Tonight we headed to WalMart to buy gifts for the family we “adopted” for the holidays. By the time we got home I knew it was going to be a “throw it together” kind of dinner. The result, one word….Mmmmmm. Ok, I have no idea if that’s a word, but that’s what was coming out of all of our mouths. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Corn & Sausage & Black Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, heat the oil and saute the onion and red pepper and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin & chili powder and saute another 30 seconds. Add black beans, tomatoes, tomato paste & chicken stock and simmer.
- In a skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute the corn until it begins to show a little color, about 8-10 minutes. Add to the stock pot.
- In the same skillet, brown the sausage. With a slotted spoon, add the sausage to the stock pot. Simmer the chowder for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped cilantro, cubed avocado, shredded cheese, strips of baked corn tortillas and a dollop of sour cream if desired. Delicioso!
Recipe courtesy of www.farmgirlgourmet.com. Reprinting without permission is unethical.