When it comes to guacamole, I am somewhat of a purest. Don’t get me wrong if you put a bowl of fancy pants guac in front of me, I will put the hurt on it, but when I make it at home, the simpler the better. My recipe is easy to make with ingredients you most likely have in your fridge and pantry.
You may be asking yourself: “Self, why did she leave the pit in the guacamole?”. Well here’s your answer – Avocados contain an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase, which when in contact with oxygen in the air, causes avocados to turn brown. Read more at HuffPost Taste.
A side note – if I was to ever be stranded on an island alone for the rest of my life and was able to choose one meal to eat every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it would be Avocado sandwiches on white bread with Best Foods/Hellman’s mayo & pepper. I could do it. Really. I ate that sandwich for lunch almost everyday growing up and still do today.
Ok, back to guacamole – the Virtual Potluck crew thought it would be fun to whip up several varieties of guacamole to whet your appetite. Grab the bag of tortilla chips and get ready to drool. I know I am!
- Winter Citrus Guacamole – Cooking With Books
- It’s Easy Being Green Guacamole – Cookistry
- Mango Guacamole – Diabetic Foodie
- Guacamole with Fennel & Green Apple – Foodhunters Guide
- Bacon-Ranch Guacamole – Miss in the Kitchen
- Pineapple Chipotle Mango Guacamole – Thyme in our Kitchen
- Super Fresh Guacamole – 30A Eats