Looking for a refreshing summer salad? Well, look no further. This roasted beet salad with sweet green grapes and tangy goat cheese croutons will satisfy the hungriest eater. The recipe is from Chef Ben Sargent of Hook, Line & Dinner on Cooking Channel TV from his 2000 mile journey to surprise a scientist stuck in the desert with fresh food. Want to know more? Read on…..
I was recently contacted by GE about a new ad campaign for their french door refrigerator called GE Freshpedition. It’s a fun adventure where Justin Berger, a GE Engineer, hops in a truck with Ben Sargent, a celebrity chef from Hook, Line & Dinner at the Louisville, Kentucky GE Appliance factory and head 2000 miles with a GE french door fridge strapped to the back. They are tasked with sourcing fresh food along the way to fill the fridge before they arrive in the remote desert of Texas and cook it up.
Check out Episode 1 below. It’s pretty comical!
There will be 4 more installments in the coming weeks and you can follow along at www.freshpedition.com. You can also enter to win your very own GE Profile French Door Refrigerator by checking out the Where’s Ron sweepstakes on Facebook.
Let’s make some salad? Shall we?
A quick roasted beet salad with sweet green grapes, crisp greens & tangy fried goat cheese.
- 1 large beet (3 medium or 8 baby), scrubbed and tops removed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces goat cheese (firm kind usually sold in logs)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil8 cups romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn into pieces
- 1 cup bib lettuce, washed, dried
- 1 cup arugula, washed, dried
- 1 bunch seedless grapes, washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place beets in aluminum foil and drizzle with the 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, wrap and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature and remove skins. Slice into thin rounds. Set aside.
- Slice the goat cheese into 8 equal rounds. Place the flour, egg and panko on separate plates. Toss each slice of goat cheese in flour, then egg and finally in panko. Set aside. Heat the 1 cup vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the cheese until golden about 1 minute, flip over and repeat. Drain on paper towels. Cheese should not be runny.
- Combine lettuces in a large bowl. Add grapes, croutons, 2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat. Add the sliced beets and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.