I know some of you have seen this post before, and if you made it, you’re probably thanking me now for reminding you how good it was. Being the food-experimenter that I am, I only have a small handful of recipes that I make over and over again. This recipe is one of those. There’s just something about it that I love. Maybe it’s the crisp crunch of bell pepper or the smooth peanut sauce or maybe it’s just the whole thing on my plate. I just adore it. And crave it. A lot. You can cut down the spiciness of this dish by using less red curry paste or more if you like your eyelids to sweat, your choice. I hope you give this one a try. Oh, if you’re not a shellfish eater, I’ve made it in the past with Chicken to equally amazing results.
Thai Noodles with Peanut Sauce
5 Star Thai Noodles with Peanut Sauce
8 oz rice noodles
1 c vegetable broth
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp red curry paste (or more if you like it hot)
3/4 tsp coarse salt
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 lbs shrimp
2 medium red peppers, cut into think strips
1/4 c green onions, sliced
1/4 c basil, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp dry roasted peanuts, chopped
1 lime, cut into wedges
1) place 1 cup peanuts in the food processor, process until they make a smooth peanut butter.
2) in a large serving bowl add the red pepper, green onions and basil, set aside.
3) in a medium stock pot, bring water to a boil and add the rice noodles. cook until the pasta is no longer chewy. drain and place the noodles in the serving bowl.
4) in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the shrimp in a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray until just pink. add to the serving bowl.
5) in the same saute pan over medium-high heat, add the 4 eggs and scramble with a spatula until just cooked. add to the serving bowl.
6) add the peanut butter and vegetable stock to the saute pan and cook until it begins to bubble. add the brown sugar, ginger, curry paste, salt and garlic and boil for 2-3 minutes. add the peanut sauce to the food processor and let stand 5 minutes. add the rice vinegar to the peanut sauce and process until smooth. add the sauce to the serving bowl and toss all ingredients together. sprinkle with the remaining chopped peanuts and serve with the lime wedges.