If you like your chili meaty and hearty, then this Meaty 4 Bean Chili is calling your name! It’s easy to make and packed with deliciousness.
We have been having THE BEST fall on record. It’s been sunny, 60’s or 70’s and I have been in heaven. The only negative is that my brain says “BBQ something because its warm outside”, but my stomach says “make chili or soup because it’s fall darnit”. I gave in today and made a big humongous pot of meaty chili today and loaded it with 4 different beans. The house smelled just the way fall should smell. Well almost, it would’ve been even perfecter with pumpkin cookies baking in the oven too. 😉
This chili recipe has 2 kinds of beef. Ground and chunks of stew meat. The oldest kid said “I’m kinda diggin these chunks of beef”. Yeah, me too kid. Me too. I’m sure I’ll hear that some of you don’t think chili should have beans, but I personally like having beans in my chili, so if you want, omit them.
While the chili was bubbling away I took the opportunity to photograph a few of the toppings. With my crazy new life, playing with my camera is few and far between anymore. So when the moment arises, I have to snap to it. See what I did there? 🙂
I’m in the process of teaching myself how to use a Canon. I’ve been a Nikon girl for the longest time, but we bought a Canon for work and, well, I figured I’d better get it figured out. I’m still trying to figure out the color and focus.
This would be a great recipe in the slow cooker/crockpot. Make as directed, but when you get to the point of adding the spices, add the meat & onions to the slow cooker and proceed with adding spices, tomato etc. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 8 hours.
Meaty 4 Bean Chili
Yield 8-10 servings
Meaty 4 Bean Chili takes a little time to make but it's worth the wait.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced small
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound stew meat, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 oz bottle lager or other light beer
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can Great Northern white beans, rinsed
- Avocado Slices
- Sliced Green Onions
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large heavy pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and remove to a bowl. Heat up the pot again and add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the ground beef and stew meat and brown until the chunks are no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, salt, cumin, cinnamon and pepper and stir to combine. Pour in the lager and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, beef stock and the 4 types of beans. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 2 hours. Ladle into bowls and top with toppings of choice.
Courses Main Course