can’t wait to put them on my dessert table on Christmas. Could you please tell me how many this recipe will make? Thank you!

FarmgirlGourmet December 14, 2012 - 11:27 am

about 2 dozen …you may want to,double it. 🙂

Cassie Laemmli (@BakeYourDay) December 13, 2012 - 5:46 pm

What a fun holiday treat. I am a fool for mint and chocolate!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 13, 2012 - 11:12 am

One of my faves! Love the cup version!

inkatrinaskitchen December 13, 2012 - 11:05 am

I love these, Heather! So cute and festive!

FarmgirlGourmet December 13, 2012 - 11:07 am