Chickpea Tacos with Cabbage Apple Slaw & Guacamole

Chickpea Tacos with Cabbage Apple Slaw, Guacamole and a Jicama Blood Orange Salad

I know Wednesday is not “Meatless Monday” but after reading a post at www.thetomatotart.com about Chickpea Tacos, I knew I had to make them.  Right away!

If you have ever seen my freezer, you’d know that I have frozen beans of all kinds.  I make big pots of them from dried beans and then freeze them for future use.  Yesterday morning I was fumbling through the freezer and happened on a bag of chickpeas (aka garbanzos, ceci, chana).  I absolutely love chickpeas and could eat a thousand handfuls of them daily.  Seriously.  Anyway, chickpeas are now on my brain and I happen upon an update from Sabrina at The Tomato Tart  about Chickpea Tacos.  I’ve never had a chickpea taco, or heard of them.  After reading her amazing post, I knew I had to give them a try.  I first ran the idea by the 9 year old and he was excited to say the least.  Next up was the teen.  Would she scoff at the idea of no meat?  She loves meat and cheese and sour cream and anything with a carb in it.  Anyway, she was hesitant but I could see she was willing to give it a shot.  After the first bite – the sound of success…..MMMMMM’s.  The teen “when can you make these again?”.  The Hubs “these are great”.  The 9 year old “abajeja nom nom klajdljf”  He talks with his mouth full.

Fresh, warm corn tortillas made by the ALMOST 13 year old. (tomorrow)

You should definitely give this a try.  They are easy to make, even though the ingredient list looks long, you are using the same ingredients for the slaw and the guacamole.  I adapted the recipe from www.thetomatotart.com because I’m not a huge fan of zucchini, but if you are, I encourage you to give her recipe a try.

Strap on your Vegan seatbelt and let’s get to it.  Here we go!

Chickpea Tacos with Cabbage Apple Slaw & Guacamole
[Print]

Chickpeas
2 cups chickpeas (either from dried that have been cooked or from canned that have been rinsed)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed in mortar and pestal

Cabbage Apple Slaw
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced into thin strips
1 red apple, quartered, cored and grated (including skin)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small red onion, sliced into thin strips
3 tbsp olive oil (or grapeseed oil)
juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/2 small jalapeno, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
heavy pinch of salt
black pepper to taste

Guacamole
2 large ripe avocados, skin removed and cut into large dice
1/2 small red onion, minced
juice from 1/2 lime
2 tbsp cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/2 small jalapeno, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
heavy pinch of salt

Warmed corn or flour tortillas

1 Mix all chickpea ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
2 Mix all of the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well to combine, set aside.
3 Add all guacamole ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine make sure to mash some of the avocado to bind the guacamole.
4 On fresh made tortillas (or warmed store bought) mound the chickpeas, slaw and guacamole. Fold in half, take a giant bite, release the “mmmm’s” and come back here and make a comment.

Serves 6-8

moonsword
    May 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’ve been hunting for vegan Cinco de Mayo recipes…this is perfect and doable and superyumful! Many thanks!

moonsword
    May 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Elle
    May 3, 2011 at 9:38 am

Um…wow! what a great idea! And now I’m obsessed. Must make!

Farmgirl Gourmet
    April 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

@Elaine – by “tomorrow” I meant my daughters birthday. She turned 13 the next day after making the tortillas. 🙂 She just follows the recipe on the bag of Masa Harina. You can buy it at any supermarket in the ethnic food aisle. I hope that’s helpful. Sorry for the confusion! 🙂 Tomorrow will be a fun post about a dinner party we had tonight. Lots of great food and a fun “concept”. Stay tuned!

tinkerverve
    April 30, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I found you through your comment on the “Hunter, Angler, Gardener” blog…I thought I recognized your name from Facebook friends so I popped over. I live north of Spokane and we LOVE our E.WA life too. who knows…maybe we’ll meet someday! 😉
    This recipe looks amazing. Would love the tortilla recipe. You have ‘tomorrow’ typed there so that makes me think it might show up here tomorrow… Elaine

Karen
    April 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

I can get on board with Meatless Wednesday when things look like this! The tacos sound really tasty, especially with those toppings. Cabbage apple slaw…yum!

kpaints
    April 28, 2011 at 6:36 am

That sure looks and sounds great…and I could eat it…no meat. The kids…are just great…lucky you! Hubby too!

Sabrina Modelle
    April 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Love this variation on the theme and your cabbage apple slaw is mouthwatering. The photos are gorgeous. Yum yum. Next time we do chickpea tacos, we’ll try them this way. Love it!

Katie
    April 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I love, love, love beans. These look great.

Cooking Rookie
    April 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

I am so impressed – especially with the tortillas 🙂

Marnely Rodriguez
    April 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

I like that these seem healthy and I’m not the biggest fan of whole chickpeas but might just give this a try. Like every other thing you make. I’m starting a Heather Bucket List of things I gotta make! looks great! 🙂

Julie
      February 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Made them tonight. Amazing!!!!!!