Homemade Granola Bars – Never Buy Them At The Store Again!

This recipe, which I adapted from Laura’s Best Recipes, is so easy and so easily adaptable that I don’t know if I’ll ever buy granola bars again!  Yes, you heard me right.  I was able to whip them up in less than an hour and the kids and husband gave them 2 thumbs up!  Add dried fruit, chocolate chips, chopped mini marshmallows – the possibilities are endless!!  One of the best parts of these granola bars is that you can “hide” the good stuff from the little people.  By the good stuff, I’m referring to healthy ingredients like bran and flax meal.  They will never know the difference, unless you let them read this post.  Don’t do that!  Ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to bran!  Here’s the recipe.  Enjoy!!

Homemade Granola Bars
{Printable Recipe}

2 c old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c raw sunflower seeds
1 c slivered almonds, chopped
1/2 c bran or wheat germ
1/4 flax meal
1/2 c honey
1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
1 oz butter (plus extra for the baking dish)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c whey protein powder
6 1/2 oz of chopped; chocolate chips, dried fruit, mini marshmallows, M&M’s – whatever makes your heart flutter!

1) Butter a 9 by 9 inch glass baking dish and set aside.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2) In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, bran and flax meal.  Spread on a sheet pan.  Toast in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally from the outside edges.

3) Combine the honey, brown sugar, butter and vanilla in a medium saucepan.  Cook until the brown sugar has dissolved into the honey.  Keep warm until the oats come out of the oven.  Do not boil.

4) Pour the toasted oats back in to the large bowl and add the salt, protein powder and fruit and/or chocolate chips.  Stir to combine and then pour in the honey and brown sugar mixture.  Turn the oven down to 300 degrees.  Pour the oat mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down to evenly distribute.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool completely.  Run a knife around the edges of the dish to release the granola mixture and place on a cutting board.  Cut into squares or rectangles.  Store in an airtight container for up to a week.

This recipe was adapted from Laura’s Best Recipes.  Check out her amazing blog by following the link.

September 25, 2015 at 7:30 am

I will be making these Tuesday and I will add orange zest and dark chocolate covered cranberries chopped . I will let you know thanks

February 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Have made these like 4 or 5 times. Easy and yummy everytime. Not too many things only take 10-15 minutes of hands on work and you get a healthy snack. Wow they are so good. So hard to let them cool enough to be cut and not crumble when they smell so great. If anyone else has the waiting problem and some of them crumble – they are good for breakfast the next day with some greek yogurt. Just keep the crumbled bits in a ziplock bag until breakfast. My son and I made these with peanut m&ms this afternoon. Turned out great. So colorful 🙂 I blogged about it and gave you credit for this amazing recipe: http://noreservations4lunchdinner.blogspot.com/2013/02/nutty-m-granola-bars.html

February 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm

so glad you’re enjoying them Stephanie. Love your M&M adaptation. I need to try that next time around. I’m sure my kiddos would really approve. 🙂

May 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

i tried making these for the first time today – wow! so good. thank you so much for another great recipe!

March 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

These look fab…gonna try them! I am a follower but not listed on my blog list…crazy. I will see if I can fix this….

Farmgirl Gourmet
    March 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm

@Denton Den They are super filling! How is WW going? You’re going to Cali without ME? 🙂 Can I fit in a suitcase? At the very least, can you bring me back some sunshine? lol I hope you all have a blast! Love ya!

Denton Den
    March 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Heather! I think these will have to wait until I get back from Cali! All of my spare time is dedicated to getting us ready! I started weight watchers and just wanted to know about how many points these would be. I’m assuming they would be very filling, am I right? Thanks for the recipe!

Farmgirl Gourmet
    March 9, 2011 at 2:04 pm

@Denton Den Monica, depending on how big you make them, you could get 8-10 bars or fewer if you want them bigger. Make sure that you don’t press them too aggressively in the pan or they will be quite dense. Can’t wait to hear how your “Doctor” them. 🙂 Love ya! ~H

Farmgirl Gourmet
    March 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm

@Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } Thanks for popping in Lisa! I hope you have a divine week too!! Send us up some San Fran weather. It snowed here AGAIN yesterday. Ugh – my Cali blood is begging to go “home”. 🙂

Denton Den
    March 8, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Sounds yummy! About how many bars does this recipe make?

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet }
    March 8, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I adore a great granola bar. Never thought to make them from scratch. Now I have a wonderful recipe to try. Have a divine week!