A few weeks ago I heard the doorbell ring so I headed to see who it was. I was surprised by my mailman standing at the door with a box. The ground was blanketed by a foot or so of snow and he was bundled up to keep out the cold. He stood there on my stoop with a giant smile on his face and said “Why are you getting avocados in the mail?” He then proceeded to bribe me, jokingly, with not handing them over unless I gave him one. We both share a love of gardening and he often takes a handful or so of tomatoes from my summer garden on his way to the next house. So I wasn’t shocked by his facetious bribery. We chatted for a while about the weather, gardening, his family and my blog. I swear it wasn’t my diversion tactic to not share the green globes of goodness in that box, but he sauntered off forgetting all about his opening statement.
As the door closed, I bolted to the nearest sharp object to open the box. Inside was a layer of rafia and as I peeled it back, uncovered this….
- Bacon – now how can you go wrong with an avocado named bacon? Right? Delish! and they don’t really taste like bacon.
- Fuerte – This one was so creamy. It was my fave for sure.
- Pinkerton – An interesting shape with a small seed. Delish as well
- Haas – We all know this one. It’s the usual suspect at the market, but SoCal’s tasted far superior to any I’ve ever purchased at the store.
- Kale Salad with Garlic Tarragon Dressing
- Endive Salad with Stilton, Pear and Walnuts
- Spring Pea, Pepper and Goat Cheese Salad