Crispy Oven-Fried Cod
I have been making this Crispy Oven-Fried Cod for many many years. It’s quick, it’s easy and it tastes GREAT. Serve it with some Shoestring Fries and the kids will love you forever. Or at least until they are 13 at which point all bets are off unless you are bribing them to love you with an iPod Touch.
I bet you’re thinking….”she must have a teenager”. Ummm, yes you’d be correct. Our motto around here is Lead with love and make sure the Vodka bottle is never empty.
Start things off with a large zip top bag and add 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs (I make my own from the heals of sandwich bread), 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal (is there another color?) and 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.
Now is a good time to take out your aggressions on the inanimate bag. Shake it up to mix the dry ingredients.
Get your cod fillets ready for their crunchy debut. Lightly salt and pepper the fillets and then add 2 or 3 pieces to the breadcrumb mixture and shake them gently.
Dip the breadcrumb coated fish in 2 lightly beaten eggs and then put them back in the breadcrumb mixture for one last coat. This will insure that the crumbs stick to the fish.
Almost looks good enough to eat like this. Ok, maybe not. Get your oven-proof frying pan good and hot and add 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Preheat the oven to 500.
Don’t forget this part. You’ll thank me later.
Don’t you just love the kitchen “help”?
Anyone want a Labra-Bull?
He’s the new “designer dog”.
And he loves to stick his head between your legs while you cook.
Make sure you get a good crisp before flipping. You only want to fry the fish for about 1 to 2 minutes per side. 1 minute is best….so hot pan!
All flipped and ready for the oven. Transfer the frying pan to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more.
Crispy Oven-Fried Cod
3/4 c dry breadcrumbs
3/4 c yellow cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 center cut Cod fillets
salt & pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1) Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2) Combine the dry ingredients in a zip top bag and shake to mix.
3) Season the fillets with salt and pepper. Place in the bag and shake gently to coat. Shake off the excess. Dip in the egg mixture and then shake in the bag once more.
4) Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in an oven proof frying pan large enough to hold all 6 pieces. Fry until golden, about 1 minute. Turn over and fry for 1 more minute. Transfer frying pan to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more.
5) Serve with Shoestring Fries, Tartar Sauce, Chipotle Mayo or Cocktail Sauce.