I have a confession. I totally messed up on this month’s Secret Recipe Club. I wrote down that my post wasn’t due until Friday the 29th, when in fact, it was due today! As it turns out I was given a new blog last minute. Like today. It’s a blog that I love, and follow from the UK called Lavender & Lovage. I’ve had the pleasure of making one of Karen’s recipes before in a previous SRC post for Curried Carrot and Apple Soup. Karen has a ton of great recipes on her blog, so don’t miss it!
For this impromptu post, I was so happy to find a quick Mexican Chicken recipe that I knew my husband and kids would love. I substituted shrimp in this recipe to accommodate the protein I had on hand. The verdict: we all loved it! This may be my new go-to recipe for a quick Mexican inspired dinner.
Be sure to check out the other SRC posts below.
Mexican Shrimp, Tomato & Chili Wraps
A super quick recipe for a satisfying Mexican-inspired dinner of Mexican Shrimp, Tomato and Chili Wraps.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or vegetable)
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 large tomato, large diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 24 medium shrimp, shelled & deveined
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- arugula leaves or baby lettuce mix, to serve
- Heat a large frying pan and spray with cooking spray. Add the corn tortillas one at a time and fry on each side until just starting to color. Remove to a tortilla warmer, or aluminum foil. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Keep warm in a low oven.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil in a medium skillet. Add the onions and saute until they begin to color. Add the tomato, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder and cook until the tomatoes start to break down, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp turn pink. Remove and serve immediately with avocado and arugula.
Recipe courtesy of www.farmgirlgourmet.com. Reprinting without permission is unethical.
Check out these other great weeknight recipes: