Red, White & Blue Meringues
A super easy recipe for deliciously sweet and crunchy meringues.
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Red gel food coloring (such as Wilton)
- Blue gel food coloring
- 16 oz disposable piping bag
- 1M star tip
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the metal bowl of a stand mixer (or a regular metal bowl) add the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, salt and cream of tartar. Place over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the sugar melts and the mixture is almost clear.
- Place the bowl into the stand mixer and using the whisk attachment, whip for 7 minutes on medium-high. The meringue should be glossy and stiff.
- Using a small paint brush, brush a line of red food coloring from the piping tip up the inside of the bag. Repeat with the blue on the opposite side of the bag. Fill with the meringue and pipe into roses or whatever shape you desire. Place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Eat them. Eat them fast before anyone else finds them.
Recipe by Farmgirl Gourmet at https://www.farmgirlgourmet.com/2012/06/red-white-blue-meringues.html