Texas Caviar

by FarmgirlGourmet

Texas caviar is an easy recipe that’s a real crowd pleaser. It makes a fair amount so halve if you don’t plan on feeding 8-12 people.

Texas Caviar via farmgirlgourmet.com

Super Bowl XLVII is fast approaching and if you’re still looking for some inspiration, this quick and tasty salsa will have your guests camping out on the bowl.  It’s addicting, somewhat healthy and did I mention addicting?  Ya, it’s really addicting.  And it’s calling my name from the fridge as I type.

Texas Caviar - via farmgirlgourmet.com

This is the first Super Bowl that we are not going to be home enjoying the game from our family room with a giant table full of goodies.  I usually plan for weeks in advance and the kids decorate with drawings and streamers, but this year we are heading across the street to the neighbors.  It’s the second year they invited us to join them and I figured it’s time we spread our Super Bowl wings and live a little outside the Farmgirl Headquarters box.  Just because I won’t be home whipping up a zillion different goodies doesn’t mean I won’t have at least 1 or 3 things in my arms on the trek across the street this Sunday.  One of the things will definitely be this Texas Caviar.  It’s simple to make, it’s loaded with veggies and the best part…you get to eat tortilla chips with it.  Have I mentioned I love tortilla chips?  My favorite kind is Juanita’s from Hood River, OR.  I can’t pass them in the market without tossing in a bag.  What’s your fave?  I’m all ears.

I’m still unsure what else I will be bringing to the party this weekend, but I bet I can find some inspiration from some of my favorite bloggers.  Check out their roundups after this recipe.

Texas Caviar

Prep

Total

Yield 8-12 servings

Texas caviar is an easy recipe that's a real crowd pleaser. It makes a fair amount so halve if you don't plan on feeding 8-12 people.

• 3 cups black eyed peas (from rehydrated dry beans or canned that have been rinsed well) or you could use black beans, such as Bush's Black Beans
  • 2 cups corn, fresh or defrosted frozen
  • 2 cups jicama, diced small
  • 1 cup red onion, minced
  • 1 medium red pepper, seeded, stemed and diced small
  • 1 medium plum tomato, cored, diced
  • 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and minced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 3 scallions, sliced thin
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • juice of half a lime

1. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate an hour or more. Serve with lots of corn tortilla chips.

Courses Appetizer

Super Bowl Recipe Roundups from my fave Food Bloggers

Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday!!

Go NINERS!  🙂

Join Aggie’s Kitchen and Real Mom Kitchen and share a family favorite Winter Comfort Food recipe for the Bush’s Beans Recipe Exchange!

14 comments

Mary Kay Bowe January 18, 2015 - 5:29 am

I made your Texas Caviar in my Bean Pot and keep it in the fridge…Just scoop a bowl to go for work! Best with Fiesta Scoops! Yummy…*

Texas Caviar Chicken and Refried Beans | bitesbybrandi July 10, 2013 - 8:26 am

[…] I made a Mexican inspired dish with my own play off of Texas caviar. If you aren’t familiar with Texas caviar, you can find the traditional recipe here. […]

Noble Pig - Cathy Pollak January 31, 2013 - 10:14 am

I love a dish like this…makes the chips seem less guilty to eat with this in between.

Milisa Armstrong January 30, 2013 - 4:06 pm

This looks wonderful! I’m not sure what kind of southerner I really am, I’ve never tried it!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife January 30, 2013 - 3:41 pm

This just looks fantastic!

EA Stewart January 29, 2013 - 10:15 pm

How did I live in Texas all those years and never try Texas Caviar? Looks delicious and I can totally see this becoming addictive! Thanks so much for sharing my Super Bowl recipe round-up Heather! Since I’m not rooting for any particular team, I hope your team wins 🙂

inkatrinaskitchen January 29, 2013 - 2:03 pm

This is one of my all-time favorite dips!! I could eat it by the spoonful!

Christine McCarthy (@OatmealBowl) January 29, 2013 - 10:16 am

I so needed to add Texas Caviar to my list! Totally forgot, yet its something I have been wanting to make. Thanks for including me in the round up!

Terri Stanfield January 29, 2013 - 8:41 am

I make one that is very similar, but I add a whole cubed avocado . . . yum!

FarmgirlGourmet January 29, 2013 - 8:43 am

I contemplated adding avocado too. I bet that’s tasty!

Jeanette's Healthy Living January 29, 2013 - 5:23 am

I first had Texas Caviar a few years back when a friend brought it to a party – love it, and so healthy too for Super Bowl! Thanks so much for sharing my Healthy Chili Roundup!

FarmgirlGourmet January 29, 2013 - 8:53 am

You’re welcome Jeanette! I was reading through and now I have a serious craving for chili!! 🙂 I am now a huge fan of Texas Caviar too. I saw it at Costco and figured I could recreate it at home. It was my first time eating/making it and I’m hooked. Thanks for commenting!

Barbara Schieving January 29, 2013 - 4:42 am

It looks fantastic. Love eating my veggies with a chip. Thanks for including my roundup link.

FarmgirlGourmet January 29, 2013 - 9:11 am

It kind of negates the purpose of the veggies….but it was worth every calorie. 🙂 You’re welcome. It’s a fantastic roundup!!

Comments are closed.