Charcuterie Changed My Life

Fried Egg, Sharp Cheddar & Canadian Bacon on an Onion Bagel
About 4 weeks ago I would have never thought for a second about curing, smoking or salting my own meat.  I would’ve passed it off as something that only a “pro” could handle.  Not little ole me.  I would have no idea where to begin, yadda yadda yadda.  Well, I have been proven wrong in a big way.
After joining in on Charcutepalooza and purchasing Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing, reading through the list of what I needed to get started, I set out to purchase a Pork Loin.  I roasted half of it for a Sunday Family Dinner and the other half (after cleaning of all fat) went straight in a pot with salt, fresh thyme, fresh sage and crushed garlic and brined in the fridge for 2 days.  I convinced the Hubs to buy me a beginner smoker from the home improvement store and I was ready to smoke my very first Canadian Bacon.  It was all a little nerve-wracking since I’d never done it before and how would I know when it’s done or how many briquettes or what if I add too much of the wood chips.  You know, those questions of doubt that fill our heads when we try something new for the first time.  Anyway, I just dove in and did what I thought was right and the end result was Meat Magic.  Smoky, a little salty and a whole lot of good!  If you’ve ever wanted to give it a shot, now’s the time.  Buy the book and start tomorrow.  You won’t be disappointed and it may very well change your life as well.

This is post smoker.  The black bits are Thyme leaves that didn’t get rinsed off before the bacon was smoked.

Look how gorgeous this is?  The best part of smoking this Canadian Bacon was knowing EXACTLY what was used to brine it and how it was smoked.  I really like knowing where and how my food was prepared.  No bad unknown ingrediets = Happy Farmgirl

We decided to make Canadian Bacon Pizza for dinner the night that the bacon was smoked.  I’ve never seen my boys fight over the last piece before.  There was some serious negotiations going on at the dinner table that night and I think the 9 year old won!

So that’s it.  Are you inspired?  It really is quite easy and you could be on your way to smoking in a very short period of time.  I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Here’s the book – order it today!:

Julia
    December 7, 2012 at 11:39 am

I was wondering what type of smoker you purchased and what type is recommended by the book (wet, dry, electric etc etc)? Am thinking of giving it a go! Thanks:-)

December 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi Julia. I bought the Brickman smoker/bbq which is good for just starting out but maintaining consistent temperature is nearly impossible with charcoal. I would recommend using either propane or electric with a thermostat. I have asked Santa to bring me one. 🙂 Best of luck on your charcuterie adventure. it’s a lot easier than you imagine and the taste is incredible!! I highly recommend the book by Michael Ruhlman.

Carolyn
    April 11, 2011 at 8:15 am

Good for you, I think that’s awesome. I’ve seen a lot of people doing it, and may try my own hand at it sometime. Yours looks great!

Katrina
    April 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

This is such a great idea! I love the idea of “smoking” with a group, and what better collective goal than to have some deliciously homemade smoked/cured/salted meat at the end? Your breakfast sandwich is making me drool right now!

Lynn
    April 11, 2011 at 4:41 am

I am afraid my home-made bacon has created a bacon-snob-for-life out of my 12-yo! He ordered a BLT in a restaurant for lunch yesterday, then wouldn’t eat it because he said the bacon was tasteless. Oh well, there are worse things… I’m glad your canadian bacon turned out well. Mine’s a little smoky. I like the pizza idea!

Adryon
    April 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Lovely! I’ve made the bacon and am hoping to do the corned beef next – but you may have changed my mind though!! This is beautiful!

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle
    April 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Don’t you love makin bacon? Well, I haven’t exactly yet but will. I did make corned beef which I’m sure you know and so know how you feel…knowing everything that went into that process and none of them chemicals? Then the flavor reward…oh my. Next weekend…I am hoping bacon. I got my belly. 🙂