My kitchen has been turning out deliciousness like a well oiled machine over the past week or so. Sweet treats, candies & of course cookies. It’s the holiday way, isn’t it? I wish I had the ability to buy my friends and neighbors a special gift, but a plate of homemade goodies is the easiest and most economical way to show them that I care and that they are thought of during the busy holiday season.
You know I love my bourbon which is evidenced here, here and here. And what goes better with Bourbon during the holidays than Eggnog? Nothing, if your name is Heather! They are SUPER easy to make and if you let them “marry” for a couple of days you just might get a buzz from eating a couple. So here’s my public service announcement: Don’t eat bourbon balls and drive. The end.
- 1 cup crushed Vanilla wafer cookies (grind in food processor)
- 1 cup powdered confectioners sugar
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup (such as Karo)
- 10 ounces egg nog flavored candy melts such as Wilton Eggnog Candy Melts
- ground nutmeg
- In a medium bowl, add the ground wafer cookies, powdered sugar, pecans and cocoa powder. Stir to combine well. Add the bourbon and corn syrup and stir until the mixture comes together and is well incorporated. Using a small hinged scoop or a teaspoon, make balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture and place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Using a double boiler, add the egg nog candy melts to the top and melt slowly. Stir the candy melts just to combine. Drop one chilled bourbon ball in the candy and using a fork flip it over to coat. Tap the fork on the side of the double boiler to remove excess candy and place back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the wet candy with a tiny pinch of ground nutmeg. Repeat with the remaining bourbon balls. Refrigerate or consume immediately.