I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to go eat some Malabar Chicken Curry!
This is a quick and easy recipe for Malabar Chicken Curry that the whole family will love. The spices are subtle and not overpowering.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large yellow onions, halved and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons garam masala (recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless cut into bite sized pieces
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Slightly adapted from www.aspicyperspective.com
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds*
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds*
- 4 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 3 star anise, whole*
- 2 teaspoons cloves, whole
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 small nutmeg, whole*
- 1 puya chile, whole, dried*
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, or 2 tablespoons whole green pods
- Heat a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onions, garam masala and salt and stir to coat. Turn the heat down to medium and cover. Allow the onions to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and translucent and have reduced considerably.
- Add the ginger, garlic, tomatoes, chili powder and chili flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes are almost completely incorporated into the onion mixture.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. If it's too dry, add boiling water 1/4 cup at a time to achieve a thinner consistency.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot cooked jasmine rice and naan
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all whole spices (except ground cardamom). Toast until fragrant, but not burned.
- Add all whole spices and ground cardamom to a spice or coffee grinder and pulse until all spices have been pulverized.
- Store in an airtight container.
*Note - whole exotic spices are readily available at stores like Cost Plus World Market.