With the weather cooling down for the fall, there’s nothing better than a warm bowl of chili and a slab of cornbread drizzled in honey and enrobed in melted butter. This turkey & yam chili is super easy to make and packed with flavor. Make this chili recipe on your next football sunday to feed a crowd.
This Turkey & Yam Chili is easy to make and incredibly satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 big pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 large yams, peeled and diced
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can water (fill after adding tomatoes)
- 1/2 orange, zested
- Cilantro & bite sized bacon bits (optional, but everything tastes better with bacon), for serving
- In a large pot, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions and red pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and soft. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt and stir to combine. Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally until no longer pink, about 7-8 minutes. Add the yams, black beans, crushed tomatoes, water and zest and stir. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Taste for salt and pepper and season if necessary.
- Serve with torn cilantro leaves and crispy bacon bits if desired. And don't forget the cornbread