I have a confession. I totally messed up on this month’s Secret Recipe Club. I wrote down that my post wasn’t due until Friday the 29th, when in fact, it was due today! As it turns out I was given a new blog last minute. Like today. It’s a blog that I love, and follow from the UK called Lavender & Lovage. I’ve had the pleasure of making one of Karen’s recipes before in a previous SRC post for Curried Carrot and Apple Soup. Karen has a ton of great recipes on her blog, so don’t miss it!
For this impromptu post, I was so happy to find a quick Mexican Chicken recipe that I knew my husband and kids would love. I substituted shrimp in this recipe to accommodate the protein I had on hand. The verdict: we all loved it! This may be my new go-to recipe for a quick Mexican inspired dinner.
Be sure to check out the other SRC posts below.
A super quick recipe for a satisfying Mexican-inspired dinner of Mexican Shrimp, Tomato and Chili Wraps.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or vegetable)
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 large tomato, large diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 24 medium shrimp, shelled & deveined
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- arugula leaves or baby lettuce mix, to serve
- Heat a large frying pan and spray with cooking spray. Add the corn tortillas one at a time and fry on each side until just starting to color. Remove to a tortilla warmer, or aluminum foil. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Keep warm in a low oven.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil in a medium skillet. Add the onions and saute until they begin to color. Add the tomato, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder and cook until the tomatoes start to break down, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp turn pink. Remove and serve immediately with avocado and arugula.
Check out these other great weeknight recipes: