This is a sponsored post.
I absolutely love using the slow cooker. The ease of popping some chicken or a pork shoulder into it in the morning and having something warm and delicious just waiting for you in the evening is pure genius. I had the opportunity, along with my fellow Virtual Potluck group, to receive a new slow cooker from Hamilton Beach along with the Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker: Family Favorites cookbook and I was definitely not turning it down.
My old slow cooker had definitely seen better days. The cooking controls were not very helpful with only warm, low and high and no way to control the hours or precise internal temperature of the meat I was cooking.
The Hamilton Beach model is amazing, in my opinion. I can set it manually, or it comes with pre-programmed times and temperatures as well as a thermometer probe for the times when I need to know the internal temp of a boston butt. I love it!
Did I mention I love it?
The cookbook is a great resource for quick and easy to prepare slow cooker meals. Some recipes are as easy as opening a few cans or jars and mixing together with meat or beans for a homey dinner. Others, like this one, require a few more steps, but are worth the extra effort.
Some of my favorite recipes in this book include:
- Turkey and Three Bean Chili
- Winter Squash Stuffed with Sausage, Mushrooms & Cranberries
- Black Bean and Rice Soup with Salsa Cream
I made these chicken wings at the beginning of the week. I had intended to photograph them the next morning for this post but when I went to the fridge I felt like Old Mother Hubbard. The wings had vanished. My anti-leftover-eating-kids had taken them for their school lunch. Yep, they’re that good. So it was back to the slow cooker drawing board.
You definitely need to check out the recipes from the rest of the Virtual Potluck team for this post and giveaway.
Chile Colorado Enchiladas
Steak Fajitas with Cilantro Yogurt Cream
Fennel Leek Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Pork Chops
Split Pea Soup with Ham
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Now that you’re drooling, how would you like to WIN the cookbook and the slow cooker? Serious! Fill out this rafflecopter entry form and you could win one of 8 slow cookers and cookbooks.
A quick slow cooker recipe for mustard glazed chicken wings and a sweet and sour dipping sauce.
- 2/3 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 pounds chicken wings, cut into joints, with bony wing tips cut off and reserved for another use.
- 2 cups apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Coat the inside of the crock with butter-flavored or olive oil nonstick cooking spray. In the crock, combine the mustard, olive oil, salt, black pepper, and cayenne with a spoon. Add the wings to the crock and toss to coat with mustard mixture. Spray the wings lightly with some cooking spray. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. If possible, stir gently halfway through the cooking time, bringing the bottom wings to the top.
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes to melt the brown sugar and preserves.
- Serve the wings hot with the warm dipping sauce on the side.
Use a large round or oval slow cooker.
Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of the cookbook Not Your Mothers Slow Cooker: Family Favorites as well as a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker. I was not, however, compensated monetarily.